Newbie here and GM AFM lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

OP - why the need for a big mystery? Just post what you did. No need of games and drama. Welcome to the site btw.

I smell a hoax, scam, or advertisement coming....

Sorry guys - just wanted to see if you had the same noise as me and the guy who posted on youtube and if you found a way to make it stop. No scam. Plus it got late and I didn't want to type the following...too long.

Here's what happened with mine. Like I said, bought it new, no noise when cold at all. After being driven to heat it up, it sounded like a tick machine. Probably 7 or 8 of them going at it. Terrible next to a wall at a drive thru. I didn't beat on the truck, but didn't "granny" it either. It got worse. Then I started driving it pretty hard at 3k miles. I began to notice that if I floored it thru at least 3 gears and came back down to idle, it was quiet. For a day at best. Suspecting lifter bleed down, I changed the oil to 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum like so many of you like. Finally, it had shut up, but only lasted 2 or 3 days. (I'm sure it's a great oil, but my AFM lifters don't like it)

Now I'm furious...new engines don't sound this bad. I thought fine, I'll rev the p*ss out of it. I put the shifter in "M" and floored it and hit the rev limiter at 6k rpms and would shift up and hit rev limiter in that gear, etc. Daggonit, it was quiet again, but short lived. Then on a trip to Pittsburg from Ohio on Sept.18, I noticed at a rest area it's doing it again. I tried an experiment - ran it in "M" 5th gear for the rest of the trip. AFM stays in V8 mode this way, plus the revs are ~500 greater than 6th gear. Pull in hotel. Quiet again. [censored]? Drive home in 6th, pull in driveway, sounds terrible. Mad, I stomp the pedal in Park and hold at 4 grand where the computer holds it for about 30 seconds, let off, it's quiet again. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Checked oil, had not used any, but was pretty darn dark for only 2.5k miles on oil with a new engine containing no sludge.

So...I decide to change the oil again, this time to Valvoline 5w-30 SynPower. Engine was hot and still ticked a bit, but was better. I took it down the road and romped on it hard for about 10 miles. Came home and couldn't believe my ears...dead silence. I mean a silence that's unbelievable. All I hear is the alternator. That was a week ago and about 500 miles. I haven't stomped it since and it's still dead quiet. I saved my Pennzoil - it's going to Blackstone. So is this Valvoline in 3-4k.

Sorry if I sounded like I wanted drama or to sound like I know it all...I don't. I would still like to know if others with GM AFM has a HOT ticking issue. Not cold, those are the earlier design (Eaton I believe) lifters. Mine are Delphi I believe. Again, sorry...and for the long post. Only way to make clear my story.
Jim

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That's a slight lifter tick. Its quite minor I'd just ignore it.

Try a couple different types of 5w30, maybe one brand will quite it down. GM motors can have noisy valve trains sometimes, doesn't harm anything.

It might possible go away as the motor breaks in, put 10k or 20k miles on it and report back.

I know they can be noisy...but mine was worse than the one in that vid, and so is my buddys' Escalade and GMC Denali. I'll admit I'm anal, but you don't pay $40-60k to hear that cr*p and explain to a Ford guy that that's "normal". This is unacceptable in this day and age. Not venting at you, at GM.

Well what did the dealer say?

I don't fool with dealers unless its an upholstery issue, etc. I've never had a catastrophic engine or tranny failure. I don't waste my time with them when I know from too many posts everywhere on the internet this noise is considered normal. Maybe it is "normal" to them. I find it UNACCEPTABLE in this day and age with computers, CNC, ETC.

I won't even go into what the "dealer" did to my new '97 Chevy Venture (they said lifters but was piston slap - I told them..wouldn't listen) and '00 Ford Lightning (intercooler recall) both bought new. Unless it blows up...I'm done with them. I don't need careless warranty work done on new vehicles. IMHO, it comes back worse than when you took it in. Hence, my origial post...

Last edited:
Well it has a warranty, if you are not happy with a dealer you used in the past go to another one. If their is a problem (TSB??) maybe they will replace the faulty lifter.

I don't understand what you are complaining about, you purchased a new truck with what sounds like a minor engine problem. GM makes thousands of these motors a year so its not to surprising a couple sneak through. Yet you don't want to do anything about it?

The other option is to purchase a FSM and tear into it yourself which I don't know why you would since its under warranty; or ignore it.

Complaining certainly won't stop it from ticking.

Just for grins you could try swapping out the oil filter I have seen Ford's do this, but that's a shot in the dark. Still for $10 what the heck.

Well it has a warranty, if you are not happy with a dealer you used in the past go to another one. If their is a problem (TSB??) maybe they will replace the faulty lifter.

I don't understand what you are complaining about, you purchased a new truck with what sounds like a minor engine problem. GM makes thousands of these motors a year so its not to surprising a couple sneak through. Yet you don't want to do anything about it?

The other option is to purchase a FSM and tear into it yourself which I don't know why you would since its under warranty; or ignore it.

Complaining certainly won't stop it from ticking.

Just for grins you could try swapping out the oil filter I have seen Ford's do this, but that's a shot in the dark. Still for $10 what the heck.

It's doing great...fixed...I'm not trying to be mean toward you...did you read above my hugely long post?? It's fixed. I debated with myself long and hard about even starting this post, and now, sorry I did...just for this reason and others, like those above that "smell" something. Whatever. People don't read the entire post.

After my long experience with building engines, I have an educated guess as to why the Valvoline is working better for my particular engine. Also, in my particular experience, I've had 3 "dealers" (Cadillac, Ford, Chevy) do more damage to my cars than what it was brought in for under warranty. Like my new '93 Regal taken in for a simple headlamp change due to moisture. Got the car back with a torn leather steering wheel and knocked 1" out of alighnment. Yeah, it got fixed, but only after a lot of b*tching. I don't have time for incompetence.

Originally Posted By: jimbo64
Also, in my particular experience, I've had 3 "dealers" (Cadillac, Ford, Chevy) do more damage to my cars than what it was brought in for under warranty.

Hmmmm. 3 dealers? Wow. What a coincidence. Or was it? From the feel I get, from your posts on here, it's possible your attitude has a lot to do with it. I know a few people in the service industry, and if some clown comes in, and whining like a little girl, they would not get very good service. They do this for a reason. It's so you don't come back. But, maybe not. Just a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I just skimmed it your post. So its a bleeding down lifter, as I expected.

If it were my truck instead of thrashing it like a $500 beater I would have just had the dealer change the offensive lifter. But whatever works for you. I guess some people are uncomfortable getting warranty work performed on their vehicle.

Last edited:
Jimbo64, first of all Thank You for sharing your experience. To the folks saying take it to the dealer, you have never dealt with a GM warranty issue. To them everything is normal. They know you're screwed because few people have the time to look for a better dealer. There are good ones out there, maybe one day I'll find one.

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
Originally Posted By: jimbo64
Also, in my particular experience, I've had 3 "dealers" (Cadillac, Ford, Chevy) do more damage to my cars than what it was brought in for under warranty.

Hmmmm. 3 dealers? Wow. What a coincidence. Or was it? From the feel I get, from your posts on here, it's possible your attitude has a lot to do with it. I know a few people in the service industry, and if some clown comes in, b*tching and whining like a little girl, they would not get very good service. They do this for a reason. It's so you don't come back. But, maybe not. Just a possibility.

Bambooo, I make it a point to NEVER start out with an attitude with them - I know where that'll get me. The Cadillac dealer is out of business due to some things they did. My former neighbor was a mechanic there. He asked them to work on my car. They said no. He later told me my Regal was used as a parts runner the 2 days they had it to perform a headlamp swap. They told me they didn't cut the steering wheel or knock the toe-in out an 1". That's when I blew a gasket. I never had words with the other dealers...I just went home and fixed their mistakes like tranny lines not being clipped back into place, fan shrouds not engaged in their supporting slots, air tube not put back on throttle body and dangling, etc. Sorry if I came off as a hothead..My Steelers were getting beat at the time I posted above you. No excuse though...sorry for venting.

Last edited:
No I just skimmed it your post. So its a bleeding down lifter, as I expected.

If it were my truck instead of thrashing it like a $500 beater I would have just had the dealer change the offensive lifter. But whatever works for you. I guess some people are uncomfortable getting warranty work performed on their vehicle.

hattaresguy, I thought about that until I found out the cylinder heads have to be removed to access the lifters unlike the old small blocks. Waaay to risky since it runs, and that's if GM would approve in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
To the folks saying take it to the dealer, you have never dealt with a GM warranty issue.

WRONG! Have dealt with GM on warranty and they are no worse than anyone else. I had some minor stuff on my 2 Silverado's and my Sister had her entire engine replaced in her Impala and no hassle whatsoever.

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell you bro. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra with the iron block 5.3 in it. I bought this truck used last February with 42000 miles on it. This is one of the quietest engines I have ever had, hot and cold. The troublesome 2006 F 150 that I unloaded was a noisy engine.I personaly think the GM trucks are superior to Ford trucks, I used to be a Ford guy.

Originally Posted By: SigShooter
Don't know what to tell you bro. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra with the iron block 5.3 in it. I bought this truck used last February with 42000 miles on it. This is one of the quietest engines I have ever had, hot and cold. The troublesome 2006 F 150 that I unloaded was a noisy engine.I personaly think the GM trucks are superior to Ford trucks, I used to be a Ford guy.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Same here, I want to be a Ford guy I like their trucks but lately their motors have sucked.

Guys with GM trucks just don't seem to have the problems Ford does.

Although I guess that could change if Ford gets their act together and GM screws up.

Last edited:

Interesting...The '07 Tahoe I bought new with AFM lifters had the LMG iron block like you have. It was quiet cold, but gradually ticked as it warmed up, but not as bad as my current truck did. I ran 5w30 Castrol Syntec in the Tahoe after 3k factory oil break-in until I traded it at 25k. My current LC9 aluminum block is still doing good on Valvoline Synpower since I changed from Pennzoil Platinum. Thanks for that info. What oil are you running?

BTW, my new 2000 Ford Lightning developed piston slap at 5k that only Havoline synthetic 5w30 would cure at that time. (Was running Motorcraft dino) Amazing how different oils work better in different apps, and that engine came from the factory with coated pistons. Miss that truck...13.52 @ 102 on a 90* day with only a cold air kit.

Last edited:
Im using Quaker State dino with an AC Delco filter.By the way I believe you have to run a Dexos approved motor oil in your 2011. I know Quaker State Synthetic is on the list and possibly Pennzoil synthetic, I don't believe any Valvoline oil meets the Dexos criteria.

I don't believe any Valvoline oil meets the Dexos criteria.

Actually, according to their web page, it does:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/synpower/full-synthetic-motor-oil/5

Also, and according to this, it's not a requirement for warranty:
http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp

Based on what I read in this thread, I went and bought 5w30 SynPower, and a new Delco PF-48, and about to brave the rain here in a bit and go change the oil to see what happen, and I'll report back my findings. My truck is a 2010 w/ 20K miles on it, and I have the ticking. I've also been in personal communications (E-mail) with the author of the YouTube link that is posted at the beginning of this thread.

If this Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and Delco PF-48 thing does the trick, it will be nothing short of monumental, because as it stands, there is no known cure for the "hot tick" as seen in the gm-trucks.com forum. Wish me luck...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we own at least one of every engine in that family!

05 Silverado 5.3, one of the quietest motors you've NEVER heard. Only 80k miles, which for us is like new.

06 Savana 3500 6.0, over 400k miles and starts up like a new car. This one does have piston slap, but most would never notice it. No oil usage and no smoke either!

We also have a 4.8 and it is a great little motor. There are more like my 09 Dmax, but those are excellent examples.

The bad mouthers who are misinformed will learn one day about "internet inflammation", where a problem is grown to outrageous proportions by amplifying it from forum to forum. You don't hear from the gazillions of GM owners who love their trucks.

BTW, the piston slap issue hasn't been seen around here since 05 on pickups and around 06 on vans! Fancy coated pistons killed it dead.

Ummm, AFM started with the 2007 model year and has been a problem ever since. The noisy lifters, failed lifters, and high oil consumption have also been problematic on the AFM engines - more so with a lot of free way driving because it goes into V4 mode during cruise. GM has issued TSB's on the problem as well as making internal changes to the engine to cope with the high oil consumption. They have even told the customer that an oil consumption rate of one quart every 1000 miles is OK. Why even change oil at that point?

Instead of bashing someone with a problem, maybe you should be more "informed"

Actually, my 2010 Silverado 5.3L w/ 20K miles hasn't used a drop of oil, ever.

Off to lay on a cold, wet, dark, rainy driveway to change the oil and try this Valvoline 5w30 SynPower + PF-48 thing to see if it affects the hot tick. Wish me luck, - film at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back