New USA 0W30 Castrol ( AC ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get the thread back on track. No AC at the stores I checked this weekend. We did the Illinois Rt. 66 tour and there are a few stores along the way. Lots of "European Formula" with the M060876 date code and Made in Germany, but nothing new made in the USA.

I think it's a myth...

Yeah, if you found some M06 made in Germany then I would agree...
tongue.gif

OOPS, I should have said post green, not post GC. It is all marked made in Germany, and it is all gold, not green of course. Sorry for adding to the troubles about this subject. John

quote:

Originally posted by John Hilmer:
OOPS, I should have said post green, not post GC. It is all marked made in Germany, and it is all gold, not green of course. Sorry for adding to the troubles about this subject. John

No sweat. We'll get to the bottom of all this before too long. As you've no doubt picked up by now, you've wandered into the ultimate BITOG mine field.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
jsharp,

Thanks for the insights. If this is the prevailing theme throughout the entire company, they do not deserve to be in business.

I think that's how the majority of auto parts stores operate, not just Autozone.
Besides, they consistenly have some of the lowest prices.
And they carry GC!!!!
That's alone make them very, very special, at least in my book!

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Lots of "European Formula" with the M060876 date code and Made in Germany, but nothing new made in the USA.

My local store got that batch too.
It doesn't mean though that the U.S. stuff doesn' exist.

That's the tough part of this -- proving a negative is a very difficult proposition. Still, specific info showing that the newest batch numbers are still coming from Germany would make one wonder whether Castrol is actually dual sourcing this low-demand oil grade. The jury will be out for a while, I'm afraid. . .
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
I think that's how the majority of auto parts stores operate, not just Autozone.
Besides, they consistenly have some of the lowest prices.
And they carry GC!!!!
That's alone make them very, very special, at least in my book!

Yeah, that's pretty much how they all operate. I delivered parts for a parts store for a year. They were bought by Carquest about a month before I left. Nothing changed except for the white Wix filter boxes changed to Carquest blue boxes with Wix filters inside. Most, if not all, of the oil on the shelf was probably around from the time the store opened. Collecting dust. Some of the belts and exhaust parts looked like they were older than the store itself.

I wouldn't set foot in Autozone if they didn't carry GC. Now I know how to get to each one in the state. I've found that their employees aren't very knowledgeable. And for the most part, other customers are just in there buying air fresheners, detailing products or spinning hubcaps. Occasionally there will be some guy at the counter trying to understand what "core" means when buying an actual part for his beater. I see more people buying oil in Walmart than I do in Autozone. Of course I don't frequent either very often.

quote:

Originally posted by tdimaniac:
this thread is starting to remind me of roswell... "just because you didn't see it, you can't prove it didn't happen" ...

-

I get my GC at
 -
It is only 189 shmeckrons per krumvalt

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:
Jimmy Carter did see this M13xxx AC at his local AZ.

I'm really starting to think that this "AC" doesn't exist. No one has come up with any substantive evidence and the serial numbers are all wrong. Why would Castrol suddenly start to make 0w-30 with serial numbers that are out of sequence? And another thing: I don't recall seeing serial numbers on the bottoms of the bottles of domestically made Syntec (5w-30, 10w-30 etc.). If 0w-30 is now made in the U.S., wouldn't Castrol stop putting serial numbers on the bottle? There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, however. The AZ in DeKalb usually has the most recent variant of GC because someone besides myself buys the stuff in quantity. So if there is AC, it should show up at the Dekalb AZ soon.

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:
Why would Castrol suddenly start to make 0w-30 with serial numbers that are out of sequence? And another thing: I don't recall seeing serial numbers on the bottoms of the bottles of domestically made Syntec (5w-30, 10w-30 etc.).

Castrol prints batch numbers on every Syntec bottle, regardless of grade.
Castrol wouldn't change its labeling technics for no reason.
Here is what those batch numbers stand for.
For example, if you have M06087...., the "M" would represent the plant location.
The five digits '06087' represent the date of production.
The number 06 represents the last digit of the year (2006) and the '087' represents the day of the year, based on 365 calendar days, on which it was produced (around March 27).
So far that's been the newest known batch reported. It was still been made in Germany.
The new post-GC (if exists)would still have similar to the above batch numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:
Jimmy Carter did see this M13xxx AC at his local AZ.

I'm really starting to think that this "AC" doesn't exist. No one has come up with any substantive evidence and the serial numbers are all wrong. Why would Castrol suddenly start to make 0w-30 with serial numbers that are out of sequence? And another thing: I don't recall seeing serial numbers on the bottoms of the bottles of domestically made Syntec (5w-30, 10w-30 etc.). If 0w-30 is now made in the U.S., wouldn't Castrol stop putting serial numbers on the bottle? (...snip...)

I agree. As to the "M13..." thing, I've written that off as erroneous reading. I've seen a fair number of bottles that have compressed or smudged, or otherwise hard to read numbering. I'd bet that bottle was really an M03... bottle (green, btw!) misread. I have seen other Castrol products with the same or similar serialization scheme appearing on the bottom of the bottles, so no, they wouldn't stop doing this with "AC" if it existed.

I also agree.

If an old bottle was read as we have seen reported and there was an error in reading or reporting the date code, it isn't hard for me to see how we could see that "M13... " was reported.

If I were to speculate as to a source for an errant read I would think it might have been "M020136ATW..." as we have come to accept as normal date coding.

However, to see that on the same bottle showing "European Formula" on the front and "MADE IN GERMANY" on the back still can't be correct as far as I can see.

For me; it is still as above. I don't think the "AC" version exists. John

Oh my heavens -- this malarky is spreading beyond BITOG!!! Though I drive a G35, I'm also a member of Maxima.org, because the current Max's engine is a VQ35 very similar to the G's, and they have some good engine discussions. Anyway, they also have a pretty good Fluids & Lubes sub-forum. I posted a link-over thread there so that the Max guys could see my recent good GC UOA posted here. Look what surfaces in the third-to-last post! Yes, I am "Torkaholic."
wink.gif

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, here's the link: "AC" Legend Surfaces at Maxima.org!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back