Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 1949 miles on oil,, Redline 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my camshafts to performance ones, than ran about 600 miles before changing my oil. I changed so soon as the new camshafts probably caused greater engine wear while they were breakign in. Also just in case any dirt got into the head while doing the install.

As you can see aluminum count was up, I am usually around 2-3 PPM
Iron is also up, I am usually around 8 PPM
Silicon is up as I suspect dirt came into my head, I am usually around 12-13 PPM

I don't know what values are actually dangerous though, is that much silicon harmful?

Mi/Hr on Oil 1949
Mi/Hr on Unit 42749
Sample Date 2/23/2004

Aluminum 6
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 3
Lead 2
Tin 1
Molybdenum 588
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 5
Boron 14
Silicon 21
Sodium 25
Calcium 3045
Magnesium 6
Phophorus 1197
Zine 1312
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 66.3
Flashpoint in F 460
Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0
Insolubules % 0.3

TBN 6.3

DAVID: This type oil (Red Line) usually has some potassium and sodium in it, so we doubt these
elements are from anti-freeze in the oil. Wear was right on average for this type engine given the
shorter oil use interval. Our average oil sample for this type is 5,130 miles, so you should be able to
go to that mileage for you next sample since no problems were uncovered. Your camshaft change
looks to be successful and we expect the aluminum and iron level to drop on the next sample. The
TBN was 6.3 due to the lower usage, indicating plenty of oil life.

Looks good to me! Probably minor break-in wear, in addition to getting a little dirt in there. Or, did you change any gaskets made w/silcone or use any RTV? No biggie, looks good!

[ March 03, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

I agree with Jason. Looks very good. I'd expect more break-in wear with new camshafts.

Do you post on Nissanforums.com??

My lab results (same engine, similar oil but colder weather) will be posted by the end of April.

--- Bror Jace

I'd be happy with this report. Naturally keep your eye on the potassium and sodium. Yea the silicon is high-but what do you expect.
grin.gif

Thanks guys. I have all my historical data, it's all in the forum..next oil change I'll include all of it.

I have Blackstone analyze it. Yes I had to use RTV or sillcone gasket sealant around the corners of the valve cover as well as the timing chain cover.

I'm glad you guys think it's OK I was afraid I might have messed up my engine as I've never dont anything more than bolt on modifications (altho camshafts are certainly "bolton" they go into the engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back