Pressed Pennies

My son wanted them wherever we went and now there's a large folder with hundreds of them from all over the country. They cost me only 51 cents each. :ROFLMAO: Does anybody else here have a bunch of those?

On a side note, for $20 I will sign your $1 note. 😜

Here are few pressed pennies from California. From the left top to the bottom right: Yosemite (Half Dome), Point Reyes National Seashore (Elk), Drive-through tree (in Leggett), Point Reyes Light, USS Pampanito WW2 submarine (Baleo Class)

You stirred up some good memories...I'll have to find mine.
I only found the ones in the picture. I don't know where the others are. I may have left them at my old place in the city when I moved. I will have to check. I have quite a few pressed pennies from aviation museums that depict nice planes.

There used to be a machine here in town that you could make those. It cost 10 cents. You inserted a dime and a penny and got to choose what you wanted on it.

There used to be a machine here in town that you could make those. It cost 10 cents. You inserted a dime and a penny and got to choose what you wanted on it.
Usually, they charge is 50 cents but sometimes they will give you a free penny. Sometimes we had to go back to the car and go treasure hunting under the seats.

Last edited:
All the smashed pennies I've see have curvature to them. They're more rolled than pressed. I used to get smashed pennies for a co-worker that collected them. The last ones I got were from Casa De Fruita

All the smashed pennies I've see have curvature to them. They're more rolled than pressed. I used to get smashed pennies for a co-worker that collected them. The last ones I got were from Casa De Fruita
They do have a slight curvature. The coin gets run between two rollers, one of which is a die with the design on it.

We were too poor as kid's to waste pennies on the railroad tracks when you could buy a gallon of gas for .20 cents. You could also buy a lot of candy for a nickel. We would re-purpose bb's from a bb gun when target shooting. We had nothing when we were kids but lived in a good solid home with good parents.

We made our own on the railroad tracks. ;)
I tried this multiple times as a kid, and we could never find the penny after :(

My kids probably have a jar of pressed pennies around somewhere from the machines. It was honestly a good deal - they always wanted a souvenir, and for $1.02 they both got one.

Today's zinc centered cent coins often yield souvenirs with indistinct, grey and copper colored edges.
It's just another indicator of the decay of society.

Funny, I climbed Half Dome in 1976 and there was no cent squisher at the top? ?
Yes, we save the old pennies for the press. Figured that out early on.

I tried this multiple times as a kid, and we could never find the penny after :(
Sometimes the penny will stick to the wheel and travel down the track before falling off. Sometimes the penny doesn't get squashed but boings off. That happens with slow-moving trains. We often superglued the coins to the track. 🤣

We get these at just about every place that we visit. Here’s a small sample of what we have from the past few years. They’ve been tossed into a cup in the office waiting to be put away. The rest are stored away with all of our old photos.

IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1320.jpeg

Back