New Truck - Go with Diesel or....Gas model? Ford 3.5 Turbo took a dump.

I don't know why we have these-what I term "third party posts" It would be a lot "cleaner" if the OP stated-"Hey I'm on this forum that would be a great resource in your situation. Let me help you sign up and create your first post".
That way you are talking to the person with the problem with intermixing prejudices and opinions-that the OP has.Point observed
Point observed...

However, being that my buddy runs a construction company and had barely any time to sit still during his day, he asked me to do a little research on his behalf. After a long conversation (while he was driving to a job site), we both agreed upon the operation and concerns he wanted to know.

My "bias" towards "simplicity" vs. "complexity" is a topic we both agree on 100%. Having said that, I know more about certain subjects than he does and likewise on his part. In other words, "IF" he was here posting...you would pretty much be reading the same comments. "What he said!".

Lastly, I'm the guy in the room that's not afraid to ask a "dumb question".... nor am I writing a thesis paper to try and back-up my non-researched questions.

I'm just putting it out there with the hopes for a clear answer. What irks me it that there are some people here that are more interested in asking "WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS???...EVERYONE KNOWS THAT Blahhh...Blahhhh...."

Thank you to to those forum members that actually answered my questions without delving into my motivation.

Keep us updated.
UPDATE -

The Ford dealer informed him they can look at his truck but "inspection appointments" are forty days out! Really?? At this point, they (Ford) are telling him to "Get in line..."

In the meantime.... I have been doing some research (That should make a few of you really happy.) and comparing the GM Duramax Diesel options vs. gasser options.

Why am I doing this research? Let me see... because my buddy stopped at a GMC dealer and was presented with some options.

Again... I hope that satisfies those that want to know - "Why are you???" I'm hoping to know more in the next few days on what his options are.

Right now, I've learned a great deal about the Duramax "down & upsides". My (Biased) opinion will be to tell my buddy the pro's & con's of going with either choice.

My research is showing there is NO clear winner here and "Pick your poison" is a very fair statement when it comes to choosing a reliable drive train.

On that note... more to come.

UPDATE -

The Ford dealer informed him they can look at his truck but "inspection appointments" are forty days out! Really?? At this point, they (Ford) are telling him to "Get in line..."

In the meantime.... I have been doing some research (That should make a few of you really happy.) and comparing the GM Duramax Diesel options vs. gasser options.

Why am I doing this research? Let me see... because my buddy stopped at a GMC dealer and was presented with some options.

Again... I hope that satisfies those that want to know - "Why are you???" I'm hoping to know more in the next few days on what his options are.

Right now, I've learned a great deal about the Duramax "down & upsides". My (Biased) opinion will be to tell my buddy the pro's & con's of going with either choice.

My research is showing there is NO clear winner here and "Pick your poison" is a very fair statement when it comes to choosing a reliable drive train.

On that note... more to come.

My 2 cents, get the truck fixed if possible, check different dealers.

If he insists on buying a replacement and wants a "better" truck, then go for a 3/4 ton gasser. Both the GM 6.6 and the Ford 6.8/7.3 are simpler and can take far more of a beating, though they possibly won't win in a 0 to 60 vs the ecoboost. These engines have known issues right now as well (a few 6.6 burn a bit of oil, and the 7.3 has a delaminating cam) so you pick your poison. The Ram 6.4 is also a good choice, it's weakness is that a few get lifter failure and it has MDS, the rest of the truck is a little behind the GM and Ford as it's an older platform at this point.

He's in construction and pulling at the high end for a half ton, he should be in a 3/4 ton work truck.

UPDATE -

Couple of things.. there are tons of those 3.5 turbo's running around with over 200k.. if you get in the ford forums and youtube vids you will see.

Also.. are you in Phoenix ??.. you need to find a good independent ford repair place to do the work.. and he should get the parts himself.. Water pump is around $50 to $80 .. and timing chain kit is around $250.

My 2 cents, get the truck fixed if possible, check different dealers.

If he insists on buying a replacement and wants a "better" truck, then go for a 3/4 ton gasser. Both the GM 6.6 and the Ford 6.8/7.3 are simpler and can take far more of a beating, though they possibly won't win in a 0 to 60 vs the ecoboost. These engines have known issues right now as well (a few 6.6 burn a bit of oil, and the 7.3 has a delaminating cam) so you pick your poison. The Ram 6.4 is also a good choice, it's weakness is that a few get lifter failure and it has MDS, the rest of the truck is a little behind the GM and Ford as it's an older platform at this point.

He's in construction and pulling at the high end for a half ton, he should be in a 3/4 ton work truck.
Good advice. He's waiting on "If" the dealer will warranty everything. Then it would make sense if they are footing the bill. Apparently, they cannot confirm or deny anything until they schedule an appointment. In the meantime, (And after some in-depth research), he has deleted the Diesel "anything" option. If they will not repair his truck, he's looking at the GM 6.6/7.3 or even a 5.0 Ford option.

Yes, correct, he's in construction on the management side and he tows on a few occasions. He's not towing heavy loads on a weekly basis. He wants to be prepared just in case he does need the capacity. I think he would be fine with what he has been using so far... And 100% agree on the "Pick your poison" comment!

I believe I've educated him enough on the pitfalls of each brand and options. Burning oil is the least offending trait here. AFM, Cylinder deactivation, Turbos, and other complexities are something he would like to avoid totally. Will see what he decides and I'll follow-up.

Couple of things.. there are tons of those 3.5 turbo's running around with over 200k.. if you get in the ford forums and youtube vids you will see.

Also.. are you in Phoenix ??.. you need to find a good independent ford repair place to do the work.. and he should get the parts himself.. Water pump is around $50 to $80 .. and timing chain kit is around $250.
Yes, Phoenix area and to a well known shop. Shop told him the timing kits are back ordered... Yes, I'm sure there are examples of the 3.5's making it to 200k...
I'm also aware that there are Ford loyalists that think this engine is the greatest engine ever. And, for them and plus 200k crowd, I say fantastic!

I don't feel that way about this drive train. But... he can make his own choices and all I tell him is that he better have a fat wallet or warranty ready when this new tech does go south.

I saw a real nice new '23 Chevy 2500 Silverado Custom Crew 4x4 with the 6.6 liter for $47k msrp at the dealer about a month ago. It was black and looked really sharp. Had all the basics. Sure beats paying $72k plus for a new F250/350 diesel with the Tremor package.

Last edited:
Well... I'm sure I'm going to open-up a can of worms here. In a nutshell, I am trying to help-out a buddy that owns a 2019 Ford 150 with the 3.5L Twin Turbo and 59k miles.

Last week, he called me for help and pulled-over on the highway because of a high temperature reading. Checked coolant level and there was practically zero coolant left in the recovery tank. We added a full gallon of new coolant and temps got back to normal. He caught it just in time. Not only that, every time he started the truck, he heard a 'knocking sound" (Which was determined today to be cam phasers and timing chain "slap".)

Anyhow... the truck is very well maintained and only has 59k miles. He just came back from a reputable shop and got an estimate of almost $6k to replace and fix the water pump, timing chain and more... He's not happy and asked me what I would do. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)

Sooooo.... He's looking at another Ford or GMC with two options - V8 or Diesel powered. No interest in any "Turbo" BS... Any suggestions?

I told him I didn't know much about the Diesel choices and was unsure if Ford offered a V-8 in any of their models (2022/2023)?

What stands-out for reliability these days? He tows less than 9,000lbs and needs to know what his best option is. NO TURBO's for him anymore.

Thanks!
Depends on if you have to finance or pay cash.

You could buy an older 2500 chevy gasser, with a good body, rebuild the rngine and drive train, and have a better truck than anything out today.........for a third of the price of a new one. Of course this would be the cash option. Either way, Chevy for HD Toyota for half tons.

Good advice. He's waiting on "If" the dealer will warranty everything. Then it would make sense if they are footing the bill. Apparently, they cannot confirm or deny anything until they schedule an appointment. In the meantime, (And after some in-depth research), he has deleted the Diesel "anything" option. If they will not repair his truck, he's looking at the GM 6.6/7.3 or even a 5.0 Ford option.

Yes, correct, he's in construction on the management side and he tows on a few occasions. He's not towing heavy loads on a weekly basis. He wants to be prepared just in case he does need the capacity. I think he would be fine with what he has been using so far... And 100% agree on the "Pick your poison" comment!

I believe I've educated him enough on the pitfalls of each brand and options. Burning oil is the least offending trait here. AFM, Cylinder deactivation, Turbos, and other complexities are something he would like to avoid totally. Will see what he decides and I'll follow-up.
I believe the new 5.0 has cylinder deactivation now also.

I’ve owned old diesels before turbo, I’ve owned turbo diesels. I will not own turbo diesels with dpf.
The dpf isn't that bad as long as you do enough highway miles, it's adblue injection where things get messy

I've owned diesel pickups for over 30 years. If I was buying new today, it would be gasoline.
Really, there is no real reason to buy a diesel. The ONLY thing I see as being an advantage is if you tow a bunch, like 80% of driving or more. But for most, even under heavy use, the gas truck will do everything a diesel can do, at way less operating cost, and initial cost. I would argue that the reliability of gas vs diesel sides more toward gas these days.

I own a v8 gas truck ... but you can't match the low end torque of a diesel for serious towing.

Yes, Phoenix area and to a well known shop. Shop told him the timing kits are back ordered... Yes, I'm sure there are examples of the 3.5's making it to 200k...
I'm also aware that there are Ford loyalists that think this engine is the greatest engine ever. And, for them and plus 200k crowd, I say fantastic!

I don't feel that way about this drive train. But... he can make his own choices and all I tell him is that he better have a fat wallet or warranty ready when this new tech does go south.
It seems that you are probably part of the "more mature" group on here who is phobic to most new tech-even tho turbos are not.

Well... I'm sure I'm going to open-up a can of worms here. In a nutshell, I am trying to help-out a buddy that owns a 2019 Ford 150 with the 3.5L Twin Turbo and 59k miles.

Last week, he called me for help and pulled-over on the highway because of a high temperature reading. Checked coolant level and there was practically zero coolant left in the recovery tank. We added a full gallon of new coolant and temps got back to normal. He caught it just in time. Not only that, every time he started the truck, he heard a 'knocking sound" (Which was determined today to be cam phasers and timing chain "slap".)

Anyhow... the truck is very well maintained and only has 59k miles. He just came back from a reputable shop and got an estimate of almost $6k to replace and fix the water pump, timing chain and more... He's not happy and asked me what I would do. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)

Sooooo.... He's looking at another Ford or GMC with two options - V8 or Diesel powered. No interest in any "Turbo" BS... Any suggestions?

I told him I didn't know much about the Diesel choices and was unsure if Ford offered a V-8 in any of their models (2022/2023)?

What stands-out for reliability these days? He tows less than 9,000lbs and needs to know what his best option is. NO TURBO's for him anymore.

Thanks!
If he only has 59k miles and has verifiable problems why is he not taking it to the Ford dealer under the powertrain warranty?? @bdcardinal can you give some help?

Back