New Valvoline?

In a thread from a few months ago I questioned whether the testing for NOACK has changed with SP/GF6. Valvoline's 5w20 went from having among the lowest NOACK values for a 20 weight oil currently available with their SN PLUS versions and now all of a sudden they are
I presume to think that there is more to this story that simply has not been revealed for public consumption. I surmise that testing has changed and the definitive results are just not available as of yet, however, the approved oils likely passed some preliminary screening to make sure that they passed the industry benchmark for NOACK being 15%.

My understanding some were given Provisional SP GF-6A because of a backlog of testing. Of course if they fail when actually tested it will be rescinded.

Also the standards for the Fuel.Conserving part of the equation I thought had increased (Some conflictng info for GF-6A on this). If so the easiest way to do it would be lower viscosity base oils and more VII. This would result in an oil that technically passed the viscosity requirements yet had increased temporary shear resulting in less.power loss.

Of course my understanding may be flawed.

My understanding some were given Provisional SP GF-6A because of a backlog of testing. Of course if they fail when actually tested it will be rescinded.

Also the standards for the Fuel.Conserving part of the equation I thought had increased (Some conflictng info for GF-6A on this). If so the easiest way to do it would be lower viscosity base oils and more VII. This would result in an oil that technically passed the viscosity requirements yet had increased temporary shear resulting in less.power loss.

Of course my understanding may be flawed.

Based on my own uneducated assessment of information provided by people like Gokhan I am not convinced that SP/GF6 is inherently "better" than SN/SN+/GF5 oils or at least I am not going to rush to begin using these new spec oils. I am perfectly happy using up the late spec oils I have on hand as well as that which I can buy discounted for as long as it lasts.

Frankly there are an abundance of SN generation oils (if you will) that I consider very impressive and I see no reason to not use them and may continue to favor their usage so long as they maintain SN status. Valvoline 0w40 would be one of them.

So this is what they are basing it on. Bottom line, yes it is a very good oil. All of the top tier synthetics from the major formulators are top notch.

• Innovative anti-wear additives provide 40% more wear protection than industry standards.†
  • Advanced protection for today’s hardworking cars, trucks and SUVs
  • Full synthetic formula provides up to 10X better protection against heat‡
  • Extra detergents help fight sludge and provide 25% better deposit protection than industry standards§
  • Meets the API SP classification protecting the latest engine technology
  • Superior antioxidants resist motor oil breakdown in extreme conditions
† As tested in the Industry Sequence X Chain Wear Test

‡ As tested in Industry Sequence IIIH test

§ As tested in the GM Oxidation and Deposit engine test

Oh new standards LOL does this mean more expensive oil like Modern engine. Its almost over the top of your hip waders. Get your chest waders on or better yet get back in the boat.

They all list SP except Modern Engine and Hybrid, and of course the European spec'd oils.
Where I went wrong is I just briefly looked at the pictures of the back of the bottles, I did not read the data sheets. You think that they would update the photos too. Surely I am not the only lazy guy to just look at the pics and not read the words.;)

Back