New Truck - Go with Diesel or....Gas model? Ford 3.5 Turbo took a dump.

Allow me to dissect your post ... I find a lot to call into question ... This will come off as harsh, but I think some tough talk is due.

The two statements above are contradictory; how is a "well maintained" truck a gallon low on coolant? Any engine that low on coolant had one of two things happen:
- rapid coolant loss over a very short time; went ignored because ya can't miss a gallon of coolant sitting on the driveway
- slow loss of coolant over long duration of time; went ignored because no one bothered to check the coolant bottle in 4 years
Either way, this coolant condition was not "well maintained".

This is not unheard of in the 3.5L EB engines. While not "common", it's a known thing. However, this doesn't happen overnight. Every time he started the truck and heard the noise, he was ignoring an obvious problem. I don't believe this truck is as "well maintained" as you're claiming it to be; I think it's been grossly ignored.

As has been said, a 4 year old truck with 59k miles SHOULD fall under warranty; he shouldn't have to pay anything.
He shouldn't be at a "reputable shop"; he should be going to the dealer to get warranty coverage.

I think you have your statement mixed up? You meant to say you WOULD have purchased a 5.0L?
Further, the turbos didn't have anything to do with the timing set problems. And there are plenty examples of high-mileage turbo engines fairing quite well. Your comments are anecdotal.

I suggest you review your comment; any modern diesel is turbo.

Not to be rude, but that much is plainly obvious.

5.0L in the F150; 6.8L/7.3L in the SDs.
You clearly know how to get on the internet, because you're here on BITOG. Ever occur to look at the website for Ford and see what options are out there?

Most any full-size modern truck should handle that just fine. Towing capacities are well stated on the OEM websites.

You're welcome.

SUMMARY
It's my opinion that your buddy should be getting his advice from somewhere else. And if you're a good friend you'll admit that to him.
Well
I wonder if it was tuned and that voided the warranty.
Nope... nothing on that end.

Allow me to dissect your post ... I find a lot to call into question ... This will come off as harsh, but I think some tough talk is due.

The two statements above are contradictory; how is a "well maintained" truck a gallon low on coolant? Any engine that low on coolant had one of two things happen:
- rapid coolant loss over a very short time; went ignored because ya can't miss a gallon of coolant sitting on the driveway
- slow loss of coolant over long duration of time; went ignored because no one bothered to check the coolant bottle in 4 years
Either way, this coolant condition was not "well maintained".

This is not unheard of in the 3.5L EB engines. While not "common", it's a known thing. However, this doesn't happen overnight. Every time he started the truck and heard the noise, he was ignoring an obvious problem. I don't believe this truck is as "well maintained" as you're claiming it to be; I think it's been grossly ignored.

As has been said, a 4 year old truck with 59k miles SHOULD fall under warranty; he shouldn't have to pay anything.
He shouldn't be at a "reputable shop"; he should be going to the dealer to get warranty coverage.

I think you have your statement mixed up? You meant to say you WOULD have purchased a 5.0L?
Further, the turbos didn't have anything to do with the timing set problems. And there are plenty examples of high-mileage turbo engines fairing quite well. Your comments are anecdotal.

I suggest you review your comment; any modern diesel is turbo.

Not to be rude, but that much is plainly obvious.

5.0L in the F150; 6.8L/7.3L in the SDs.
You clearly know how to get on the internet, because you're here on BITOG. Ever occur to look at the website for Ford and see what options are out there?

Most any full-size modern truck should handle that just fine. Towing capacities are well stated on the OEM websites.

You're welcome.

SUMMARY
It's my opinion that your buddy should be getting his advice from somewhere else. And if you're a good friend you'll admit that to him.
Well.... Truly some "Tough Talk" and I respect and appreciate your opinion on this. (It's why I came and posted here to this forum.)

A few things I'd like to say though...

1.) I'm not a "truck guy". Meaning... I don't own one, work on them, or follow the truck forums for up-to-date knowledge.

2.) I wrote my post quickly and didn't take too much time going over explicit details as if I were a lawyer in a courtroom. So.. I can understand where a few things are confusing. Sorry.

3.) You're assuming I am telling him what to buy and how to proceed and doing it with "limited knowledge". What I do know is that I've kept my own vehicles on the road for years and years (22 years+ on one vehicle, 265k miles on my Miata) I have repaired/ fixed/ restored more than a few vehicles in my time.

In other words - I do know something about mechanical devices. I'm anal about my own cars maintenance and so forth.

I freely and openly admit I lack knowledge about today's Diesel offerings and don't pretend to know the particulars involved. I've always read and understood that "Diesel engines" were built more robust and offered more low-end grunt, towing capacity, and reliability. (although, I'm understanding that is also questionable these days.)

4.) Brand loyalty. Yes, I realize many of you are going to stick with a manufacturer because of certain reasons that are important to you. My friend is definately a Ford loyalist. He's purchased Ford trucks his whole life and is very disappointed this happened to his truck.

5.) Yes, I can get on the internet and check "what's out there". What I can't get from the Ford website is "opinions" and ownership experience. This is why I came here first.

6.) My buddy drives his truck and like many owners, follows a maintenance schedule. He's not a member of this forum, nor is he staying awake at night thinking about his next OCI or recent Blackstone report.

I could go on and on.... but... just wanted to say (To everyone here) how much I do appreciate the suggestions and advice. We all have anecdotal experience of knowledge about certain things.

My opinion is mine own and I personally do not like the "complexity" of modern turbo-charged engines. Give me a port injected, normally aspirated, V8 engine any day of the week. I would have chosen the 5.0L Coyote over the other options. But hey, that's just me.

Anyhow... my buddy is weighing his options and talking with the Ford dealer today. Lastly - Thanks for taking the time to post. ;)

Last edited:
2021 or older Tundra.
2012 or older pre-DI Chevy anything. 6.0 gas 3/4 ton is ideal.
Titans are ok but i'm not a fan of DI, so only the first gen Titan is on my good list.

Ford makes utter trash these days.

🔥
Some will say your opinion is anecdotal etc... But... I would tend to agree that "complexity" is a very large point in my dislike for the way they are building engines today. Look at "DI" and your average person has been led to believe this is a good thing. Is it really? (Not in my book).

Ford is putting out some trash for sure. (along with GM, others) I drive a Ford work van with the 3.7L V6 and it's been great. So apparently, they can do some things well and then complicate the 3.5 with it's own set of issues.

Curious as to why he did not take to a Ford dealer with 59000 and attempt to use power train warranty which is 5yr/60k typically on majority of vehicles.

Worst they say is no. Don’t tell them what happened.

Ford is putting out some trash for sure. (along with GM, others) I drive a Ford work van with the 3.7L V6 and it's been great. So apparently, they can do some things well and then complicate the 3.5 with it's own set of issues.
I would disagree that all Fords are trash. My F250 with 6.2L has been a stalwart; nothing but reliable.

As for the 3.7L and 3.5L Fords, do you realize those are the same engine family (Cyclone series)? The 3.3L, 3.5L and 3.7L all have the same basic design; only the displacement changes.
- In transverse applications, they do have internal water pumps; that's expensive to replace.
- In longitudinal applications, they put the pump outside; much easier to get to.
- All of those engines have variable valve timing; even the "great" 3.7L in your work van. They are all DOHC with cam phasers.
- The EB applications get some beefed up components for the boosted pressure, but essentially all Cyclone engines are of the same design.
So the engine in your friend's truck (the one you're lamenting) is essentially the same as the one in your van (the one you're praising).

I am in general agreement with you; I prefer simpler designs over more complex ones. Complex systems can work really well, until they don't ... and then they're more expensive and time consuming to fix.

I don't know why we have these-what I term "third party posts" It would be a lot "cleaner" if the OP stated-"Hey I'm on this forum that would be a great resource in your situation. Let me help you sign up and create your first post".
That way you are talking to the person with the problem with intermixing prejudices and opinions-that the OP has.

I would disagree that all Fords are trash. My F250 with 6.2L has been a stalwart; nothing but reliable.

As for the 3.7L and 3.5L Fords, do you realize those are the same engine family (Cyclone series)? The 3.3L, 3.5L and 3.7L all have the same basic design; only the displacement changes.
- In transverse applications, they do have internal water pumps; that's expensive to replace.
- In longitudinal applications, they put the pump outside; much easier to get to.
- All of those engines have variable valve timing; even the "great" 3.7L in your work van. They are all DOHC with cam phasers.
- The EB applications get some beefed up components for the boosted pressure, but essentially all Cyclone engines are of the same design.
So the engine in your friend's truck (the one you're lamenting) is essentially the same as the one in your van (the one you're praising).

I am in general agreement with you; I prefer simpler designs over more complex ones. Complex systems can work really well, until they don't ... and then they're more expensive and time consuming to fix.
Very OT. I say I prefer simple as well, but then I look at how well my wife’s 2.4t Volvo has held up. I’m guessing an older Japanese turbo is better than what’s being made today, but I really don’t know.

I’m really wanting a new truck but am just not ready for the expense yet. It’s too bad they are ending the current gen of Tacoma because I don’t think they’ll have a normal NA option in the next gen. I’ll have to look into the Frontier I suppose.

Well... I'm sure I'm going to open-up a can of worms here. In a nutshell, I am trying to help-out a buddy that owns a 2019 Ford 150 with the 3.5L Twin Turbo and 59k miles.

Last week, he called me for help and pulled-over on the highway because of a high temperature reading. Checked coolant level and there was practically zero coolant left in the recovery tank. We added a full gallon of new coolant and temps got back to normal. He caught it just in time. Not only that, every time he started the truck, he heard a 'knocking sound" (Which was determined today to be cam phasers and timing chain "slap".)

Anyhow... the truck is very well maintained and only has 59k miles. He just came back from a reputable shop and got an estimate of almost $6k to replace and fix the water pump, timing chain and more... He's not happy and asked me what I would do. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)

Sooooo.... He's looking at another Ford or GMC with two options - V8 or Diesel powered. No interest in any "Turbo" BS... Any suggestions?

I told him I didn't know much about the Diesel choices and was unsure if Ford offered a V-8 in any of their models (2022/2023)?

What stands-out for reliability these days? He tows less than 9,000lbs and needs to know what his best option is. NO TURBO's for him anymore.

Thanks!
He should still be under 5/60 powertrain warranty. Just fix it. If he is regularly towing 9k that is not a good diet for any 150/1500 of any make.

He should still be under 5/60 powertrain warranty. Just fix it. If he is regularly towing 9k that is not a good diet for any 150/1500 of any make.

The issue is that with the "max tow" package Ford states IT CAN TOW 11,000 pounds. Which is silly. He should be no more than around 7,000 pounds.

Very OT. I say I prefer simple as well, but then I look at how well my wife’s 2.4t Volvo has held up. I’m guessing an older Japanese turbo is better than what’s being made today, but I really don’t know.

I’m really wanting a new truck but am just not ready for the expense yet. It’s too bad they are ending the current gen of Tacoma because I don’t think they’ll have a normal NA option in the next gen. I’ll have to look into the Frontier I suppose.

If you wait you will end up with a turbo. It's just a matter of time.

6.) ... He's not a member of this forum, nor is he staying awake at night thinking about his next OCI or recent Blackstone report.

He's missing out!

I get nightmares about low HTHS oils, vii and Noack. :alien: :ROFLMAO:

Tell him to use M1 FS 0W-40. It will solve all his problems!

Last edited:
Back