Newer vehicle headlights- plastic.

totally normal; you'll find the same issue across the board with all manufacturers

also, if a car is kept outside most of its lifetime, headlights will be hazing even sooner; here, garage certainly helps by reducing the hazing

btw, '16-'17 Accord headlights are covered by 10y warranty because Honda admits that LED striplight inside the headlights had its manufacturing issue, you may wanna look into that too
No LEDs on this model- high beams are run at low wattage. I have long switched to HID low beams, I don't think the damage is related the cloudiness is starting from the top of the lenses and if the HID is doing the leanses in- I'll live with it, the trade off is acceptable.

If it was a 2000 Honda, the plastic lights would look like the day they were fitted. A 2015 Honda, they will be cloudy and have no pattern on a beam tester. Yes, plastic headlamps have been around a long time, but the plastic has changed.
You're not wrong. The "Guide" headlights on my cheapo 95 Saturn stayed clear. And they had a great pattern both low and high with separate halogen bulbs.

Will rattlecan clear suffice- plasticote?
Needs to have some kind of UV blocker to have a chance at all.

U-pol clear spray paint from amazon is the best I’ve used. The buffing and polishing as described earlier, then a solid cleaning, then 2 coats. It lays down differently that rust oleum or krylon, so practicing first on something else is highly recommended. It lasts years and will barely yellow, until the plastic beneath it simply comes apart. I’ve done this to many, many, vehicles - my own, and probably well over a dozen for folks who need help whom we look after at my church.

it was a bitoger 10+ years ago who recommended the product and method to me!

Needs to have some kind of UV blocker to have a chance at all.

U-pol clear spray paint from amazon is the best I’ve used. The buffing and polishing as described earlier, then a solid cleaning, then 2 coats. It lays down differently that rust oleum or krylon, so practicing first on something else is highly recommended. It lasts years and will barely yellow, until the plastic beneath it simply comes apart. I’ve done this to many, many, vehicles - my own, and probably well over a dozen for folks who need help whom we look after at my church.

it was a bitoger 10+ years ago who recommended the product and method to me!
The high gloss stuff?

Do you use the adhesion promotor or any of their other stuff first - or just sand/ polish / spray?

The high gloss stuff?

Do you use the adhesion promotor or any of their other stuff first - or just sand/ polish / spray?
High gloss, yes! Don’t want a cloudy, satin finish.

haven’t used any promoter. Sand, polish, spray.

XXXfine steel wool has a place somewhere in this process for me usually, too.

Headlights.jpg

Back