NEW! Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by stanlee
We all realize on a gas engine a premium oil for a truck is a premium oil for a car and vice versa (which is sort of the premise for so many car enthusiasts using Rotella at one point) but it makes sense if you have a huge (diesel) truck following those customers will gravitate toward a brand they already use for their gas trucks if available.

I pointed that out in the other thread on the topic. To make matters worse, up here, not all Shell distributors are allowed to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products, so it makes sense to have a wide variety of gasoline engine oils (perhaps even beyond Formula Shell's offerings, which lack dexos1) available. In that same respect, I'd also suggest that Shell get a Rotella version of a dexos2/C3 oil coming down the pipe, with there being more diesel half tons calling for such a lube.

Here it's another issue. Not all Pennzoil distributors carry Quaker State and Shell motor oils and vice versa. Then again only a small fraction realize Pennzoil and Quaker State are under the Shell umbrella. Fewer are aware XOM and Shell are partner's when it comes to additives.

Interesting to know that there are hiccups down south, too, that way. Up here, it looks like the way the takeover went through helped decide which was which. Oddly enough, the full line Shell-Pennzoil-Quaker State distributor isn't even right in Regina, or Saskatoon, for that matter.

Originally Posted by stanlee
This oil doesn't hit shelves until January. At least lets see what it cost and it's make up before doing so much complaining just because the truck brand has....well "truck" oil.

This is a good point. However, even if it is high priced, the bottom line is that "you need Shell Rotella gas truck oil." It says so right here:

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...3818ac4243b7fcaad1/rotella-gas-truck.pdf

It's simply marketing. Maybe that's one way to get people who drive trucks to not be afraid of 0w-20.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BrianF
Marketing. I bet the price is a premium too.

But I bet the price is still less then Mobil 1, Pennzoil ect. We will see!
Though everyone would be just as good to use Super Tech Synthetic, but what fun is that?

Originally Posted by Garak
It's simply marketing. Maybe that's one way to get people who drive trucks to not be afraid of 0w-20.
wink.gif

This is an excellent point. Some truck guys may look at M1 AFE, for instance, and see "for most Honda and Toyota..." on the label and not associate this to work in their truck calling for the same spec. Whereas now there is a "specific" oil for them.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Perfect marketing geared towards owners of big trucks and their egos.

Exactly. I'm sure they have done marketing studies before doing this.

Waiting for Brawndo oil. Its got what trucks want! Its got moly!

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Though everyone would be just as good to use Super Tech Synthetic, but what fun is that?

I agree. Nobody is complaining about the price of Rotella T6. If this is priced similarly then it'll be an even better deal with the additional quart.

Btw... how many quarts do gas Ram 1500, Titans, Tundras take these days?

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by alarmguy

I agree. Nobody is complaining about the price of Rotella T6. If this is priced similarly then it'll be an even better deal with the additional quart.

Btw... how many quarts do gas Ram 1500, Titans, Tundras take these days?

6 to 8 quarts.

No doubt there is some marketing aspect to this, but Rotella is such a powerful label in the HDEO market, I don't see SOPUS risking that reputation by hanging the Rotella tag on a PCMO. It would be interesting to compare VOA's between Rotella Gas Truck and Pennzoil Platinum.

D1G2, SN+ SOPUS synthetic? If this is priced right, I might be interested in trying it out in the Stang after PP.

Or it could also be a relabeled QSUD.

Nobody is complaining about the price of Rotella T6.

Rotella T6 is Group III and Pennzoil Platinum is GTL; so, you get what you pay for. You could pay even more and get Mobil 1, which has some PAO in the blend, Extended Protection 0W-20 in particular being mostly PAO.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Nobody is complaining about the price of Rotella T6.

Rotella T6 is Group III and Pennzoil Platinum is GTL; so, you get what you pay for. You could pay even more and get Mobil 1, which has some PAO in the blend, Extended Protection 0W-20 in particular being mostly PAO.

Yet PP and M-1 meet nearly identical specs and any of the mentioned above products will help a engine last the same amount of usage given the same maintenance with Rotella possibly providing superior protection as the engine ages due to it being a thicker viscosity.

Your point is? Please provide real world usage not your laboratory.

And I'm not really clear what the comparison between Pennzoil Platinum and Rotella T6 means, both are hydrocracked Group III base stock.

Wonder what the NOACK is … T6 has never been spectacular in that regard …

Originally Posted by kschachn
And I'm not really clear what the comparison between Pennzoil Platinum and Rotella T6 means, both are hydrocracked Group III base stock.

GTL isn't a hydrocracking process. Is PP not GTL-based anymore?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrandonT
GTL isn't a hydrocracking process. Is PP not GTL-based anymore?

Correct, the gas-to-liquid process isn't hydrocracking, that's not what I meant. But the GTL intermediate is hydrocracked to produce the end product.

And as far as I know PP is still a GTL product.

GTL is superior to non-GTL Group III -- lower NOACK, lower CCS, higher viscosity index (VI), and higher oxidation resistance among other things. GTL stands in between non-GTL Group III and PAO in terms of several desired base-oil properties.

GTL has also been claimed to reduce wear in some Chevron patent because of the smaller variation of its pressure - viscosity coefficient (PVC, related to oil-film strength) with the temperature (probably related to its high viscosity index).

I e-mailed Shell and inquired about purchasing aforementioned motor oil. CS advised that it's only available through special order, via NAPA or O'Reilly's. Not many people will know about this (average person, not us OCD folks). Furthermore; most will not go to NAPA order oil then return and pick it up another day. However; most of us have our stash of oil. Lol!

Maybe they are testing the market? IDK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back