New wax in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading all the hype about the new mequires next generation nxt wax. I am a die hard zaino user. I recently bought my daughter a 98 ford gt convertible. I could not resist the urge to use her car as a guinea pig. I bought some at auto advance and put 2 coats on her laser red paint. This stuff gives a deep wet gloss shine just like zaino. It is a polymer just like zaino. I can not attest to how it will hold up, the zaino holds up very well, but it does shine just as well as zaino.
smile.gif

You put it on very thin just like zaino. I believe this is a copy of zaino. I will put another couple coats on after the rain stops in a couple of days. It is a third of the cost of the whole zaino process and they even have a quick detail spray just like zaino.

NXT is a good sealant but it is not Zaino. Initial results I have seen on other message boards indicxate it may not last as long as Zaino. Also, NXT does contain a small amount of cleaner so it will not layer like Zaino. Don't get me wrong, it is good stuff but we need to see more results.

quote:

Originally posted by 2001ssde:
they even have a quick detail spray just like zaino.

i couldnt find a NXT detail spray..i saw a spray wax but not a detail spray.. saw the spray wax, polish and protectant. Where can i get the detail spray?

There is no NXT "detail spray". They have a NXT "booster wax" works very well and quick good to give you that fresh wet look.

I have NXT and I am really happy with it I had one coat on about two months and it was still there beading and sheeting water off, it was not as smooth as when first applied but it seemed to be working.

I wanted to give some #9 a try so I just re-waxed and polished my truck again today. #9/Deep Crystal Polish/NXT with a porter cable

I recently found another new product by mequires, it is color x. I was skeptical about any product that is suppose to restore color and remove swirl marks. I have a chevy s10 with some swirl and scratch marks, I applied a coat of this stuff and a coat of the generation wax, and it does work. All of my swirl marks were filled in nicely. It is better than the 3M products, and very easy to apply.

2001ssde: thanks for the info about color-x in combination with the nxt. I wanted to try just that myself, but I was worried that the color-x may adversely affect the bonding of the nxt, since nxt is a different concept than their other waxes...

So the color-x did not affect the bonding, application, or durability, etc. of the nxt, that you could notice?

Also wondering if anyone has seen the NXT Car Wash anywhere? Haven't found that yet.

NXT wax looks great when initially applied. It is not as durable as Zaino, but is better than most off the shelf waxes.

true, nxt does contain some chemical cleaners so it will not layer as well

NXT wash is very nice, thick, lubricating wash (and cheap!)I picked it up at advance autoparts.

I asked meguires, they said it has some very mild cleaners in it. I notice a definite improvement after a second coat, but I can't after that. I have gotten great results with using the spray wax after each wash. Maybe the spray doesn't have any of the cleaners and therefore can layer on top of the original coat? I'm just throwing that out there. I love the stuff. It leaves a nice slick and deep finish, and it lasts longer than anything I have used in the past (I haven't tried Zaino.)

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
How do you know it contains cleaners?

-draw a line on a painted surface with a black or blue permanant sharpie, allow 5 min to dry
-go over area lightly with the wax in question with your applicator
- line removed- you have cleaners, line remains- it's cleaner free!

Does anyone have a comparison of the NXT to liquid Glass (also a polymer with slight cleaning)?

thanks

Thanks for info carrera, makes sense about the spray layering better. I'll probably pick some of that up too. Durability is probably most important to me.

oiled, didn't think of that thanks...

Does anyone think that a clay bar would still be necessary after using the scrach-x or the color-x, as those are supposed to be deep cleaners themselves. I think a clay bar would be redundant.
I tried the standard meguiars cleaner on a different car several ago and the paint was so smooth after that I can't imagine any need for a clay bar.

The clay will do much better than the scratch X, but only if you need to do it. Get a latex glove and run your hand over the car. If you feel bumps or roughness then you need clay. When I bought my SAAB I tried a few cleaners and nothing buy clay did the job to smooth it out. Also, when I sold Mitsus the only thing that would make the paint on a Diamante feel good was a claying.

Ideally, this should be the procedure:
1) Wash
2) Clay (clay before polishing, so you remove contaminants and not grind them further into the finish when polishing)
3) Polish (to remove surface imperfections, not surface contamination)
4) wax

in addition to above procedure, use Dawn or similar dishwashing liquid (as in Zaino instructions) when you wash to remove any old wax. I find when I want to put a good layer of wax or polish on anything these days, it helps to have the surface squeaky clean, and the dishwashing detergent seems to really do the trick in addition to using the claybar.

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
Ideally, this should be the procedure:
1) Wash
2) Clay (clay before polishing, so you remove contaminants and not grind them further into the finish when polishing)
3) Polish (to remove surface imperfections, not surface contamination)
4) wax

i usually wash my car again after i clay, just to be sure. sometimes you get those little bits of clay hanging around.

Did the GTP yesterday...
shocked.gif

NXT wash, Meguiars clay, then NXT wax. NICE!

All products worked great. The wash was especially good considering how hard my water is. Other washes I have tried don't rinse off good and spot easily.
Suprised how nasty the clay bar got. You could feel it working too.
Thought it was pretty shiny until I put on wax! Didn't even have time to do more than one coat. I was going to do a couple more with the booster. Probably try that this weekend if I have time.

I waxed my 4Runner with NXT yesterday and overall I'm pretty happy with it. Good shine, it's easy to apply, and it cleans pretty well. The only downside is that the wax is almost the same color as my truck. It's *really* hard to tell where it's been applied and if all the haze has been removed. Now to see how long it lasts. I'm hoping it's a lot better than the other Meguiars products...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back