New tool thread

Is that a tub full of 19/32nd sockets?
Haha. There is a 9mm a 12mm and 15mm in there. And pretty much every SAE size. I’ll probably never use them because most is wartime stuff. It will go with the collection instead of the daily use tools. I use SAE all the time on dads truck and on old stuff that comes into the shop.

Got some Ernst socket rails. Blue for metric, red for standard and black for Torx and various items. 1/4" and 3/8" mid length are all Snap-On, most of the rest of the stuff is Tekton and old Craftsman. I made due the the mid length for just about everything but was tired of not having a little more flexibility. The rails aren't cheap but I really like the flexibility to make the fit where you want and aren't stuck to a row of sizes you may or may not have. It's rare that something I touch isn't metric.
IMG_0772 by MStarmer, on Flickr

4A79D215-5F99-431C-8F60-0B84A8BACF37.jpeg

5ED23F4B-EB10-41EE-B39B-A105E2FB99F2.jpeg

FB336 and 915CP

Got a good deal on these lightly used, 1/2 and 1/4”. I love 1/4” drive but never had a flex head ratchet. I don’t know how much I care about the grips. I think personally I prefer bare metal grips, but I’ll see if these grow on me.

46BB8AD6-0308-4A5F-B1A4-67014DA7C0A4.jpeg

6BA33AED-B997-4433-92EB-2466C8F1ECE3.jpeg
40D3AF19-9A8F-4321-A6FD-E1781ABDB343.jpeg

Warranty replacement Craftsman 1/4 drive 1/2 socket. Very impressed with the warranty experiences I’ve had with them. Don’t even have to turn the old one in and I have a working tool again. This is Taiwan made. I have several more that I need to get warrantied that I broke but I don’t want to look like someone who takes advantage of warranty so I’ve been slowly getting each one replaced since I have extras of everything that’s broke. Lowe’s or Ace in my area won’t warranty if so I have to go thru Craftsman directly. I know it’s not USA but I’ve actually been using some of my other warranty replacement Taiwan sockets and they aren’t bad really. They hold up very well just like your middle of the road brands like Tekton and Sunex and Capri. And yes it was no questions asked except a good phone number and my address to put on the order ticket. No questions about how it broke at all. It managed to crack on three of six corners.

Got a good deal on these lightly used, 1/2 and 1/4”. I love 1/4” drive but never had a flex head ratchet. I don’t know how much I care about the grips. I think personally I prefer bare metal grips, but I’ll see if these grow on me.

I don't like the soft grips either & constant exposure to ATF messes with the rubber. You can buy hard plastic handles if you want.

Over the last several months I bought 3 inexpensive 1/4" drive ratchets, all made in Taiwan. Was looking for an update over my old pair of 20-tooth Snap-on ratchets.

The 4.5" long Blackhawk-Proto was the most expensive ratchet, at $26. Has a tiny 72-tooth head, but high backdrag. The ratchet uses an unconventional retention clip on the head that has me wondering how it is released. I saw the same type of retention method in a photo of a Carlyle ratchet. A quick google search did not turn up any rebuild kits for it.

The Husky has a 144-tooth head and low backdrag. No rebuild kits for it, just return to Home Depot for a new one with no questions asked and no receipt required.

The $19 Capri has a 72-tooth flex head with high backdrag. The head is attached to the handle with a torx screw-pin instead of a plain pin. Rebuild kits are readily available.

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

Over the last several months I bought 3 inexpensive 1/4" drive ratchets, all made in Taiwan. Was looking for an update over my old pair of 20-tooth Snap-on ratchets.

The 4.5" long Blackhawk-Proto was the most expensive ratchet, at $26. Has a tiny 72-tooth head, but high backdrag. The ratchet uses an unconventional retention clip on the head that has me wondering how it is released. I saw the same type of retention method in a photo of a Carlyle ratchet. A quick google search did not turn up any rebuild kits for it.

The Husky has a 144-tooth head and low backdrag. No rebuild kits for it, just return to Home Depot for a new one with no questions asked and no receipt required.

The $19 Capri has a 72-tooth flex head with high backdrag. The head is attached to the handle with a torx screw-pin instead of a plain pin. Rebuild kits are readily available.

View attachment 57037
View attachment 57038
I think you will like the Capri one. My go to ratchet these days is Capri mine is just so smooth I love it. I plan to buy more soon.

View attachment 57037
View attachment 57038
I have the same Blackhawk ratchets in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 .

The head is small and being 72 tooth they work great in tight spots.

I love them.

I think you will like the Capri one. My go to ratchet these days is Capri mine is just so smooth I love it. I plan to buy more soon.
Capri gives a credit so on the next purchase the credit is deducted. I think in general they are a cut above some others in the class. The wrenches, some of them have open end anti slip features and so on. Everything is free shipping on their website and it seems to have the best prices on their brand.

Capri gives a credit so on the next purchase the credit is deducted. I think in general they are a cut above some others in the class. The wrenches, some of them have open end anti slip features and so on. Everything is free shipping on their website and it seems to have the best prices on their brand.
I agree. Yes I got points from the order which I plan to use soon. They really are great tools. I haven’t used the wrenches yet.

Back