NEW! Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Shell means it this way with the marketing, but, when I see them come out with an oil like this, it is as if they are saying that their other synthetic pcmo oils, Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra, Quakerstate Ultimate Durability is designed for cars and SUVs and trucks that are used to haul people around and is not robust enough for hard working trucks that tow and haul heavy loads. Are their other oils not up to the task? Is Shell, in a roundabout way, admitting that they don't provide adequate protection when working trucks hard? If they do provide enough wear protection, then, this is fine marketing.

Another thing is, when trucks are worked hard, their engines generate more heat. Shell most likely boosted the amount of antioxidant to help keep the oil from oxidizing as quickly from the high heat.

That is what Mobil did with their 5W-30 Truck and SUV formula years ago. When asked what was different about it, Mobil said they had increased the amount of antioxidant, which helps when trucks and SUVs tow loads. I think I remember reading that on their website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by njohnson
I don't think Shell means it this way with the marketing, but, when I see them come out with an oil like this, it is as if they are saying that their other synthetic pcmo oils, Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra, Quakerstate Ultimate Durability is designed for cars and SUVs and trucks that are used to haul people around and is not robust enough for hard working trucks that tow and haul heavy loads. Are their other oils not up to the task? Is Shell, in a roundabout way, admitting that they don't provide adequate protection when working trucks hard? If they do provide enough wear protection, then, this is fine marketing.

Another thing is, when trucks are worked hard, their engines generate more heat. Shell most likely boosted the amount of antioxidant to help keep the oil from oxidizing as quickly from the high heat.

That is what Mobil did with their 5W-30 Truck and SUV formula years ago. When asked what was different about it, Mobil said they had increased the amount of antioxidant, which helps when trucks and SUVs tow loads. I think I remember reading that on their website.
The original M1 Truck & SUV 5W40 (CI-4+ & CI-4) was Delvac 1, for about half the price (at WM) as D1 was at the truck stops, used a fair amount in the older Cummins Ram. Unfortunately Mobil eventually watered it down somewhat & then made it TDT. This Shell offering has wait & see written all over it, when I see VOAs that showing it outperforming Magnatec 5W30 in demanding Ecoboost applications, then I'll believe it's for real.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
So, what sets this apart from every other d1G2 5W30 already on the market?

It says "truck" on it silly!
laugh.gif
Instantly manly!

Originally Posted by KCJeep

laugh.gif
Instantly manly!

Right. It is so obvious I missed it!!!

Originally Posted by KCJeep

laugh.gif
Instantly manly!

Right. It is so obvious I missed it!!!

19.gif
manly
lol.gif

Shell may be one of the most nonsensical oil companies when it comes to marketing. Their flagship oil(Pennzoil ultra)is a unicorn, so it gives it profits to mobil for their flagship oil. They introduce a well liked high zddp oil in qs defy, invest it's success in the like of such, then yank it from the customers at the height of its success. Now they "introduce" a rotella branded sn/dexos syn oil to compete with their own Pennzoil and qs syn sn/dexos oil. Are they just bored?

Originally Posted by Red91
Shell may be one of the most nonsensical oil companies when it comes to marketing. Their flagship oil(Pennzoil ultra)is a unicorn, so it gives it profits to mobil for their flagship oil. They introduce a well liked high zddp oil in qs defy, invest it's success in the like of such, then yank it from the customers at the height of its success. Now they "introduce" a rotella branded sn/dexos syn oil to compete with their own Pennzoil and qs syn sn/dexos oil. Are they just bored?

But........................ this is "Shell"..... not Pennzoil

In the eyes of the marketing department, the differences are H U G E

Silly me Linc, you're right. This is SHELL, and not only SHELL, but ROTELLA. It must be the ultimate API sn, d1g2 oil. ...„

Seriously, shell is more than capable of producing a top notch oil, but how many does one brand need? Then I remember that most people still don't realize that qs/Pennzoil merged in the nineties and moved to Houston, before being bought by shell. So to them, there's probably a huge difference between the brands. I guess that's what they're counting on anyway. I'll be passing it by myself.

Why is Pennzoil Ultra non existent? I haven't seen it on shelves literally in years. Do they just not want to sell it?

Red91 stated They introduce a well liked high zddp oil in qs defy, invest it's success in the like of such, then yank it from the customers at the height of its success. Like to comment on this. This is so correct IMO. Great oil when it was conventional. Eliminated 90% of startup piston slap in my 02 jeep. Then they made it synthetic blend that was no where as good.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Why is Pennzoil Ultra non existent? I haven't seen it on shelves literally in years. Do they just not want to sell it?

Very easy to get on Amazon or the Walmart site.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Now you see why Rotella 5W-40 dropped the SM/SN certification....

You see wrong then. The switch to a HDEO CK rating caused that. Not none of this gas engine Rotella marketing business.

If I'm not mistaken the defy was a syn blend, but how much of such I don't know. I really liked this stuff. The 5/20, 5/30, 10/30 all had 1000 ppm zinc and were not starburst oils, and were rated sl due to the zinc content. The 10/40 was sn rated, and was allowed such due to it being a 40 grade. It had 1200 ppm zinc. Truly the last old school high mileage oil before everyone went to a resource conserving formulation.

Guys Rotella IS Shells truck brand for oil. I'm kind of surprised no one has put two and two together. We all realize on a gas engine a premium oil for a truck is a premium oil for a car and vice versa (which is sort of the premise for so many car enthusiasts using Rotella at one point) but it makes sense if you have a huge (diesel) truck following those customers will gravitate toward a brand they already use for their gas trucks if available. This oil doesn't hit shelves until January. At least lets see what it cost and it's make up before doing so much complaining just because the truck brand has....well "truck" oil.

Originally Posted by stanlee
Guys Rotella IS Shells truck brand for oil. I'm kind of surprised no one has put two and two together. We all realize on a gas engine a premium oil for a truck is a premium oil for a car and vice versa (which is sort of the premise for so many car enthusiasts using Rotella at one point) but it makes sense if you have a huge (diesel) truck following those customers will gravitate toward a brand they already use for their gas trucks if available. This oil doesn't hit shelves until January. At least lets see what it cost and it's make up before doing so much complaining just because the truck brand has....well "truck" oil.

Yes! Spot on my friend!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by stanlee
We all realize on a gas engine a premium oil for a truck is a premium oil for a car and vice versa (which is sort of the premise for so many car enthusiasts using Rotella at one point) but it makes sense if you have a huge (diesel) truck following those customers will gravitate toward a brand they already use for their gas trucks if available.

I pointed that out in the other thread on the topic. To make matters worse, up here, not all Shell distributors are allowed to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products, so it makes sense to have a wide variety of gasoline engine oils (perhaps even beyond Formula Shell's offerings, which lack dexos1) available. In that same respect, I'd also suggest that Shell get a Rotella version of a dexos2/C3 oil coming down the pipe, with there being more diesel half tons calling for such a lube.

My dad had 3 shell stations back in the day. We sold Shell "Truck Guard" People DID ask for it. I ran it in everything i owned and my Dads Town Car lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back