Have you ever spoken a eulogy?

Yes. For both of my grandparents. They wanted no formal funeral & wished for a small select group of friends & family to be in attendance to spread their ashes off the coast of Morro Bay. There was just over 20 of us there, scattered from 4 different states and likely the last time we will be in one place together.

Several times. I haven't done "the" eulogy but I've spoken when they ask the crowd to share beloved memories.

The way I look at it is, why would I go, and NOT say something?

Incidentally, I knock these speeches out of the park! One of my oddball skills.

What's most important is to talk nice about the departed., even when you feel they didn't deserve the kind remarks.
They can hear whenever their name gets mentioned and also they can react too.

We surely don't want them reacting to unkind remarks. They can scare the bejeevers out of you. I'm a witness to one of those. Had an instantaneous blowout of front tire at 45 MPH after saying something not-so-nice. Learned my lesson real quick at a young age.

Their physical body may be dead. But not their soul/spirit.

No, although at my FIL’s funeral a family member asked if I could read his remembrance for him. I don’t like public speaking but since it wasn’t anything I had written, and it was well written, I was able to speak it without issue.

But I have no desire to give the eulogy at my parents funerals. We haven’t spoken about it, and I suspect they don’t have strong wishes, but as the oldest child I do wonder if there aren’t expectations there.

And no desire to speak at anyone else’s funerals. No desire to do my grieving before an audience, cathartic or not.
Ya. I've been thinking of writing it now rather than when it's needed.

Ya. I've been thinking of writing it now rather than when it's needed.
I think it wise. Not too many give speeches of any sort without any sort of outline in front of them: add in an emotionally charged time and I doubt anyone would "judge" you for reading from a paper, rather than giving some sort of entertaining and engaging speech completely off the cuff.

Back