New tool thread

View attachment 140085
Snap-On 207IPSFM 3/8” semi-deep impact swivels. Thank you @clinebarger for making me aware of these.

Paid $235 off eBay. They are supposedly new but the internals of the 15MM was coated with some brown gunk (consistency similar to mud) that was somewhat easily wiped off. Strange. I wonder if it was excess shipping oil?

I also sprayed the swivel joints with Super Lube. But did not notice any improvement.
Not have a good eBay week - upon further inspection, the seller actually sent me a set of the 207IPLFM swivels, which are the deep, not semi-deep.

He had the incorrect part # in the listing and I did not catch it.

Let’s hope he accepts a return.

Not have a good eBay week - upon further inspection, the seller actually sent me a set of the 207IPLFM swivels, which are the deep, not semi-deep.

He had the incorrect part # in the listing and I did not catch it.

Let’s hope he accepts a return.
I've had that happen with people who don't understand the difference between Torx and Torx Plus

I'm sure you'll get your $ back. If he ignores your request file a SNAD, ebay will essentially force a return and force a refund X days after tracking shows something was delivered to him

Park chain tool and master link pliers
20230301_190507.jpg

You're allowed to change the license plates on a registered vehicle in Virginia every year?
Sorry for the late response. Yes you can. You can change them up to three times a registration period. They used to not limit it but had people (plate collectors like me lol) that would try and change them every few weeks or every month and so they had to limit it. There was a whole article about it in the paper one year. I typically do my registration for two or three years as three is the maximum but in that time period I can only change the plates three times. I plan on doing a run on my truck of all the plates the message will fit on. I think when fall gets closer I’m going to change to the leaves or something like that then switch it again at renewal time. I’ve already switched them and the ones on my Escape once so two times left for each.

How much extra does that cost taxpayers vs. issue plates and that's it? Here in Texas they replace them every 7-8 years I think it is. Otherwise it is what it is. Seems like that would save a lot of money.

Was trolling a HF and this "screwdriver" bit set is being cleared out at $20.

Not surprising - I'd bet it was a slow seller.

I figure if it helps me remove the stupid rotor retention screws on just one vehicle the PH4 was worth it.

Beyond that, I dunno who's using PH2 or straight blades in 1/2" sq drive, but I'm guessing they were aiming for the hammer-driven hand impacts
20230305_000231.jpg

I've been hemming and hawing over socket organization, just for my 1/2" drive sockets. I was storing them lying down on their factory blow-molded cases but that chews up so much real estate.

I looked at various systems like Westling, Capri etc etc but just couldn't get excited about any of them.

I finally just decided to go the path of least resistance and get the plastic pegs from HF.

I've used the Hanson version for my 3/8" for years and I like the simplicity, but I also REALLY like the size markings on each peg. I know this might make me a hack mechanic, but whatever. The downside is that you're locked into however the plastic is made - there's zero customization available -- thus sockets from 28mm to 36mm with no home at the moment. I may work on that, or not.

Still, I think this will get me by for another 10 years until I decide to slash and burn and start anew. I don't suffer from @The Critic level of OCD (which isn't necessarily good or bad, it "just is")
20230306_093108.jpg

I've used the Hanson version for my 3/8" for years and I like the simplicity, but I also REALLY like the size markings on each peg. I know this might make me a hack mechanic, but whatever. The downside is that you're locked into however the plastic is made - there's zero customization available -- thus sockets from 28mm to 36mm with no home at the moment. I may work on that, or not.

Still, I think this will get me by for another 10 years until I decide to slash and burn and start anew. I don't suffer from @The Critic level of OCD (which isn't necessarily good or bad, it "just is")
I actually just ordered the Westling USA socket organizers. Some of mine will have stamping for the size, others will not; this is due to some of my sets (within the same drive size) having different coverage. Seeing those empty slots (with numbers) will really cause my OCD to go bonkers. ;)

I actually just ordered the Westling USA socket organizers. Some of mine will have stamping for the size, others will not; this is due to some of my sets (within the same drive size) having different coverage. Seeing those empty slots (with numbers) will really cause my OCD to go bonkers. ;)
Honestly for my sockets 28 to 36 I really think I'm just going to engrave the drive end with the size and leave them on no pegs or anything.

I don't mind seeing my blocky, somewhat crude "handwriting" provided it's legible and serves the purpose.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution for anyone else, just typing to hear my own voice....

I've been hemming and hawing over socket organization, just for my 1/2" drive sockets. I was storing them lying down on their factory blow-molded cases but that chews up so much real estate.

I looked at various systems like Westling, Capri etc etc but just couldn't get excited about any of them.

I finally just decided to go the path of least resistance and get the plastic pegs from HF.

Still, I think this will get me by for another 10 years until I decide to slash and burn and start anew. I don't suffer from @The Critic level of OCD (which isn't necessarily good or bad, it "just is")View attachment 143568
I like them too. However...

I have a full set of Hanson SAE and metric racks (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive). They're still in the box. Because of their height, they will only fit into the deep drawers which are at the bottom of my roll-away. Not a location for things that I use all the time.

There has been a lot of discussion about ratcheting screwdrivers over the years - both on her and on GJ. I have yet to own one, and have never felt the need to have one. What am I missing out on?
This is my first ratcheting screwdriver. I think the main benefit is speed. This Klein also includes a ECX "combination bit", in two sizes, for screws used on electrical devices. I didn't even know of ECX bits until a few weeks ago.

A VIM "close quarters" micro bit ratchet, only 3.5" long. The ratchet mechanism feels like it is dry, and back drag is higher than I like on a tiny tool like this one. The ratcheting head is 9.6mm thick.

DSC01485.JPG

Compared to a Sunex bit ratchet:
DSC01481.JPG

Last edited:
Back