New VW Touareg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new VW Touareg 2004 V8 4.2L with less than 2.0 K miles. First oil change is due a 5K. I want to use synthetic oil ( I think). Some recommend using it at first oil change, other say wait until 10K beacuse of a better break-in period. Suggestions please. Also what viscosity, brand info or other information would be greatly appreciated. I read the owners manual but don't really understand all the technical stuff.

Are there significant differences between brands? Mobile 1, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc? Any pros & cons?

I live in eastern NC, hot muggy summers,winters not usually too bad but we can experience temps in the 15F-20's F at times. But is it is humid 24/7 365. Sorry to be so wordy

If you go with synthetic- Go with Mobil 1-5W-30 or 10W-30 (which ever is recommended for your vehicle.. It is a true Synthetic. Either that or Castrol Syntec 0W-30 =It must say Made in Germany on the back

You can go with Synthetic at any time.

Check your owner's manual. Since your still under warranty, I would try to stick with VW50x.x spec that should be listed and an oem filter. I know that Mobil 1 0w-40 meets the VW spec.

I would change your oil now (you want to get the particulates out now) with M1 0w-40 and follow either the normal or severe service maintenance from your manual. There should be some definitions, but a lot of short trips in a humid environment might be one criteria for the severe service.

welcome.gif
Nice vehicle! I would change out the oil now since you are at 2,000 miles. And there is usually a large quantity of wear metals in the factory fill by 2,000 miles and it doesn't do you any good to keep recirculating them through the engine. Use the factory filter and what ever oil is spec'd for your Touareg.

Whimsey

quote:

You don't want to change your oil too soon the first time, because you want your rings to seat.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the ring seating occurs in the first 20 miles, if not less. And even if its not fully done at 2k miles (which I doubt) changing the oil isn't going to effect how they seat.

There is thread on this forum pointing out a study by (GM I think) showing that running synthetic or dino's during early breakin miles doesn't effect the rings seating, or other breakin at all. This of course tends to lead me to believe that changing the oil at anytime (even right when you got the car home from the dealer) isn't going to effect anything engine internally, other then getting all the inital metal bits outta the oil.

Wait til 5 k for the first oil change and then change to synthetic. I am pretty sure the factory fill is synthetic. The main thing you want is a synthetic with ACEA A3 and VW 502 or 503.01 specs. M1 0w-40 has this. Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 has the VW 502. Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 and 10w-30 I believe will also meet these specs although it appears they haven't actually formally tested it yet. But these specs do appear on the back of the bottles so you'll be okay with warranty issues.

original question - Are there significant differences between brands? Mobile 1, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc? Any pros & cons?

There are differences between the various synthetic oils.

Some are made with Group III base stocks and some people do not believe these are "true" synthetics.

Some are made with Group IV and V base stocks and are generally thought of as being "true" synthetics.

I have not seen enough test data to conclude that there is or is not a "significant" difference between the two base stocks

As I recall, Castrol (other than maybe German Castrol 0w30) and Wal*Mart Super Tech snythetic are made with Group III base stocks.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil are made with Group IV and V base stocks. They have been made this way for maybe 30 years and there is a lot of test data indicating the fine quality of these oils.

I do not recall what the other oils you mentioned are made from.

My "bottom line" would be that if you were going to change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles it would make little difference what oil you choose. If you plan to go with extended (7,000 miles and above) you would be better served by going with a Group IV and V base stock oil, simply because the quality has been demonstrated through used oil analysis.

Happy motoring in your new ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back