Newbie here and GM AFM lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!...first post on here. I've learned a lot here prior to becoming a new member and thank all of you for that. I'm 47 years old and have built/re-built probably 50 engines in my life - half street, half marine. Some hi-perf, some stock. (Just some background, not a pro NASCAR builder by any means
wink.gif

I currently have a 2011 Silverado C/C 4x4 with the LC9 5.3L aluminum engine that I bought in May with literally 43 miles on it after I put 40 on it test driving. Previously I had a new 2007 Tahoe (115 miles off lot) with the iron block 5.3 engine. I can honestly say I was terribly disappointed how both of these engines sounded after only 500 hundred miles on the engines on factory-fill oil and easy/moderate driving after the oil was warm, and varying rpms during break-in. TICK, TICK, TICK, so loud I could hear the lifters from 25 feet away while idling and hot. Like the old mechanical cams. Both were dead quiet when cold.

I don't want to be overbearing and wear out any welcome or cause problems. Is anyone interested how I got my hot-ticking to go away? This following vid is not my truck but sounds exactly like my new 2011 did. This 2011 Z71 truck has a little over 1k miles on it (catch his dash reading in the vid )and he's obviously not very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IvqkNnjS2c&feature=related

I also have no affiliation with any oil companies...just seat of the pants....and ears. I hate noisy engines. The point of this post is how to help you guys with the same situation I had.

Great site Bob oil guy! And again thanks to you all!

Jim

I think that is good old GM piston slap but i thought it was when cold. I am getting kinda dissapointed in GM products lately. I really think ford has stepped it up a bunch in the past couple years. You dont hear a ecoboost or a coyote making that noise. Go back to the dealer and show them and ask them what they will do about it. Be polite and not loud and they will do one of two things, nothing or something. I saw a guy driving a big red brand new dodge diesel with a huge yellow sign on the back that said dodge doesnt honor warranty.

Last edited:
It appears to be the piston slap GM has refused to fix as they claim it doesn't affect engine life. Gm engines do run well and live long happy lives but it's WAY past time for GM to get with the times on engine design.

This is exactly 1 reason there are no GM products in out stable. You can slap LS,LL,LC ect on whatever you want but it's all the same garbage as it was in 1952. Actually 1952 was better built

lets start a revolution....NO MORE PUSH RODS

Last edited:
Right now the only thing GM is doing right is the Cruze.

I am not too impressed with GM's 5.3 Silverado... One of my better friends has a 2007.5 Silverado with the 5.3 with 70,000 miles and it already burns a quart every 2k which is alarming since he doesn't tow anything and has owned it since 20k, and yes all of the maintenance is up to date, pcv valve, filters, plugs and wires, none of which changed the consumption one bit, I even tried an Amsoil engine flush.

I wish you the best of luck with trying to solve the issue, keep us posted on what the dealer says.

Last edited by a moderator:
chubbs1...thanks for the warm welcome. It's no secret or snake oil. Just what I've learned on this site and previous experience.

abycat...thanks for the info, but it's not my truck in my original post. It's a random youtube vid of some guy not happy at 1,061 miles on a brand new truck posting it. Mine started out like that and got progressively worse. That sound is definitely lifters. Piston slap is a whole different sound. (not to sound mean)

Since this is an oil forum...I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on what I did just yet. I'd like to see if anyone that has a GMT900 series with AFM lifters in a 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2L with serious valve tick and if it's bad, not bad, or if they found a way to make it go away. I'm pretty sure the 4.8L's don't have these lifters.

My buddy bought a brand new Cadillac Escalade last year...6.2L. 13k miles and it sounds like sh*t when hot. Mobil 1 on the factory oil fill cap. And that's what's in it.

Absolutely NO PROBLEMS with "pushrods" in my former ZO6
or present ZR1. And the engine in the ZR1 wil go toe to toe
with anything out there. Some folks make it quite apparent
they KNOW NOT OF WHAT THEY SPEAK !

Originally Posted By: jimbo64
chubbs1...thanks for the warm welcome. It's no secret or snake oil. Just what I've learned on this site and previous experience.

abycat...thanks for the info, but it's not my truck in my original post. It's a random youtube vid of some guy not happy at 1,061 miles on a brand new truck posting it. Mine started out like that and got progressively worse. That sound is definitely lifters. Piston slap is a whole different sound. (not to sound mean)

Since this is an oil forum...I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on what I did just yet. I'd like to see if anyone that has a GMT900 series with AFM lifters in a 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2L with serious valve tick and if it's bad, not bad, or if they found a way to make it go away. I'm pretty sure the 4.8L's don't have these lifters.

My buddy bought a brand new Cadillac Escalade last year...6.2L. 13k miles and it sounds like sh*t when hot. Mobil 1 on the factory oil fill cap. And that's what's in it.

Don't be bashful..lol Did you have to go thicker? Was it even an oil related fix? Kreen
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
It appears to be the piston slap GM has refused to fix as they claim it doesn't affect engine life. Gm engines do run well and live long happy lives but it's WAY past time for GM to get with the times on engine design.

This is exactly 1 reason there are no GM products in out stable. You can slap LS,LL,LC ect on whatever you want but it's all the same garbage as it was in 1952. Actually 1952 was better built

lets start a revolution....NO MORE PUSH RODS

Not gonna be piston slap. O/P said the engine was plenty quiet when cold - just the opposite of piston slap...

Also, I'm curious as to how you think that a 1952 Chevy engine is better built than one of toady's engines? I am by no means brand loyal, especially after their actions in the last few years, but looking past gasket failures of certain models, today's engines are longer lived, make more power and get bet fuel economy than most anything that predates them..

CMMeadAM...I hear you..I have no problems whatsoever with pushrods. No doubt either of your Vette's would run strong. I'd love to have either.

The_Eric...thanks for understanding my original post...I'm a newbie and don't want to start trouble. I will later explain my valvetrain issue and what made it go away. This only applies to GM "ticky" engines. Not knock, not slap, not pecking or tapping.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Absolutely NO PROBLEMS with "pushrods" in my former ZO6
or present ZR1. And the engine in the ZR1 wil go toe to toe
with anything out there. Some folks make it quite apparent
they KNOW NOT OF WHAT THEY SPEAK !

Agreed!!! take either my LT1 or my LS6 these were the fastest cars in their day-and will still surprise many---especially the 4cyl turbo types....

That is exactly why there are no FORDS in my garage

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Right now the only thing GM is doing right is the Cruze.

I am not too impressed with GM's 5.3 Silverado... One of my better friends has a 2007.5 Silverado with the 5.3 with 70,000 miles and it already burns a quart every 2k which is alarming since he doesn't tow anything and has owned it since 20k, and yes all of the maintenance is up to date, pcv valve, filters, plugs and wires, none of which changed the consumption one bit, I even tried an Amsoil engine flush.

I wish you the best of luck with trying to solve the issue, keep us posted on what the dealer says.

Aluminum block engines have a fix for excessive oil consumption. Do a google search for bulletin 10-06-01-008. A 2007 with 70,000 miles should still be covered under the 5/100,000 powertrain warranty, so it'll likely be a free fix too.

My 07 5.3 w/ 60k ticks when cold, and started doing it hot, too. I would appreciate ANY info. I like my truck, but if its doomed I'd like to trade in. My buddy had lifter tick until @ 118k a lifter grenaded and took out the motor.

I had a 2007 NBS Silverado(GMT900) 1500 5.3L w/ AFM. No abnormal engines noise at all and no oil consumption at all over 5K OCI's. Engine was decent IMO. Smooth and quiet at all times.

OP - why the need for a big mystery? Just post what you did. No need of games and drama. Welcome to the site btw.

Last edited:
we own at least one of every engine in that family!

05 Silverado 5.3, one of the quietest motors you've NEVER heard. Only 80k miles, which for us is like new.

06 Savana 3500 6.0, over 400k miles and starts up like a new car. This one does have piston slap, but most would never notice it. No oil usage and no smoke either!

We also have a 4.8 and it is a great little motor. There are more like my 09 Dmax, but those are excellent examples.

The bad mouthers who are misinformed will learn one day about "internet inflammation", where a problem is grown to outrageous proportions by amplifying it from forum to forum. You don't hear from the gazillions of GM owners who love their trucks.

BTW, the piston slap issue hasn't been seen around here since 05 on pickups and around 06 on vans! Fancy coated pistons killed it dead.

My 08 Silverado 5.3 has the tick after it gets warm.Tell me how to get rid of it,it drives me crazy.
Thanks

I had a 2006 Silverado w/5.3 that I bought new an while I only put 13k on it before I traded the engine never used a drop and was very quiet.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

OP - why the need for a big mystery? Just post what you did. No need of games and drama. Welcome to the site btw.

I smell a hoax, scam, or advertisement coming....

That's a slight lifter tick. Its quite minor I'd just ignore it.

Try a couple different types of 5w30, maybe one brand will quite it down. GM motors can have noisy valve trains sometimes, doesn't harm anything.

It might possible go away as the motor breaks in, put 10k or 20k miles on it and report back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back