Niece wants to teach English overseas, employment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece is graduating college this December and wants to teach English overseas.

Any idea how she can look and apply for these types of jobs ?

Look for jobs on US military bases. I have a cousin that taught overseas on US military bases, primarily in Japan. She made very good money.

My friend taught in china for 3 years and loved it. He was also thinking about teaching in korea. Like any job there are interviews on skype and you need to apply and have all of the documentation to be able to travel to that country (visa, passport ect.) They took care of him once he arrived and he really enjoyed it, it does help to know a little of the language. If it is non asian countries then they are harder to find.

Private schools are more conversational than literary/grammar oriented, so not being an expert in the language isn't a major hurdle.

Having taught in Asia for 3+ years, I'd advise your niece to study different countries and their culture before making a decision. Read some the country's magazines and on-line websites as well as novels...and watch some movies...sometimes fiction is truer than fact.

Countries on any one continent are not all the same. It takes a good 6 months to get used to living with a different set of rules and social expectations (not to mention a different language), so I'd recommend a stay of at least 2 years. She should also take side trips to neighboring countries and see how different they are.

Last edited:
My wife's cousin is teaching in Dubai. It is my understanding that it is for Americans there on work/military assignments and teaching their children.

first queation is did your niece actually study any teaching or development courses or lean to be an educator? or are her only credentials related to education is that she is a native speaker (how is her grammar and formal English anyway).

this question gets to the root of her motivation of if this is just she can have a semester abroad or if she has invested anything of her own effort into this plan to make it happen.
or is the expectation that uncle Nice is going to arrange everything for her and this is a spur of moment idea that she is just throwing out there

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My niece is graduating college this December and wants to teach English overseas.

Any idea how she can look and apply for these types of jobs ?

My daughter is doing this in South Korea right now (on Jeju Island). They REALLY treat the internationals very well. My daughter is married (to a S.Korean national, whom she met here in the states at college), has a child now and lives on campus (mostly everything, including food is free) and has a nice apartment. She has her MS in English with an ESL specialty. Been there two years now. Google for well respected international schools would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Tons of jobs teaching English in Asia. Not particularly high paid, but once you settle in and can speak some of the native language, you can set up private tutoring and make good coin. There is high demand. I know at least a half dozen people who have taught in Japan and South Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back