Nissan XOM full synthetic 0w20 for VK56

I bought my first-ever truck today, a 2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X. Fully loaded and at a great price with the end-of-year deals and haggling. It's got the trusty VK56VD in it and the manual calls for 0w20 every 5k. This motor was revised for 2017 where they made it direct injection and bumped the power up via premium fuel, but it is still a tried-and-true design from the early 2000s.

Based on the PQIA analysis, the Nissan-branded 0w20 appears to be a pretty stout formula made by ExxonMobil. API SN / ILSAC GF-5.
Genuine Nissan Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil API SN/ILSAC GF-5 (pqiadata.org)

This truck will be my new daily driver (the Corvette will become a weekend/track car) so will see a mix of short trips and highway runs. I will be towing the Corvette periodically as well. I'm thinking I will just stick with the Nissan oil unless there's a compelling reason not to. Discuss. Also, gratuitous truck photos below!

Attachments

• IMG_5490.JPEG
    IMG_5490.JPEG
    181.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 129
That engine has been around since 2011 in the Infiniti QX56 (direct injection). If it were mine I’d use whatever oil meets specs in the OM.

Beautiful truck! Nissan XOM sounds fine. If not, any of the majors in synthetic flavor will have something that works.

Any SP grade 0W20 Synthetic is going to be fine, don't overthink this stuff. Stick to the owners manual for change frequency while it is covered by warranty.

I am just a bit skeptical of resource-conserving oils in vehicles like this, especially if I plan to tow 6000 pounds on a hot Texas day. We all know that the OEMs play games with thinner oils to hit CAFE targets.

Just me and I tend to agree with you on that... But if you wanted to... Go with a 5w30. Either Nissan aka ExxonMobil full synthetic oil or say Mobil 1 EP 5w30.

DR's idea above of redline 0w20 is a very good one too in my opinion.

The Red Line Professional Series 0w20 could work. API SN+, ILSAC GF-5 and HTHSV of 2.7, but I'm skeptical it's going to be considerably different than the OEM stuff. It is more of a group 3/4 oil instead of the non-API version.

5w30 or 0w30 is worth considering yeah.

My wife had a Texas edition (nothing special)2012 Titan until her daughter tan it into a ditch and totaled it.
I ran whatever it said on the oil fill cap, was either 5 or 0W20, can’t remember. I had about 15 quarts of Texaco sae30 my dad had given me, I would substitute 1 quart each oil change

I must admit this is the first time I have noticed the Nissan 0w20 wasn't a part of their "Ester" oil. Personally I would run an SN rated 0w20 while in warranty. Then move to something heavier post warranty, especially since your in the hot south like I am. I know the VKs do well with 40 weights. Either way I am jealous of the new truck!

Based on the PQIA analysis, the Nissan-branded 0w20 appears to be a pretty stout formula made by ExxonMobil. API SN / ILSAC GF-5.
Genuine Nissan Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil API SN/ILSAC GF-5 (pqiadata.org)
That analysis was done almost three years ago, sodium is 440 PPM and it's SN. Sodium was eliminated from most oils that used it, like Valvoline, because it contributed to LSPI issues in DI engines and SN+ was introduced in 2018 for the same reason. Do you think the oil sold in the dealerships now is still SN or have they updated to SN+ or the newest SP?

I wonder what oil the Infinity of the era spec'd? That's what I would use.
The little brother version of that engine, one of the VQ35 variants, spec's API SM and 5W-30. Nothing special or out of the ordinary.

That analysis was done almost three years ago, sodium is 440 PPM and it's SN. Sodium was eliminated from most oils that used it, like Valvoline, because it contributed to LSPI issues in DI engines and SN+ was introduced in 2018 for the same reason. Do you think the oil sold in the dealerships now is still SN or have they updated to SN+ or the newest SP?

Good to know, I wasn't aware they had a new oil. Looks like I need to do some digging before my 1000 mile break-in change.

I’d suggest stopping by the dealership and asking to look at one and see what API rating it currently is. If it’s SN+ or SP I’d think any of the 0W-20 offerings at WM would be just as good or “better” than the OEM Nissan stuff unless you’re just dead set on using it. What does the owners manual recommend?

Nice truck by the way!

I use a 50/50% mix of RGT 0W-20 and 5W-30 in my 18 P4X. No issues; have only ~20.5K miles.

Decided to just go with Mobil 1 EP 0w20. Priced about the same as the Nissan stuff and probably a bit more robust. Thanks for all of the tips, folks. For those wondering, the manual is pretty vague and just says to use 0w20 SN.

My 500 mile break-in oil is en route to Blackstone as we speak.

I’d just run 0w20 if you’re not using it for much heavy duty work (towing etc) I’ve heard on the Nissan forums these engines being used with 5w30/5w40/10w30/10w40 sans issues. That VK56DE has been spec’d in other vehicles/markets for 5w30.

Last edited:
I bought my first-ever truck today, a 2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X. Fully loaded and at a great price with the end-of-year deals and haggling. It's got the trusty VK56VD in it and the manual calls for 0w20 every 5k. This motor was revised for 2017 where they made it direct injection and bumped the power up via premium fuel, but it is still a tried-and-true design from the early 2000s.

This truck will be my new daily driver (the Corvette will become a weekend/track car) so will see a mix of short trips and highway runs. I will be towing the Corvette periodically as well. I'm thinking I will just stick with the Nissan oil unless there's a compelling reason not to. Discuss. Also, gratuitous truck photos below!
when i bought my x5, i took a blackstone collection bottle to my dealer and collected 2oz of oil from their over head hoses and bought a quart at the parts counter and sent both to blackstone. both were the same, in this case. when pennz introduced 5w40 pennz syn i switched. very happy

Back