new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, ferrari512, I do appreciate you being so helpful in replying to my questions. I have read up on the issue, and checked out a few resources of my own. I've come away with the opinion that recycled motor oil is more than adequate for vehicles. Whether I agree or disagree with you, I respect that you've been more than polite by answering me on anything I've asked from you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I give up your thoughts on this matter are as factual as my opinion on who the next great football player will be. Which is to say not based too much on fact but a lot speculation. I will add that for the sake of the argument I gave you is from my knowledge and experience not from anything Valvoline has stated. Other than what percentage that Nextgen is formulated from Recycled basestocks. You have constantly contradicted your statements and have been proven wrong not only by myself but many other member's that have provided you with clear fact and other points of view and have backed that up with articles you can read and verify yourself from more than one source. You have given opinion and few facts that you provided backed up what I and many others have told you. No one here is drinking any kool-aid as you have stated but have tried to teach you were you have error'd.

Another study confirming everything I said about recycled oil vs virgin oil and recycled oil oxidizing.

http://www.spectroscopynow.com/coi/cda/detail.cda?id=19817&type=Feature&chId=1&page=1

Recycled engine oil has high levels of organic impurities, heavy metals, and carcinogenic compounds, according to work carried out by researchers in Jordan. They have used atomic absorption (AA), inductive couple plasma (ICP) and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) analyses to spot the differences between virgin and recycled engine oil.

Mohammad Al-Ghouti and Lina Al-Atoum of the Royal Scientific Society, Industrial Chemistry Centre, in Amman, explain that because engine oil undergoes many changes during use it is markedly different, in both chemical and physical properties, from a nice, fresh, virgin engine oil.

The researchers define lubricating engine oils as any fluid used to reduce friction and wear by interposing a film of material between rubbing surfaces. Commonly engine oils consist of two materials - a base oil and chemical additives, such as metallic detergents, ashless dispersants, zinc dithiophosphate, anti-oxidant/anti-wear, friction modifiers, antifoaming agents and pour-point depressants.

In use, engine oil degrades, additives become oxidised, and the fluid accumulates organic and metallic engine residues. As such, engine oils have to be replaced regularly to ensure the clean and efficient operation of the vehicle or machine they are being used to lubricate. It is, of course, possible to recycle used engine oil and refresh it to a near-virgin state.

The recycling processes currently used, however, leave recycled oils with a much higher water content, higher sediment levels, and higher concentrations of organic oxidation products in these oils than virgin oil. Recycled oil is also contaminated with higher levels of iron, cadmium, chromium, lead, and other metals than virgin oil. The presence of halogenated solvents in significant quantities produced by the degradation of chlorine and bromine lead-scavenging additives, is an additional concern in engine oils used with leaded gasoline. Moreover, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are a particular problem given their known carcinogenicity.

Nevertheless, lubricating oils are the most valuable component of crude oil, explain the researchers, so their recycling is important. The researchers hoped to find a straightforward approach to assessing the chemical properties of oils using atomic absorption (AA), inductive couple plasma (ICP) and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, and so provide a way to distinguish quickly and easily between recycled and virgin oils.

The first stage of the research involved the use of FTIR spectra of an engine oil sample (mono- and multi-grade) prior to use and in the recycled state. The team observed a broad feature centred at 1716 cm-1 in recycled oil that is not present in virgin oil. This, they explain, is due to the presence of carbonyl-containing degradation products of the oil. They also observed bands at 1732, 1169, 1154 and 1270 cm−1, which they assigned to the polymethacrylate stretching vibrations. This feature of the FTIR spectra allowed them to determine the presence of oil additives, including viscosity modifier and pour-point depressant.

The second stage was to develop the analytical technique, based on AA, for the determination of the levels of wear metals in recycled oil samples. "The determination of metal contents in a lubricating oil seems to be useful in the differentiation of virgin and recycled oil," the researchers say, "However, very little information concerning this problem is available in the literature."

The team's results on real samples show that the recycling processes used for purification of the sample oils are not adequate. This is particularly true in removing, or rather failing to remove, oxidation products and trace elements including lead, iron, and silicon. "The presence of oxidation products and trace metals in engine oils could primarily have a deleterious effect on equipment due to severe erosion," the team says, "However, the use of more advanced methods to remove such potential pollutants from waste oils involves higher preparation costs, making such oils uncompetitive with virgin oils."

They conclude on a positive note regarding the re-use of engine oils. "If these re-refined oils are manufactured correctly, there is then no reason not to use them," they say, "The requirement is, above all, that the re-refining process is perfect and the oils are alloyed correctly just like virgin-base oils."

I sure hope nextgen is not as bad as some are making it out to be..I'm using it in my girlfriends 08 civic..it has had a steady diet of pyb and the valvetrain looks spotless. I'm going to be doing a uoa on this oil when the maintenance minder says its due. Hopefully the motor will remain clean..I have lots of nextgen to use...approx 40k miles worth

Originally Posted By: ferrari512
They conclude on a positive note regarding the re-use of engine oils. "If these re-refined oils are manufactured correctly, there is then no reason not to use them," they say, "The requirement is, above all, that the re-refining process is perfect and the oils are alloyed correctly just like virgin-base oils."

Wow, just like everyone has been telling you for 2+ pages of doo dee.

NextGen is good oil. It meets SN and you can currently get it on discount for $9 a jug.

Good enough for me. This thread is ready for lock down.

This is also why the EPA has classified off spec used motor oil as hazardous waste, cant say that about crude oil.

Regardless of what the EPA definitions may or may not be, do you not see the lack of logic in trying to define crude oil as waste (hazardous or not)? It's not a used product and it's not the byproduct of a manufacturing process. It's something found in nature.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

NextGen is good oil. It meets SN and you can currently get it on discount for $9 a jug.

Lockdown for posting facts?

You left out something

"However, the use of more advanced methods to remove such potential pollutants from waste oils involves higher preparation costs, making such oils uncompetitive with virgin oils."

The process to get the used oil to this level of purity makes the recycled base oil more expensive than virgin base oil

Is there some conflation occurring between the generic term "recycled" and the more specific process "re-refined"? The two are not the same.

From the article cited by ferrari512, the authors state,

"Many authoritative sources, as well as this study, have thoroughly substantiated that there is essentially no difference in virgin-base stock oils and re-refined-base stock oils"

and

"Re-refining results in clean high quality base stocks."

Article:
Mohammad A. Al-Ghouti and Lina Al-Atoum. Virgin and recycled engine oil differentiation: A spectroscopic study. Journal of Environmental Management. Volume 90, Issue 1, January 2009, Pages 187–195

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am completely convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that ferrari512 should not buy NextGen.
smile.gif

lol.gif

There's always Synlube.

I give up your thoughts on this matter are as factual as my opinion on who the next great football player will be. Which is to say not based too much on fact but a lot speculation. I will add that for the sake of the argument I gave you is from my knowledge and experience not from anything Valvoline has stated. Other than what percentage that Nextgen is formulated from Recycled basestocks. You have constantly contradicted your statements and have been proven wrong not only by myself but many other member's that have provided you with clear fact and other points of view and have backed that up with articles you can read and verify yourself from more than one source. You have given opinion and few facts that you provided backed up what I and many others have told you. No one here is drinking any kool-aid as you have stated but have tried to teach you were you have error'd.

Another study confirming everything I said about recycled oil vs virgin oil and recycled oil oxidizing.

http://www.spectroscopynow.com/coi/cda/detail.cda?id=19817&type=Feature&chId=1&page=1

Recycled engine oil has high levels of organic impurities, heavy metals, and carcinogenic compounds, according to work carried out by researchers in Jordan. They have used atomic absorption (AA), inductive couple plasma (ICP) and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) analyses to spot the differences between virgin and recycled engine oil.

Mohammad Al-Ghouti and Lina Al-Atoum of the Royal Scientific Society, Industrial Chemistry Centre, in Amman, explain that because engine oil undergoes many changes during use it is markedly different, in both chemical and physical properties, from a nice, fresh, virgin engine oil.

The researchers define lubricating engine oils as any fluid used to reduce friction and wear by interposing a film of material between rubbing surfaces. Commonly engine oils consist of two materials - a base oil and chemical additives, such as metallic detergents, ashless dispersants, zinc dithiophosphate, anti-oxidant/anti-wear, friction modifiers, antifoaming agents and pour-point depressants.

In use, engine oil degrades, additives become oxidised, and the fluid accumulates organic and metallic engine residues. As such, engine oils have to be replaced regularly to ensure the clean and efficient operation of the vehicle or machine they are being used to lubricate. It is, of course, possible to recycle used engine oil and refresh it to a near-virgin state.

The recycling processes currently used, however, leave recycled oils with a much higher water content, higher sediment levels, and higher concentrations of organic oxidation products in these oils than virgin oil. Recycled oil is also contaminated with higher levels of iron, cadmium, chromium, lead, and other metals than virgin oil. The presence of halogenated solvents in significant quantities produced by the degradation of chlorine and bromine lead-scavenging additives, is an additional concern in engine oils used with leaded gasoline. Moreover, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are a particular problem given their known carcinogenicity.

Nevertheless, lubricating oils are the most valuable component of crude oil, explain the researchers, so their recycling is important. The researchers hoped to find a straightforward approach to assessing the chemical properties of oils using atomic absorption (AA), inductive couple plasma (ICP) and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, and so provide a way to distinguish quickly and easily between recycled and virgin oils.

The first stage of the research involved the use of FTIR spectra of an engine oil sample (mono- and multi-grade) prior to use and in the recycled state. The team observed a broad feature centred at 1716 cm-1 in recycled oil that is not present in virgin oil. This, they explain, is due to the presence of carbonyl-containing degradation products of the oil. They also observed bands at 1732, 1169, 1154 and 1270 cm−1, which they assigned to the polymethacrylate stretching vibrations. This feature of the FTIR spectra allowed them to determine the presence of oil additives, including viscosity modifier and pour-point depressant.

The second stage was to develop the analytical technique, based on AA, for the determination of the levels of wear metals in recycled oil samples. "The determination of metal contents in a lubricating oil seems to be useful in the differentiation of virgin and recycled oil," the researchers say, "However, very little information concerning this problem is available in the literature."

The team's results on real samples show that the recycling processes used for purification of the sample oils are not adequate. This is particularly true in removing, or rather failing to remove, oxidation products and trace elements including lead, iron, and silicon. "The presence of oxidation products and trace metals in engine oils could primarily have a deleterious effect on equipment due to severe erosion," the team says, "However, the use of more advanced methods to remove such potential pollutants from waste oils involves higher preparation costs, making such oils uncompetitive with virgin oils."

Well, thanks for the meaningless five year old article written by a Jordanian that does not address Valvoline's refining process.

Great Googling though!

Last edited:
Successful troll is negative troll!
smile.gif

I'm sure in your obsessive Google-phu, "ferrari", you've probably come across five articles that support the contention that recycled oil is every bit as good, if not superior, than oil refined from crude for every lame article from Aman, Jordan. I'm also sure you must have come to the conclusion that refining used motor oil is now economically viable...

Here's an article in the "Scientific American." You know, actual science...

Originally Posted By: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-oil-be-recycled&page=2
What is re-refined oil used for then?

Franceschi:
It's used essentially as a refined crude lubricant. Re-refined oil used to have a bad color associated with it because in the old days they didn't have modern technologies. They did some filtering and poured it over clay. They had these very, sort of, antique technologies. It did not make a high quality oil and it got a very bad reputation.

Today, with modern technologies, you could use it for passenger car motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, heavy-duty motor oil. There's no difference between oils re-refined with modern technologies and refined oil from virgin crude.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-oil-be-recycled&page=2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Lockdown for posting facts?

You left out something

"However, the use of more advanced methods to remove such potential pollutants from waste oils involves higher preparation costs, making such oils uncompetitive with virgin oils."

The process to get the used oil to this level of purity makes the recycled base oil more expensive than virgin base oil

OK? Your point? NextGen was more expensive than it's white bottle counterpart.

You know, the typical forum member gets on here, maybe introduces themselves, perhaps even ask a question or two. All you've done is jump in and bash NextGen and acuse existing members of being in bed with Valvoline.

How about starting over with a hello? Surely they have trolls over at Noria? Put yourself in our perspective with the NextGen bash.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Well, thanks for the meaningless five year old article written by a Jordanian that does not address Valvoline's refining process.

Great Googling though!

smile.gif

I'm sure in your obsessive Google-phu, "ferrari", you've probably come across five articles that support the contention that recycled oil is every bit as good, if not superior, than oil refined from crude for every lame article from Aman, Jordan. I'm also sure you must have come to the conclusion that refining used motor oil is now economically viable...

Originally Posted By: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-oil-be-recycled&page=2

Franceschi:
It's used essentially as a refined crude lubricant. Re-refined oil used to have a bad color associated with it because in the old days they didn't have modern technologies. They did some filtering and poured it over clay. They had these very, sort of, antique technologies. It did not make a high quality oil and it got a very bad reputation.

Today, with modern technologies, you could use it for passenger car motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, heavy-duty motor oil. There's no difference between oils re-refined with modern technologies and refined oil from virgin crude.

Hey put Nextgen in your car all you want pal, nothing would make me happier.

Great Googling though!

The technology for reclaiming oil is exactly the same since early 2000s, so what if its4 years old

smile.gif

Franceschi:

This has nothing to do with a paper on in depth analysis on recycled oil using AA technology that is specific for metals or FTIR.

You guys be the Nextgen fluffers all you want but there are other people on this site that might change their mind, thats good enough for me.

I am...

The technology for reclaiming oil is exactly the same since early 2000s, so what if its4 years old

Really? That's like saying the technology for refining crude is the same as it was in the 1920's. It's changed quite a bit, and roughly 50% of motor oil in Europe is reclaimed, recycled motor oil...

The article was written in 2007. And how would you know what the "technology" is? Since 2007, they can now create gasoline out of used motor oil involving technologies utilizing microwaves...

You are probably correct, although I would bet that Ashland has a few propritery methods to correct SOME concerns with recycled oil.

I would love to see a impartial study that looks into how using this 50% recycled motor oil blend affects long term engine health and wear.

I am...

Really? That's like saying the technology for refining crude is the same as it was in the 1920's. It's changed quite a bit, and roughly 50% of motor oil in Europe is reclaimed, recycled motor oil...

The article was written in 2007. And how would you know what the "technology" is? Since 2007, they can now create gasoline out of used motor oil involving technologies utilizing microwaves...

Its the CEP process, the same process used since the late 90s

Yes they can make gasoline out of used oil, they also can make other hydrocarbon products, Microwaves are nothing new its just a way to control temps uniformly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back