New tool thread

More random gap filling: Tekton 3/8 dr deep impact sockets in 6mm, 1/4" and 20mm

Also this extra long DBE wrench set was on clearance at O'Reilly for $20. I know a lot of BITOGers don't understand fractional tools but I still use them a lot. Plus I figured I should buy something after pouring waste oil and dropping off two dozen old filters :)View attachment 145586
I’ve got those DBE wrenches from O’Reilly in metric. Really good. Use mine about everyday. Want to get the sizes they skip but not sure where I’ll get those yet. I actually just left O’Reilly lol. I use SAE on my old stuff lol.

DDA9E730-ED24-471C-8DEB-D80138E903C6.jpeg
59957601-BE31-47EC-80C6-146EB6624CCD.jpeg

Just left O’Reilly. I don’t really like shopping there but they are the only place that has these stubby 1/4 sockets for a good price. Plus my friend working there and my moms military discount gives me a good price. I bought me this second set of stubby metric 1/4 sockets to tighten down the pulley on the 2004 Camry. I have the same set at work. Use them everyday pretty much on something. Also got a long funnel for my sisters Honda Odyssey. Those things are a pain to put oil in because the oil filler is way down low compared to the top of the engine. Another reason I hate working on Honda lol. Metal funnels are generally easier to clean than plastic from my experience.

I’ve got those DBE wrenches from O’Reilly in metric. Really good. Use mine about everyday. Want to get the sizes they skip but not sure where I’ll get those yet. I actually just left O’Reilly lol. I use SAE on my old stuff lol.
Yeah I noticed they still sell the metrics. Googling the fractionals returns a result at O'Reilly's website but clicking it returns a 404 so they've effectively removed them from their site.

Yeah I noticed they still sell the metrics. Googling the fractionals returns a result at O'Reilly's website but clicking it returns a 404 so they've effectively removed them from their site.
They had one of the SAE sets in the clearance bin. I think it had like $22 on it. Tempted to get them. Good for the money.

View attachment 145595View attachment 145597
Just left O’Reilly. I don’t really like shopping there but they are the only place that has these stubby 1/4 sockets for a good price. Plus my friend working there and my moms military discount gives me a good price. I bought me this second set of stubby metric 1/4 sockets to tighten down the pulley on the 2004 Camry. I have the same set at work. Use them everyday pretty much on something. Also got a long funnel for my sisters Honda Odyssey. Those things are a pain to put oil in because the oil filler is way down low compared to the top of the engine. Another reason I hate working on Honda lol. Metal funnels are generally easier to clean than plastic from my experience.
I got broke in good on early Honda's and Acura's with the filters mid way up on the back of the engine.... This is why I am old now...

These have my interest. What do you use it for?
The belt file? I've been a metalworker since ~2005 and didn't need one until a month ago.

I got a big job cutting square holes in electrical cabinets. The boxes can't realistically be loaded on a table or in a waterjet so I just lay it out by hand with a custom jig and cut with my 3" cutoff wheel.

The cut edges have sharp burs and the belt file is the best way to sand right into a right angle corner (unlike a round wheel on a grinder).

For the first batch I just ordered an inexpensive Wen and for ~$30 it works well enough. But I hate cords SO MUCH I'll pay $250 for the Milwaukee (I actually paid $220)

View attachment 145595View attachment 145597
Hey! Don't hate on the Ody! :)

The oil fill location is a little less than desirable but that job justifies a tool purchase. The OEM Tools Honda funnel (or comparable) makes the job easy.

Hey! Don't hate on the Ody! :)

The oil fill location is a little less than desirable but that job justifies a tool purchase. The OEM Tools Honda funnel (or comparable) makes the job easy.
The funnel I got today was good but slow going down. I’ll definitely have to get that one. I almost dropped the oil cap taking it off that would have been fun to fish for haha.

Mitutoyo Micrometers, Dial Caliper & Digital Caliper, Bought from a local Mitutoyo dealer that's been liquidating his inventory because slow business & a ongoing ugly divorce. These are the last 3 items he had, Said nobody wants to buy quality measuring tools anymore & after losing his contract supplying Martin Sprocket, No way he could continue just to lose half anyway.

These will update/replace some 28-30 year old tools that are starting to get some wear, Like this Brown & Sharpe dial caliper that gets a bit "grainy" past @ 4". I'd like to send if off for a cleaning & calibration but not sure if it's worth it?

Never been a big fan of Digital Calipers, I'll give them a chance though......They're coolant proof so maybe I don't have to be as protective as I was with my B&S calipers?

59E7jgK.jpg

pawueqj.jpg

Matco MT2748: Housing and hog ring are in near-perfect condition. Not sure if it has been used? I wonder if it was recently repaired at at their Service Center since the snap ring is bent. Paid over 60% off original MSRP.
A9B2F36D-C514-4E3C-8E2A-AFBA35A3D3AB.jpeg

749D48C4-40E6-4B3C-9DFB-9BE2A3210571.jpeg

411EDAF5-D5B6-4FF0-BA44-387D507600CF.jpeg
7BBF48DC-3AFA-41FE-AA72-2411CC1E0812.jpeg

DD080BA1-94B0-4B64-A3A9-D68B9D184EB2.jpeg

Snap-On 207RIPFM: shallow, low profile 3/8” impact swivels. These are lower profile than most 1/4” impact swivels. Paid over 50% off MSRP and they’re still wrapped. Could have done without them, but for the price, sure.

E4441838-53C9-4689-B679-C0EDAE30D723.jpeg

Also cleaned up my top drawer a bit. @D60 brought Westling USA socket trays to my attention. I have two more en route, but I think a mix of these and VIM magrails can work well for one’s top drawer. VIM’s still save more space and work better, but they’re tough to obtain and have gotten ridiculously expensive.

BC73B719-EAC2-4455-B17C-25830AD757B4.jpeg

Matco MT2748: Housing and hog ring are in near-perfect condition. Not sure if it has been used? I wonder if it was recently repaired at at their Service Center since the snap ring is bent. Paid over 60% off original MSRP.
View attachment 145837
View attachment 145838
View attachment 145839View attachment 145840
View attachment 145841
Snap-On 207RIPFM: shallow, low profile 3/8” impact swivels. These are lower profile than most 1/4” impact swivels. Paid over 50% off MSRP and they’re still wrapped. Could have done without them, but for the price, sure.

View attachment 145842

Also cleaned up my top drawer a bit. @D60 brought Westling USA socket trays to my attention. I have two more en route, but I think a mix of these and VIM magrails can work well for one’s top drawer. VIM’s still save more space and work better, but they’re tough to obtain and have gotten ridiculously expensive.

View attachment 145843
Thats a lot of space savings, over my magnetic socket holders! Lighter in weight as well.

Mitutoyo Micrometers, Dial Caliper & Digital Caliper, Bought from a local Mitutoyo dealer that's been liquidating his inventory because slow business & a ongoing ugly divorce. These are the last 3 items he had, Said nobody wants to buy quality measuring tools anymore & after losing his contract supplying Martin Sprocket, No way he could continue just to lose half anyway.

These will update/replace some 28-30 year old tools that are starting to get some wear, Like this Brown & Sharpe dial caliper that gets a bit "grainy" past @ 4". I'd like to send if off for a cleaning & calibration but not sure if it's worth it?

Never been a big fan of Digital Calipers, I'll give them a chance though......They're coolant proof so maybe I don't have to be as protective as I was with my B&S calipers?

59E7jgK.jpg

pawueqj.jpg
I’ve got just one Mitutoyo caliper. Excellent tools. Most of my precision tools (mics, calipers, and squares) are Starrett but the Mitutoyo are excellent.

At that price, they’re a screaming deal.

Well done.

View attachment 145837
View attachment 145838
View attachment 145841

View attachment 145842

View attachment 145843
Aw, man! Those Westling socket trays are very, very nice! I’ve been using rails - but I’m reconsidering now!

F15E05E3-5BCC-47CC-8BEC-B34805136A3B.jpeg

Stopped by a AutoZone that I don’t go to much. They had this 1/4 drive 15mm shallow socket there. I found that interesting as none of the other AutoZone have them that I’ve seen yet. Wondering if this is something new? It’s nice not having to order 1/4 drive 15mm sockets now. I just wish they had deep ones too. I could not find a deep one. I’ve got two more sets to complete now with this one if they would have had another one I’d of gotten it too. Duralast makes good stuff so I’m happy to add this $4.99 socket to one of my trays. AutoZone in the hood is good for something LOL.

View attachment 145837
View attachment 145838
View attachment 145841

View attachment 145842

View attachment 145843
I make my own magrails, if you have a 3D printer I can send you the files and point you to my source for the magnets.

Reactions: D60
Background: PB Tools 71150 brake spring tool as recommended by @Timmastertech

OTC 7080 D44 ball joint sleeve spanner. I swear I had one of these ~20 years ago and clearly I put it somewhere logical because I can't find it.

Knipex revolving hole punch.

Foreground: cheap import BJ press cup kit. I may modify a few of these pieces for specific uses. At $38 on AWD it was hard to beat for the steel alone
20230321_165558.jpg

Back