New tool thread

That D45 looks to be in good shape, heck of a good vise. Is it original or restored?
It looks to be in original condition other than the paint, which was done by the PO.
I got it at a local auction about 5 years ago, it came with a pipe wrench and an adjustable wrench.
20210416_085057.jpg

I ordered these from Tekton, US made. I've encountered a few times where they'd come in handy. I had some rewards points from them and decided to order the set. They should be here tomorrow. Angle Head Open End Wrench Sets, Metric.

View attachment 44088
I have found the angle wrenches are life savers when working on Hydraulics. My boss gave me a stack of warranty papers for a safety device installed in the hydraulic control valves. The Manufacture paid 3 hours plus travel time. I had 2 days worth of work in my hands . The boss as usual said don't come back or call in until the work is done, It must have been important. I figured out how to install the device in the valve in a half an hour because I had the angle wrenches. That day I made money for the company.

Last edited:
I talked a bit about the vise on another forum, if you’re interested. Some before/after photos.

F3F13D9D-9CD4-4658-A03E-68A68AEB0373.jpeg
C03E94CF-F853-496C-A442-A0D26CF5616F.jpeg

Found these on sale at Rural King. The two sockets were .61 cents each and the hex bit was .71 cents. Did I need them? Nope 👎 but for that price I’m not passing them up it’s all they had left of the Dewalt hand tools. I use 1/4 in regular socket and hex bit all the time.

Their new line of Crimson looks to be a close resemblance of Gearwrench most of it is Taiwan and the combination wrenches are China. I haven’t tried it yet I might go pick up some on my next visit there.

Reactions: JC1
Have you had good experiences with Dewalt sockets? A reviewer on Amazon claimed he had three 1/2" drive deep sockets break in one day. And a person at garagejournal.com says the newer ones have a strange design for the "detent wells".

Have you had good experiences with Dewalt sockets? A reviewer on Amazon claimed he had three 1/2" drive deep sockets break in one day. And a person at garagejournal.com says the newer ones have a strange design for the "detent wells".
Personally I have. Made in Taiwan pretty decent and were affordable too. If you get the deeps in 3/8 they are closer to semi deep though vs most brands deep sockets but the 1/4 and 1/2 deep sockets appear to be normal length. I’ve only got these in the picture and a few more I don’t have a set or anything I just bought some as fill ins and have used them and they have been fine. As for the detents they are normal single detent at least the ones I have are. Are you thinking of buying some? I haven’t broken any using them correctly. Sorry about the bad picture I tried to post a picture of the detents to help you see what they were.
983FC9A6-495D-4FAB-891B-783787231716.jpeg

My new tool arrived yesterday. A 7/8" Tekton ratcheting wrench specifically for use with the oil filter socket on my Rav4. There isn't much room around the oil filter and this will make it easier to remove and tighten the oil filter.

I was looking at an inexpensive $25 set of 10 or 11 SAE deep sockets in 1/2"drive for infrequent use, versus a $40 Tekton set.

Dewalt at Amazon
Those would do good. Tekton is nice but if you aren’t using them that much than Dewalt should do you good. No issues to report from me and I’m using some of them everyday or just about everyday. Since they are 1/2 they should be the regular length too.

After a few years of saving I went for it.... New "Tool" :) 2021 John Deere 2038R with loader and 270B Backhoe.

I wasn't going to get the backhoe but then I starting thinking and well...I don't think anybody has ever said "you know what was a dumb idea, buying that backhoe"...ever...So I just went for it. 4.4 engine hours in and I'g glad I did...plus my L5 is thanking me! haha

1618971244416.jpg

The backhoe comes in about 2min...

1618971298288.jpg

First Tekton ratchet, 3/8, $19.02 plus tax thru WM. I know HF sells them too, but needed to get free shipping on some household items fast, so added this. Very pleased with first look at it, looks robust and well made. Taiwan.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don’t know how the handle will stand up, but will see.

Back