New Toyota 2.5L Engine Requires 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change."
I want to know what's up with that ^^^ statement. Either 5W-20 is going to grenade the motor or it isn't. Is there some sort of "counter" in the engine that knows how many times in a row you used 5W-20?

Originally Posted By: edhackett
"We used 0W-20 to establish the CAFE figures for this engine. We are required by EPA regulation to brainwash you into using nothing but the oil we used for this testing."
I saved a copy of the 2001 letter sent by the EPA "allowing" Ford to use 5W-20 to qualify their engines for CAFE, and it basically states almost EXACTLY what edhackett wrote. "We will allow you to use 5W-20 but you have to be sure and tell all your dealers and the quick lubes to use it and print it very clearly on the oil cap and in your owner's manuals...blah, blah, etc..."

Originally Posted By: mozart
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Do you really think that Toyota is going to do a UOA on any vehicle to find the viscosity in the engine should there be a warranty issue? Run any 0W20 or 5W20 without worry.

Do you really think if there is a warranty issue that Toyota isn't gonna check for receipts for what oil was used?

I had the sludge issue in my old camry and yes they checked all the paper work to see if the oil was changed on time. The receipts I had didnt have the viscosity and they were not bothered by that at all. All they wanted to make sure I had changed the oil on time. I could have run 20w50 and they wouldnt have cared.

Originally Posted By: deven

I had the sludge issue in my old camry and yes they checked all the paper work to see if the oil was changed on time. The receipts I had didnt have the viscosity and they were not bothered by that at all. All they wanted to make sure I had changed the oil on time. I could have run 20w50 and they wouldnt have cared.

Did they replace the engine?

AD

My Ranger requires 5w-30. I wanted to use 0w-30 and not be hassled by the dealer about it if I had to bring it in, so here's what I did: I bought a 5-qt jug of 0w-30 AND I bought a 5 qt jug of 5w-30 for one of my other vehicles. If I had to bring it for warranty work, I would just say I used the 5w-30 for the truck and the 0w-30 is for the other car.

My warranty already expired and the situation never came up though.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

AD

Yes they did. They were trying for any reason not to. They didn't think I would be saving my slips and doing UOA's too. The average toyota owners dont know much when it comes to automobile engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

this is a dealer trick to extract profits.

Requirement is made from the factory, not the dealer.

...but it may be a factory requirement FOR the dealer. Just like ATF and other fluids were for Honda (heck, add to the list). While synthetic 5w-20 is widely available. 0w-20 is in limited availability.

Could someone please show me where in the o/p clip, does it state that Toyota "requires" 0W-20? I see "Recommended viscosity" Does it state anywhere that the warranty is void if the recommended oil is not used?

Those of you who think Toyota might do an UOA in the event of engine failure - what would happen if the dealership itself put, let's say 10W-30 or even 5W-30 in it?

Um, yeah. Forgive me at not taking some thread starter at his word. But Toyota already lists 0W-20 on their preferred list, along side 5W-20...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Um, yeah. Forgive me at not taking some thread starter at his word. But Toyota already lists 0W-20 on their preferred list, along side 5W-20...

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/attac...ecification.pdf

It's on page 4 of the pdf, or page 483 of the manual.

0w-20 is the only recommended oil. In the past, they would list both 0w-20 and 5w-20 on the temperature charts, but that isn't the case with this engine.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

0w-20 is the only recommended oil. In the past, they would list both 0w-20 and 5w-20 on the temperature charts, but that isn't the case with this engine.

Interesting too that they say: "The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is as (sic) its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load condition."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Really?

From the download:

SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.

However, it must be replaced
with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change.

Dramatic all of a sudden?

Is Toyota going to void your warranty if you don't "replace" 5W-20 at the next change with 0W-20 because it wasn't available (which it isn't for all practicable purposes)

Last edited:
I have 2 quarts M1 0W20 for sale at $12 per bottle plus shipping
thumbsup2.gif
Just want to help you remain in warranty
thumbsup2.gif

20k miles on M1 0W-20 is a bit optimistic no?

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Great, now if I can get it to be the preferred oil for my new Sienna then I can use 0W20 it in that under warranty!

I have used nothing except Mobil 1 0W20 for the last 250 k miles in both our commuter car and our extreme use tow vehicle (500,000 miles total) and both motors continue to perform like new. The cost of conventional motor oil has become much closer to synthetic price over the years, so the cost penalty is small.

I agree the 5K oci is too short, I have been using 20K with great success.

Currrently Mobil 1 0W20 is 26 bucks for 5 qt jugs, and a $10 rebate makes it 16 bucks. I would be happy with the Pennzoil 0W20 synthetic also, anyone ever see any good deals on it???

I think it's kinda cool that Toyota's making such a strong-arm recommendation for 0w-20. I wish they'd hurry and spec 0w-10 for their engines so I could feel more comfortable running 0w-20 in mine.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Currrently Mobil 1 0W20 is 26 bucks for 5 qt jugs, and a $10 rebate makes it 16 bucks. I would be happy with the Pennzoil 0W20 synthetic also, anyone ever see any good deals on it???

Color me curious. I've never seen M1 0w-20 in the 5qt jugs. Where did you find them?

Pennzoil 0w-20... pics or it doesn't exist. It's a very elusive product in my part of the U.S.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: crinkles
just wait a while to see what australian dealers put in this new engine from 2010. I can guarantee you they will be using 5w-30 and 10w-30

Exactly. All those details are from the North American owners manual, everywhere else in the world will have 30wts and probably more listed.

I'd be shocked if your local dealership even had 0w20 in stock.

i have not seen a 20wt oil (mineral or whatever) on the shelf here, ever.

toyota would have to have their own custom supplier if they were to spec it here. i don't think it would fly! we are the country of thicker is better.

i am actually cosnidering using SJ 15w-40 in my 2az-fe. (which the owner's manual says is fine).

AD

Yes they did. They were trying for any reason not to. They didn't think I would be saving my slips and doing UOA's too. The average toyota owners dont know much when it comes to automobile engines.

Being thorough, organized, and ready to fight are all keys to being successful in a situation like yours. Keep in mind Toyota already had a sludge history with that engine. Had you ended up in court with documentation (like you had), a judge would have forced them to make good on your engine. They already knew they lost the battle with you! Glad you came out on top. Had it not been documented the engine was sludge prone, it could have ended differently.

Toyota is also one of the more reputable auto makers.

AD

I'm always surprised when I read over and again that an identical engine specs different oil visc in different parts of the world. The bitog in me wants one answer, one conclusive answer. What I take from this is that it really doesn't matter what visc you run, other then no 20w50 in -30 degree weather. Otherwise, it just doesn't matter.

AD

Being thorough, organized, and ready to fight are all keys to being successful in a situation like yours. Keep in mind Toyota already had a sludge history with that engine. Had you ended up in court with documentation (like you had), a judge would have forced them to make good on your engine. They already knew they lost the battle with you! Glad you came out on top. Had it not been documented the engine was sludge prone, it could have ended differently.

Toyota is also one of the more reputable auto makers.

AD

They've long since resolved that issue and they haven't had "sludgers" since 2003...

This is going to cause a lot of problems IF its followed verbatim. Guy buys a Camry as a economic DD, then goes for an oil change, expecting to pay the $20-40 you would usually. Gets a bill for $60-80 for synthetic oil, and flips out "I'm not driving a BMW, I want your cheapie oil change!"

OR, goes to a WM to get an oil change, and in Canada, at least, will just be turned away. Canadian WM's just don't stock 0W-20 oils, and they won't deviate from what the manual/cap requires, period.

I see a lot of angry letters coming Toyota's way...

BTW, Tropic, PP 0W-20 DOES exist. I can't get a picture, but I have personally seen it in a store (only one, LOL). Silly that Pennzoil doesn't make it more available.....

It's funny to see people knowlegeable about oil for decades, now see a push to 0w20 and it's like they never expected it.

Did you never see this coming? Were these same questions raised when 5w-30 came out? I mean, some company had to be the first to list it in their manuals. When multi-vis oils came out? When 5w-20's came out?

You don't need a crystal ball to see that cheaper 0w-20's will come out over the next few years, some not synthetic. And as demand increases more oil companies will supply product. You don't need to speculate here, history has shown that new/greater demand will [eventually] result in increased supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back