nitog has been hacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I have a MAC and when I click on the Mobil 1 it take me directly to their website and nothing else shows up.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I have a MAC and when I click on the Mobil 1 it take me directly to their website and nothing else shows up.

Johnny,
I don't have a MAC but I go directly to their sit as well. CLICK-CLICK-CLICK.

Look at your URL field when you click (assuming that it opens up a new tab or window when it does) ..doubleclick flashes for a brief time ..then to M1's site. I can't backtrack from M1's site (no back arrow) ..but you definitely go to doubleclick.

Here are the properties of the image:

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;212829148;34168281;j?http://www.mobiloil.com

I don't know what significance this has in terms of how many cups of coffee I'll drink today ..but some appear to attach meaning to it
21.gif

What's to fret? I'm glad that Helen is getting support for the site.

One things for sure, this site reaches some pretty high stations in the industry. Whether it's because of information or misinformation ..comedy or dark comedy..it's gathered its share of attention.

What can be bad about that?
21.gif

Many--possibly the majority--of the web sites that have ads like that run through doubleclick.net. It is common practice for companies like Google, Yahoo!, etc to have that. It is a means of keeping track of the number of visitors, and with a trusted site probably isn't malicious in nature. There are even browser plug-ins and software suites that block images from stuff like that to keep you from clicking on them if you are that worried.

The fact that there are a couple bell-ringers here who try to be as loud as possible about their seemingly unwarranted disdain for Mobil 1 is getting old and chasing a neutral person like me away. Whether or not you like the product or agree/disagree with its business practices is beside the point. If you don't like it, don't click on the link. Just be grateful that a company like XOM has noticed this site and is paying to help keep it alive. Maybe they'll even read some of the "expert" posts from their bashers and "fix" their product that is so "terrible" for the stated reasons which are normally horribly wrong in their logic and reasoning.

I was pointed to this site by several who said there are some very knowledgeable people here with great advice. Unfortunately the good people of this site are over-shadowed by some of the idiots who partake in questionable discussions and try to call out some of the most knowledgeable people I’ve talked to in years about automotive engine oil.

Last edited:
Anyone have a link to Mobil 1's response to the IVa wear tests, seriously. Seems odd they surfaced at BitOG without one in-hand. Perhaps they would like us to craft one for them, since their own staff is pretty useless.

Last Mobil promo I remember was the codes-under-the-caps like a Willie Wonka Golden Ticket award. By the time I was using the oil, the promo had closed, I never even typed a single cap code into the computer. I actually like the idea if it were to win some free oil (yay) and it was not based on codes, just "YOU WIN!!" I know they want to drag people to the web site, but how many consumers really bothered? Make the site good and people will come, regardless. Look at what Lubrizol has done.

I'm trying to be helpfull here. Many M1 lovers are pretty uninformed to the point they have fetishized the product.

Mobil, give us a product that is clearly better then others and we will support it...not a WORSE product!

Even the EP line has been a let-down.

Castrol's Edge brings a powerfull message to the market. People WANT a "super premium" oil. The Edge carries A5, hopefull the newest A5, but Mobil toils with a lame A1 spec on their 0w-30?

Euro-quality oils are a hit w/consumers. Just look at the GC craze! Thw one M1 produt I would use 0w-30 (other than the Hi-Mi oils) does not bring confidence when the 5w-30 is lame and there is no decent spec on it. One thing Lubrizol's oil spec tool taught us is that SPECS ARE EVERYTHING.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

I'm trying to be helpfull here. Many M1 lovers are pretty uninformed to the point they have fetishized the product.

Mobil, give us a product that is clearly better then others and we will support it...not a WORSE product!

Even the EP line has been a let-down.

Castrol's Edge brings a powerfull message to the market. People WANT a "super premium" oil. The Edge carries A5, hopefull the newest A5, but Mobil toils with a lame A1 spec on their 0w-30?

Euro-quality oils are a hit w/consumers. Just look at the GC craze! Thw one M1 produt I would use 0w-30 (other than the Hi-Mi oils) does not bring confidence when the 5w-30 is lame and there is no decent spec on it. One thing Lubrizol's oil spec tool taught us is that SPECS ARE EVERYTHING.

Crazed about M1, and there is the GC crowd, the PP party,so to single out 1 brand and it's followers is hypocritical.

A couple thousand crazed nuts do but why is SF rated oil a big seller at Wal-Mart??? John Q Public wants CHEAP!

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Anyone have a link to Mobil 1's response to the IVa wear tests, seriously. Seems odd they surfaced at BitOG without one in-hand. Perhaps they would like us to craft one for them, since their own staff is pretty useless.

Here is info from M1 Ask Mobil website:

Rebut Amsoil's Wear Scar Testing
Being a customer of Mobil 1 since the mid-1970s, I have noticed a number of websites that assert Amsoil is better, such as the following: "20W-50 Mobil 1 Supersyn leaves a wear scar over 5 times that of the AMSOIL (0.454 mm for AMSOIL vs. 2.026 mm for Mobil 1)!... The Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W-30 leaves a wear scar 5 times that of the AMSOIL 0W-30 (0.374 for AMSOIL & 1.842 for Mobil-1)! Same thing goes for... Mobil 1 5W-30 at 0.667 mm Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W-30 allows for a 1.842 mm wear scar compared to the AMSOIL Series 0W-30 Severe Service which only allows for a 0.374 mm wear scar. That means, Mobil 1 0W-30 allows for 5 times the wear that AMSOIL 0W-30 does!" Although I would never run any oil as long as they do in some of these tests at 25,000 to 35,000 miles, I wonder if at shorter change intervals there would also be similar margins. Please put my mind at ease with verifiable, independent data that I am, in fact, doing the best I can by remaining a Mobil 1 customer.
-- Mike Jansen, Lakeway, TX

Answer:
See the answer on oil film strength [posted below]. Look beyond bench tests and look to the real world where Mobil 1 is recommended by OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) worldwide as original equipment in their vehicles.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Oil Film Strength of Mobil 1 Compared with Royal Purple
Does Mobil 1 have less oil film strength than Royal Purple? I have seen many times the friction test of oils using the machine that test the oil film, test result shows that Royal Purple has more friction protection that Mobil 1 does, seeing these results makes me think that Mobil 1 is lacking some benefits, therefore Royal Purple has the better protection of all.
-- Guillermo Tristani, Miami, OR

Answer:
There are certain oils in the market today that use EP (extreme pressure) additives in their engine oil that are really designed for gear oils and not engine oils. Extreme pressure additives are typically not used in engine oils for a number of reasons but the most important is because they can cause engine corrosion over time. The rigs being used in these demonstrations are primarily designed for industrial applications like gear oils where extreme pressure is an important performance feature you need. These demonstration rigs have very little to do with modern engines and that is the reason that market leading oils in the industry perform poorly in these tests.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I still can't figure out how someone can "hate" an oil ..
54.gif

What if a jug of that oil fell off a shelf and onto their head and rendered them unconscious? Then I could understand them hating it!
43.gif

Let's start making Helen some money to support this site. We need CLICK-THRU's. Click on the M1 link like Chicagoans vote, early & often.

The amount of click-thru's helps determine if M1 STAYS as a site sponsor. I dunno if BITOG gets a percentage of every click-thru but it couldn't hurt, either.

Audi Junkie,
What's wrong with M1s web site? I think it gives a lot of info about their products, is easy to use, is colorful, and most of all does not use their bully pulpit to bash other companies with silly test they perform thie self.

Yes! Lets CLICK_CLICK_CLICK.

Last edited:
Nitrogen In Tires Oh Gosh?
Nothing Is Thin, Oil's Gooey
Now I'm Tired, Obbop's Gone

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I still can't figure out how someone can "hate" an oil ..
54.gif

What if a jug of that oil fell off a shelf and onto their head and rendered them unconscious? Then I could understand them hating it!
43.gif

Lawlz

just for the record, I have clicked on it.

in response to Mark888's post -

"Answer:
See the answer on oil film strength [posted below]. Look beyond bench tests and look to the real world where Mobil 1 is recommended by OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) worldwide as original equipment in their vehicles."

OK, so would many of us, who are engineers, scientists, or some such, agree to overlook test data just because we don't like it?

edit - if bench tests should be looked beyond, what purpose do they serve in achieving certifications, and what do certifications really mean? this response strikes at the heart of the purpose of certifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back