New: Valvoline Extended Protection ATF

So much for MaxLife I guess. The Nectar Of The Gods to some.
27.gif

Interesting. Doesn't have nearly the same list of acceptable applications as MaxLife. I wonder what the thought is here.

Interesting. Doesn't have nearly the same list of acceptable applications as MaxLife. I wonder what the thought is here.
Not my area of expertise - but the old maxlife was supposedly a good replacement for Nissan Matic D, J and S. S came out in like 2010 and was a lower viscosity fluid - supposedly backwards compatible with J.

The new fluid says its OK for Matic S and W. I don't know what W is for, but I am assuming since it no longer says D or J, its a lower viscosity fluid than the old Maxlife? Just guessing.

I know a lot of people in the Nissan world like Maxlife, and a lot said it made their transmission shift not as quickly and didn't like it.

Not my area of expertise - but the old maxlife was supposedly a good replacement for Nissan Matic D, J and S. S came out in like 2010 and was a lower viscosity fluid - supposedly backwards compatible with J.

The new fluid says its OK for Matic S and W. I don't know what W is for, but I am assuming since it no longer says D or J, its a lower viscosity fluid than the old Maxlife? Just guessing.

I know a lot of people in the Nissan world like Maxlife, and a lot said it made their transmission shift not as quickly and didn't like it.
Viscosity at 100c is the same 5.9

Matic-D and J would not have been considered "LV" or low viscosity fluids while S (and W) are. S is also synthetic vs the older fluids that were not. I've seen a lot of references that many transmissions can use LV fluids even if they weren't spec'd for it originally (as long as the composition is compatible). Using Nissan as the example, they have Matic-S as backwards-compatible to Matic-J so at least for their own transmissions, they're okay with it.

Not familiar with Matic-W but I seem to recall it's used for a small number of applications and is NOT a replacement for Matic-S.

Viscosity at 100c is the same 5.9
Well so much for my theory if the viscosities are the same. Every fluid I have ever seen that is Nissan Matic S rated, is backwards compatible to J and D even though the viscosities were fairly different. The S had a low viscosity - like 5 something. J and D were in the 7's somewhere. D was mineral oil. J I have never been able to confirm if it was synthetic or not - there are lots of www speculations.

J I have never been able to confirm if it was synthetic or not - there are lots of www speculations.
Depends on the stories you believe, but supposedly Matic-J and Castrol Transmax J, aka Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle, were the same fluid. Both were mineral oil based. Matic-S and Castrol Full Synthetic ATF then came out a numbers of years later and were supposed to be the same fluid too.

I get a little skeptical when they make a claim that it's X percent better than.....an obsolete, at least 20 year old and, superceded specification.

Might be great oil, but how about marketing wank that's a little less ridiculous please.

Back