New Toyota 2.5L Engine Requires 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Engine oil selection

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil

• 2.5 L 4-cylinder (2AR-FE) engine

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Beginning with the 2010MY, the Toyota Camry is now equipped with an all-new 2.5L four-cylinder engine. This engine replaces the aging 2.4L.

Unfortunately, the new 2.5L engine (2AR-FE) requires the usage of 0w-20 synthetic oil. It also uses a cartridge oil filter. Yet, the service intervals are still set at 5000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

So, "everyday Joes" will now be forced to pay a significant premium for their oil changes. On average, five quarts of Amsoil 0w-20 and a Toyota cartridge filter will cost about $45. If you pay someone else perform the oil changes, add on an additional $25 for labor. Now, you're looking at ~$70 per oil change, several times a year as opposed to the normal ~$40 for a conventional oil change.

For a mainstream car that is known for its appeal to cost-conscious individuals, do you folks feel that a synthetic oil requirement goes against the Toyota philosophy of low cost of ownership? Do you folks feel that it is unreasonable for an inexpensive car to require synthetic oil? Or is it something that we should learn to accept, as advances in engine technology and fuel economy will require increased maintenance costs.

Because I for one, would not be too pleased if a relatively inexpensive, mainstream car require such "premium treatment." And I'm sure that many of my friends would feel the same way.

Thoughts?

Quote:
For a mainstream car that is known for its appeal to cost-conscious individuals, do you folks feel that a synthetic oil requirement goes against the Toyota philosophy of low cost of ownership?

No. It goes against the impression of low cost ownership. Maturity often finds you pondering your life philosophy at a certain point.

Quote:
Do you folks feel that it is unreasonable for an inexpensive car to require synthetic oil? Or is it something that we should learn to accept, as advances in engine technology and fuel economy will require increased maintenance costs.

Accept it or not. It's what they state as required for the engine. One could always say that the use of 5w-20 was specifically allowed.

One would be wise to assure (as in verify) that your dealer oil change does indeed contain 0w-20. I can see this as more of Honda-esque or Ford-like "Hammer them on the parts counter" technique for dealer value of the franchise.

Many Honda engines can use dino with 10k miles OCI. Synthetic with 5k miles OCI is a total waste of money, Toyota can do better than this non-sense.

Just like some clueless VW owners, most will just go to wally world and have 5W-30 put in.

That info is from the O.M, and who reads that....

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just like some clueless VW owners, most will just go to wally world and have 5W-30 put in.

That info is from the O.M, and who reads that....

For VW, the problem was that when you looked up the vehicle on Mitchell or Alldata, it would say use 5w-30, 5w-40, etc, with no mention of VW 502.00. So of course, shops would install conventional oil and assume that they were doing the right thing.

But for Toyota, it will probably show up as 0w-20, 5w-20 in the look-up. And since 5w-20 is the more familiar viscosity, that is what shops will probably install.
frown.gif

This will be interesting. Your average consumer isn't going to pay for synthetic oil changes. They'll get whatever is in the bulk tank at quickie lube.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Sludger engine??????

Quite possible. Or they are trying to avoid it by insisting on an oil grade that is only available in a synthetic. Then for some additional insurance requiring it be changed at Dino intervals.

I would think that the 'new' Toyota 2.5 would do just fine on 5W20 (syn or dino) changed every 5K. That's probably what dealers will put in them anyway.
Of course if you are near the artic circle then 0W20 may be necessary.

just use a conventional 5w20 like YB, which is a very fine group 2+
this is a dealer trick to extract profits.
subaru does a similar trick with its required maintenance checks.
i take my cars to my own mechanic, and save my money
which is the reason for the term "stealership"

Originally Posted By: stranger706
This will be interesting. Your average consumer isn't going to pay for synthetic oil changes. They'll get whatever is in the bulk tank at quickie lube.

+1

I guarantee you that most customers who bring their car to the dealership for an oil change won't even read the work order let alone know what grade oil is in their car. I bet most dealerships will put in 5w20 or 5w30 because they don't want to hike up the prices especially in this economy.

Do you really think that Toyota is going to do a UOA on any vehicle to find the viscosity in the engine should there be a warranty issue? Run any 0W20 or 5W20 without worry.

Quote:
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

What exactly, in that statement states or implies that the engine will be damaged by using a different oil?

Many of you have been around here long enough to be able to read "owner's manual".

Let me translate: We used 0W-20 to establish the CAFE figures for this engine. We are required by EPA regulation to brainwash you into using nothing but the oil we used for this testing.

Ed

I think you'll start to see more 0w20's with GF-5. A 0w20 can be made with Grp III. Most GF5 oils are going to be GrpIII/Pao blends. I suppose most will end up receiving 5w20 until 0w20's are more common. I don't like Toyota's language pushing 0w20. It does not matter.

Mobil released the first 0w20 oil back in 2001. 9 years later Toyota is now calling for it.

It's really interesting that they OM states 0W20 which is the more costly oil. 5W20 should be fine. When my father got his new Jeep he called Chrysler asking about using a 0W20 oil, and was told use only 5W20. This was Chrysler corporate not the dealership. I find it odd when someone wants to use a more expensive synthetic, over a 5W20 dino blend they told him no.

I think the vast majority of the public, and a large group of so called professionals are clueless.

AD

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

this is a dealer trick to extract profits.

Requirement is made from the factory, not the dealer.

...but it may be a factory requirement FOR the dealer. Just like ATF and other fluids were for Honda (heck, add to the list). While synthetic 5w-20 is widely available. 0w-20 is in limited availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back