New tool thread

View attachment 144446View attachment 144447View attachment 144448
A new to me tool lol. Straight from my favorite place to shop. eBay. I am replacing the brake pads and rotors on my Escape today or tomorrow and I wanted a 6 point 18mm 1/2 socket to break the caliper bracket bolts loose. I only have 12 points at home for 1/2 stuff mostly. I couldn’t find a 6 point at home, the pawn shop, the auto parts store or anywhere besides the tool truck and Northern Tool but the one at Northern Tool didn’t look very well made and seemed thin like it would crack so I decided to get this one from eBay. I found one in a set at Walmart but I’d rather have this one single socket than buy a whole set of them not knowing quality. One of my favorite brand of tools Craftsman USA 🇺🇸. Hard to believe I don’t have some socket’s already as I own over 2,000 no joke lol 😂. I guess no one really cares if they have 12 point or 6 point but I’ve always had better luck with 6 point at least on smaller stuff. Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn’t look like it’s ever been used just sat in someone’s box. The inside looks new. Very happy with my purchase. Wish Craftsman USA was still available I’d own all of it lol.
Not that I have looked hard for them, but I don’t recall seeing 1/2” drive 6 point sockets in the USA Craftsman days. They were usually 12 point. Interesting find.

Not that I have looked hard for them, but I don’t recall seeing 1/2” drive 6 point sockets in the USA Craftsman days. They were usually 12 point. Interesting find.
I don’t see many of them. This guy had a bunch of sizes listed. Probably not something that sold often as most of the big kits had 12 points. Probably were only in small sets or individual would be my guess.

........ I wanted a 6 point 18mm 1/2 socket to break the caliper bracket bolts loose. Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn’t look like it’s ever been used just sat in someone’s box. The inside looks new. Very happy with my purchase.
Does the socket have corrosion on the outside? I have noticed that some of my rarely used sizes of Craftsman combination wrenches can get lightly corroded sitting in the tool box. The older ones I bought 30-40 years ago stay corrosion free, but the larger made-in-USA metric sizes I bought about 10 years ago, just before the local Sears store shut down, are prone to light corrosion.

Does the socket have corrosion on the outside? I have noticed that some of my rarely used sizes of Craftsman combination wrenches can get lightly corroded sitting in the tool box. The older ones I bought 30-40 years ago stay corrosion free, but the larger made-in-USA metric sizes I bought about 10 years ago, just before the local Sears store shut down, are prone to light corrosion.
It appears that’s what it is. That or where it rolled around in someone’s box for years. Quite a few of mine are like that too but I bought all mine second hand so I’m not sure exactly if it’s corrosion or just where it’s been stored for so long.

Gotta speculate - 20/23/25 must be for HD equipment?
They're just to fill empty pegs in my HF plastic organizers. Duh :D

The odds of actually using these sizes is very low, but I am a fan of no-skip sets for those just-in-case scenarios. With something like SnapOn it's arguably a waste of good $, but with Tekton it's quite affordable to fill the gaps.

They're just to fill empty pegs in my HF plastic organizers. Duh :D

The odds of actually using these sizes is very low, but I am a fan of no-skip sets for those just-in-case scenarios. With something like SnapOn it's arguably a waste of good $, but with Tekton it's quite affordable to fill the gaps.
You need a 23mm on Mazda lol. That’s the only spot I ever use mine. I’ve used all those sizes but 23mm is probably the one I’ve used the most haha. It fits the rear differential plug in my truck.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
You need a 23mm on Mazda lol. That’s the only spot I ever use mine. I’ve used all those sizes but 23mm is probably the one I’ve used the most haha. It fits the rear differential plug in my truck.
You're right, that might be what I used for the rear diff of a CX-9 and it's a semi-common plug because it fits Miatas, too

I already have the "old" Motiv Toyota oil filter tool but I figured I better get the new version, too :D
20230311_213014.jpg

598E2720-7CD1-47AB-9062-E1BF14369C42.jpeg
AC930AAE-E957-4FF1-9ECA-1802686556E4.jpeg
2E3607D0-7B44-4637-8DB6-220A1C579B24.jpeg
15705D74-0D4B-4563-B90D-C5B1746A9DE8.jpeg
86722562-C1DB-4BCB-B749-FD60C41FEE18.jpeg

Nice little haul today. All waiting on me when I got home. First up it’s a SP Tools 13500 pulley holding tool for Toyota. Bought this to hold the pulley on the Camry so the bolts don’t come loose again. Then a set of Capri metric low profile impact sockets 1/2 drive. I got these because they are handy but also because I feel the stubby 19 will help with the belt tensioner and give me more access to work with when putting the belt on as it was a pain last time. The 18mm wrench I got just to have as I don’t have many 18mm anything lol. And the Escape will need some suspension work soon so I will need that and I always like to have an extra and I only found one at the house that I had except a ratchet wrench so I picked up an extra one to have plus I’ve wanted to try Capri wrenches. Then a 8 triple square for when I work on the Beetle this summer hopefully. Hopefully it will be up and running by then. You need the 8 triple square to take the CV axles off. And mine need to be at minimum rebooted but I’m probably going to replace them.

Next specialty tool I’m purchasing will be a ball joint press. I mainly need it for my Escape but will do good for work too. If anyone has any brand recommendations for that let me know. Not sure what to look for.

Last edited:
View attachment 144988View attachment 144989View attachment 144990View attachment 144991View attachment 144992
Nice little haul today. All waiting on me when I got home. First up it’s a SP Tools 13500 pulley holding tool for Toyota. Bought this to hold the pulley on the Camry so the bolts don’t come loose again. Then a set of Capri metric low profile impact sockets 1/2 drive. I got these because they are handy but also because I feel the stubby 19 will help with the belt tensioner and give me more access to work with when putting the belt on as it was a pain last time. The 18mm wrench I got just to have as I don’t have many 18mm anything lol. And the Escape will need some suspension work soon so I will need that and I always like to have an extra and I only found one at the house that I had except a ratchet wrench so I picked up an extra one to have plus I’ve wanted to try Capri wrenches. Then a 8 triple square for when I work on the Beetle this summer hopefully. Hopefully it will be up and running by then. You need the 8 triple square to take the CV axles off. And mine need to be at minimum rebooted but I’m probably going to replace them.

Next specialty tool I’m purchasing will be a ball joint press. I mainly need it for my Escape but will do good for work too. If anyone has any brand recommendations for that let me know. Not sure what to look for.
I have an OTC ball joint kit. It does what it's supposed to and seems good quality. It was a little on the expensive side for me but I didn't want to go to cheap.

81j0gvaI4PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back