New tool thread

Well done! Everybody needs at least 1 SO ratchet. Full disclosure, I inherited most of these.
Question: Can anyone suggest the best way to get the older ones rebuilt? The 3rd from the top slips under higher load... TIA!
View attachment 83732
I already responded once but here's my hot off the presses update: as I type this it's ~10p MST on a Sunday evening. I had sent SnapOn an email Friday morning about a damaged puller "plug" (ie head).

Their bot at least confirmed receipt of my email nearly immediately and it said I'd have a response within 2 hours (yes, hours, not days). Well Friday came and went and I wasn't too worried.....'cause ya know...'Rona and science and stuff somehow means no one needs to work or meet obligations these days....

So, come Sunday evening at 6:25p MST Snappy responds and my replacement part is in the mail.

It should be noted I took the time in my initial email to provide my shipping address because based upon previous experience I figured they would ship it out, no further questions asked. They did. This is a big part of what you pay for with SnapOn

Lets see if these hold up as long as my old ones. Really liked the old clear, plastic handles, but Sears of the 1970s is gone.

ScrewDrivers.jpg

The old Taiwanese Duralast stuff arguably or nearly rivaled Carlyle today. But you'd find a gem, go back a couple years later and poof! it was gone, replaced by something MIC with less metal, less weight and fewer features. Too bad but 'tis the times...
Who makes Carlyle? My mechanics wrench with Carlyle tools all day and say it’s excellent.

Who makes Carlyle? My mechanics wrench with Carlyle tools all day and say it’s excellent.
I've never chased it down exactly. Some of it's Kabo. AFAIK it's all Taiwan but there might be some Chinese stuff, not sure.

The biggest problem with Carlyle is that they've decided to use the HF Icon model: price it stupid-high for what it is and people will think it's gotta be the best.

It's unfortunate because they could really take a substantial bite of the pro/semi-pro tool market (given that they're distributed through NAPA) but between prices that rival tool trucks and poor marketing/retail practices (most NAPA stores don't seem excited about Carlyle and/or stock very little) it's almost like they're trying not to sell tools.

Real Deals used to have decent quarterly sales on select Carlyle stuff, but even that has mostly dried up --- and it dried up before C19 so that's not an excuse.

I've never chased it down exactly. Some of it's Kabo. AFAIK it's all Taiwan but there might be some Chinese stuff, not sure.

The biggest problem with Carlyle is that they've decided to use the HF Icon model: price it stupid-high for what it is and people will think it's gotta be the best.

It's unfortunate because they could really take a substantial bite of the pro/semi-pro tool market (given that they're distributed through NAPA) but between prices that rival tool trucks and poor marketing/retail practices (most NAPA stores don't seem excited about Carlyle and/or stock very little) it's almost like they're trying not to sell tools.

Real Deals used to have decent quarterly sales on select Carlyle stuff, but even that has mostly dried up --- and it dried up before C19 so that's not an excuse.
With my AAA discount a Carlyle 21mm 6 pt socket is $4.65. Seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: D60
Still around in acetate handle.

F579FC32-C88E-4545-A08D-5A904C93BAAB.jpeg
B4D1BA22-A35C-49EA-90B1-60502575F52C.jpeg
CC315A13-939A-41FF-AA58-5911C4C566D4.jpeg
DD329252-03D1-4A52-86C6-41989FB3BB52.jpeg
3D3DFF02-ADA7-458B-9087-D9B9715A4E32.jpeg
CFDCA54F-2293-4441-8F7F-344EA1473C06.jpeg

New tools today. Snap-on Tuesday my favorite time of the week haha. 36 inch pry bar he finally was able to get more of those. He had a red, green or black so I chose the red. Then some orange cutters. A pocket screwdriver his last one and it’s bent a little lol but oh well. And the a interchangeable Phillips and flat head screwdriver I’m sure that will be handy. Then some more vise grip style pliers 10 inch ones last time I got the 7. And then a long Phillips head to go with my long flat head. Also got my bosses two sets of vise grips warrantied too they were Blue Point and had to be ordered. He didn’t do the because he had never bought anything from Snap-on since his last shop and dealer lol. Oh and thanks to my coworker for letting me use the top of his box as place to take my pictures haha. Everyone told me that little Philips head is worth having around so since he had one I went ahead and got it. I was going to get some half sized sockets or at least check the price but they don’t sell them apparently because he couldn’t find them anywhere in his catalog so I’ll have to order those from somewhere else.

New tools today. Snap-on Tuesday my favorite time of the week haha. 36 inch pry bar he finally was able to get more of those. He had a red, green or black so I chose the red. Then some orange cutters. A pocket screwdriver his last one and it’s bent a little lol but oh well. And the a interchangeable Phillips and flat head screwdriver I’m sure that will be handy. Then some more vise grip style pliers 10 inch ones last time I got the 7. And then a long Phillips head to go with my long flat head. Also got my bosses two sets of vise grips warrantied too they were Blue Point and had to be ordered. He didn’t do the because he had never bought anything from Snap-on since his last shop and dealer lol. Oh and thanks to my coworker for letting me use the top of his box as place to take my pictures haha. Everyone told me that little Philips head is worth having around so since he had one I went ahead and got it. I was going to get some half sized sockets or at least check the price but they don’t sell them apparently because he couldn’t find them anywhere in his catalog so I’ll have to order those from somewhere else.
Snap-on list price is $84 for the 10” eagle grip locking pliers, which is double what the exact pliers sell for with Malco branding. They are excellent locking pliers.

I hope he gave you a good deal on them. I understand convenience and helping the snappy man make his truck payments, but don’t light money on fire just because you can.

Snap-on list price is $84 for the 10” eagle grip locking pliers, which is double what the exact pliers sell for with Malco branding. They are excellent locking pliers.

I hope he gave you a good deal on them. I understand convenience and helping the snappy man make his truck payments, but don’t light money on fire just because you can.
Dang - and I’m feeling frisky when I grab one from the box and it’s a real Vise Grip 😳

I have to start asking prices. 😳. I was glad to see he finally had the 10 inch ones. The 7 inch were $75 last time so I figured these would be a lot more but I’m glad it was only $9 more. I might buy some more from Malco especially if they have the needle nose style which I need as my original China vise grips are smashing the teeth in on for the needle nose ones.

I have to start asking prices. 😳. I was glad to see he finally had the 10 inch ones. The 7 inch were $75 last time so I figured these would be a lot more but I’m glad it was only $9 more. I might buy some more from Malco especially if they have the needle nose style which I need as my original China vise grips are smashing the teeth in on for the needle nose ones.
So far, only the 7" and 9" are available with straight and curved jaws. I wish they would come out with long nose as well. I suspect they will once things get back to normal.

I bought a pair of Milwaukee branded long-nose locking pliers from Ace a few months ago. They have been ok. I hear the Bremen from HF are decent as well, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

The last few sets from Irwin, whether USA or China made, have been garbage. They have their place, if you need an expendable clamp, but they fail at that sometimes.

So far, only the 7" and 9" are available with straight and curved jaws. I wish they would come out with long nose as well. I suspect they will once things get back to normal.

I bought a pair of Milwaukee branded long-nose locking pliers from Ace a few months ago. They have been ok. I hear the Bremen from HF are decent as well, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

The last few sets from Irwin, whether USA or China made, have been garbage. They have their place, if you need an expendable clamp, but they fail at that sometimes.
I second the claim that Irwin are garbage! And that Bremen are decent, especially for the price.

One thing about buying good tools, it isn't like throwing away thousands of dollars on gas driving fuel inefficient vehicles and racing down the roads with them. I had relatives who always complained about gas prices driving huge suv like Sequoia at 80+ with no regard for economical driving. They complained but failed to do the one thing they themselves could do. At least with good tools you have something still tangible. I guess the saying is pound foolish and penny wise.

I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee 11" locking C-clamp pliers with both swivel and fixed jaws for general fab work. I don't tend to use a lot of "regular pliers" type locking pliers so I can't speak to them much....most of my clamps are for jigging up or holding weldments

I have to start asking prices. 😳.
Dude the Snap On guy is not your friend. Buying stuff when you don't even know what it costs is a bad habit. I get it your tools support your livelihood and there's a certain convenience factor to the arrangement but you should seriously rethink how you go about this. Paying double for literally the same thing you can get from Amazon or buying a top of the line "nice to have" tool is costing you a ton. More trips to the pawn shop and Ace my friend :)

Just some advice from an older guy.

jeff

Back