TEFL certification - teaching English in Japan

For the past 1 year I have been thinking about moving to East Asia permanently. I've done a lot of research on Japan and it has a great deal of appeal to me. Looks like the least stressful way would be to teach English. I have taught in the past but it has been IT courses or corporate training so it's not an unfamiliar occupation.

Do we have any BITOGers who are TEFL certified, and/or have taught in Japan?

Any advice?

Seems like a lot of people do this. So good and bad.

Are you independently wealthy?
Do you mind racists and racist treatment? Because Japan is one of the few countries left that tolerates racism. Not as much as years past but still there. It's a lot more subtle than people think, and like some things, not always wrong.
You will never be a first class citizen.

Half my family is Japanese.

I just returned from Japan and I do not agree with Pablo. I was in Tokyo and was treated well, and with respect. Food was great and priced very reasonably. My son attended university there and had a great time as well.

I think it's all in where you go and what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you just "thinking about it", or are you beginning to investigate so you can go and do it?

I knew someone who did English teaching in Japan for one year. It was in Nara Prefecture. She enjoyed it but the living style was an adventure. Her apartment had no central heating so a kerosene heater was purchased. It was a small place. 2DK.

I think your experience will depend on where you plan to stay.

Back