Newer vehicle headlights- plastic.

2015 Accord headlights, parked outside but with little mileage, haze developing on lens. This normal? Past experience is with glass which is problem free of course- I have purchased a polishing kit which brings them back for a few months. I replacing the headlight assembly part of normal maintenance now?

Normal. But on the next lights use some Aerospace 303 after each time you wash it. Might keep them from yellowing so fast.

89ECED5F-2009-4E37-89C3-B07252163F74.jpeg

It's pretty normal. The best thing you can do for old faded headlights is to clear coat them after you polish them up.

You might be able to drop them off at a local body shop to have them work your headlights in to their schedule.

Plastic headlights have been around for a long time.

About the time that the law was changed to allow composite headlights instead of sealed beam headlights.

Though I did see a plastic sealed beam headlight a while ago in a collection of misc car parts.

totally normal; you'll find the same issue across the board with all manufacturers

also, if a car is kept outside most of its lifetime, headlights will be hazing even sooner; here, garage certainly helps by reducing the hazing

btw, '16-'17 Accord headlights are covered by 10y warranty because Honda admits that LED striplight inside the headlights had its manufacturing issue, you may wanna look into that too

I used to put 3M Xpel covers over mine—does anyone still do that? I think it made a difference, athough in my case I think it a large part was protection against sand damage.

it's on the early side for a 2015 car, but eventually they will all do it. Mine staayed perfect for 8 years, then the tops started yellowing. It didn't affect the vertical parts yet, so beam pattern was still. Not garaged for a single day in it's life or teated with anything but wather and regular car wash soap.

I installed brand new ones on my Honda Civic a couple of years ago. I would polish them and 3 months later they would haze over again. Best $250 I ever spent and the new ones are much brighter too. I did have to remove the bumper cover for the installation and it took about an hour and a half.

Attachments

• C1XCxb3OSi+379jNFmeQpg.jpg
    C1XCxb3OSi+379jNFmeQpg.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 22
Big difference in quality between manufacturers and indovidual components.

My Touareg has been outside almost 11 years and covered 140k miles and the headlights are crystal clear.

That said, PPF on the headlight when new is the best thing you can do. Inexpensive too.

It's normal. When it occurs depends on the price point for part. Plastics which exhibit greater UV resistance cost more. It can be mitigated somewhat with aftermarket products.

Once you polish them you have to seal them or they won't last due to UV. The reason they yellow is the OEM UV seal wears off from bugs/ grit/ whatever over the years. If you polish and then seal with something like Meguires headlight sealant (which I am pretty sure is just clear laquer) you will get closer to a year.

I don't bother with a kit. I use 1000, then 2000, then 3500 grit sandpaper wet, then a meguires liquid polish, wash them off then clear them with meguires sealer - you get about a year. I should just buy new ones but in the south they only last 5 or 6 years anyway so?

I have been using 303 on our new car - will see if it helps.

If it was a 2000 Honda, the plastic lights would look like the day they were fitted. A 2015 Honda, they will be cloudy and have no pattern on a beam tester. Yes, plastic headlamps have been around a long time, but the plastic has changed.

It all depends. I’ve seen a lot of older Ford’s that had very yellow headlight covers.

If you are in a dusty area that will exacerbate the problem. Obviously higher temperatures will too.

For years I have applied protection to headlights and they remain clear for many years. So many of the vehicles I see with yellow headlights look like they have never been washed. That is telling.

Back