New Tool Box

Back then the trade school I went to and Snap on had a deal, all graduating seniors got a small tool box (not a top or bottom box) with some basic tools for nothing, there were no 50% off deals for students then. Pretty good plan really, kid goes to work at the local dealer with a Snap on guy coming every Friday. Cha ching.

Back then the trade school I went to and Snap on had a deal, all graduating seniors got a small tool box (not a top or bottom box) with some basic tools for nothing, there were no 50% off deals for students then. Pretty good plan really, kid goes to work at the local dealer with a Snap on guy coming every Friday. Cha ching.
I sure wish they still had that lol but it doesn’t bother me I’m not the type that everything has to be Snap-on some of my coworkers are that way but I’m not. A lot of guys laugh at me because I have a variety of brands.

I sure wish they still had that lol but it doesn’t bother me I’m not the type that everything has to be Snap-on some of my coworkers are that way but I’m not. A lot of guys laugh at me because I have a variety of brands.

Let them laugh, I know Chris couldn't give a rats rear what people think about the brands of tools in his box and neither do I. I have some Snap on, for some tools they are the best and cant be found in other brands, they have some nice specialized stuff.
Look for used there are some great buys but you need to search them out, guys retiring with newer replacement tools and guys that started in the business and got out of it may have some that barely used and have little more than box rash on them.

For Euro cars Hazet has more specialty tools than any company I know of and of like quality, keep in mind all these companies do their share of rebranding of other high quality brands of tools, when you what they are they can be found many times significantly cheaper under their own brand name.
If you want Made in USA Snap on sockets look at Williams US made line, they are at least 50-60% cheaper and come from the same factory.

Let them laugh, I know Chris couldn't give a rats rear what people think about the brands of tools in his box and neither do I. I have some Snap on, for some tools they are the best and cant be found in other brands, they have some nice specialized stuff.
Look for used there are some great buys but you need to search them out, guys retiring with newer replacement tools and guys that started in the business and got out of it may have some that barely used and have little more than box rash on them.

For Euro cars Hazet has more specialty tools than any company I know of and of like quality, keep in mind all these companies do their share of rebranding of other high quality brands of tools, when you what they are they can be found many times significantly cheaper under their own brand name.
If you want Made in USA Snap on sockets look at Williams US made line, they are at least 50-60% cheaper and come from the same factory.
Yes I have some of the Williams sockets they are great. And honestly I don’t care if they laugh or not. They also laugh that I use knee pads but that’s because I care about my knees and they don’t. And I have bought many used tools I am perfectly fine with used.

Yes I have some of the Williams sockets they are great. And honestly I don’t care if they laugh or not. They also laugh that I use knee pads but that’s because I care about my knees and they don’t. And I have bought many used tools I am perfectly fine with used.
lowes has a really nice kneeling pad in their ppe section. much thicker and larger than most anything else..

LOL, some of these tool boxes cost more than our first home in the Upper Peninsula. Granted, the Kincheloe B-52 air base had just closed.......

Glad to see the new shop and your business thriving OP. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

There are tools I don't want in my box. But in no way do I look down on what others buy. I don't care want others think of what I put in my box.
I'm just a diy guy that enjoys tools. I have a mix of old usa craftsman, some snap-on, a few tekton, and recently wright.
Buy what you like and what works for you.
I can totally understand spending what cline did on a quality box. He will be opening and closing it much more than a diy guy will. Being able to get drawer parts would be important there.
In the the words of one of my now expired coworkers; " Nice box" !

There are tools I don't want in my box. But in no way do I look down on what others buy. I don't care want others think of what I put in my box.
I'm just a diy guy that enjoys tools. I have a mix of old usa craftsman, some snap-on, a few tekton, and recently wright.
Buy what you like and what works for you.
I can totally understand spending what cline did on a quality box. He will be opening and closing it much more than a diy guy will. Being able to get drawer parts would be important there.
In the the words of one of my now expired coworkers; " Nice box" !
I have the same brands you listed. And yes that’s what I do is just buy what works and stick with it. I might start saving to buy one of those Snap-on or Matco boxes or something they are nice for sure currently I have the Harbor Freight US General 72 inch top, bottom and side cabinet and it is working perfect for me right now.

I have the same brands you listed. And yes that’s what I do is just buy what works and stick with it. I might start saving to buy one of those Snap-on or Matco boxes or something they are nice for sure currently I have the Harbor Freight US General 72 inch top, bottom and side cabinet and it is working perfect for me right now.
I have the HF us general 72 bottom 56 top. Works perfect for me.

I have the HF us general 72 bottom 56 top. Works perfect for me.
That’s great a lot of the guys I work with have the same box as I do just we all have different colors we also use the Daytona jacks at work and I use them at home too they are amazing.

Reactions: JC1
I know Chris couldn't give a rats rear what people think about the brands of tools in his box and neither do I.

You're correct Paul......I don't care. Brands I have in my box.....Probably forgetting a few!

New Britain
Bonney
Thorsen
Craftsman
Mac
Matco
Cornwell
OTC
Martin
Snap-on
Williams
Blue-Point
S-K Wayne
Proto
Crescent (USA made)
Stanley (US)
Klein
Channellock (US)
Vise Grip (US & Offshore)
Vaughn
NAPA Pro
Gearwrench
Knipex
Kent-Moore
Thexton
Mayhew
Irwin
Milwaukee
Ingersoll Rand
Astro Pneumatic
Air-Cat
Chicago Pneumatic
Bosch
Brown & Sharpe
Mitutoyo
Ammco
Power Probe
ATEC trans tools
Bondhus
VIM
Whoever makes the Mountain/Platinum/EZ-Red ratcheting wrenches
Imperial
Rigid
Mityvac
Vacula
Robinair
Milton
Lisle
Lang

Yeah I mean there isn’t a reason for me to go in debt and I don’t want too. In case something ever happens. And right now I couldn’t make a payment anyway because of everything that is going on business has been so slow since March that I haven’t needed to buy anything for about 10 car average a day at the dealership which is disappointing I’m glad it hasn’t hurt you as much I didn’t think it would ever be this slow in the automotive industry we so far have only had one car today and it was an oil change so our new guy done it. But I am confident it will pick back up soon hopefully.

How are other dealership service departments doing in your area? The rollercoaster ride is one of the reasons I got away from being a dealer tech.

Ever thought about working for a independant garage? It's a shock to the system initially, But....You can really grow as a mechanic when you service different Makes of vehicles.

The 1987 market crash, 9/11, And the 2008 crash greatly affected the automotive service industry. It will get better if history is any indication.....But don't die on the vine at a slow Service department or Indy garage unless it really is region wide.

The way I see it.....Used car inventory is at a all time low & Lending has tightened up, Forcing people to fix their existing vehicles. I've had several customers who declined work as they were going to "Trade Up" come back & get the work done because of current events. These folks aren't looking to pay Dealer labor rates.

How are other dealership service departments doing in your area? The rollercoaster ride is one of the reasons I got away from being a dealer tech.

Ever thought about working for a independant garage? It's a shock to the system initially, But....You can really grow as a mechanic when you service different Makes of vehicles.

The 1987 market crash, 9/11, And the 2008 crash greatly affected the automotive service industry. It will get better if history is any indication.....But don't die on the vine at a slow Service department or Indy garage unless it really is region wide.

The way I see it.....Used car inventory is at a all time low & Lending has tightened up, Forcing people to fix their existing vehicles. I've had several customers who declined work as they were going to "Trade Up" come back & get the work done because of current events. These folks aren't looking to pay Dealer labor rates.
My buddy who works at Ford hasn’t been having much luck either. They have been getting just as few as we have today I didn’t do anything but just stood there and hung out from 8-5 went to the pawn shop across the street though and got some tools there. And I also know a guy who I have known for years he owns a shop or did own one but this stuff put him out of business in June it was really unfortunate. I noticed the local Firestone’s and Jiffy Lube hasn’t been very busy either. I used to work at an independent shop I just hate having to memorize how to do things on several different vehicles and brands and stuff and got tired of being treated bad. Also got tired of doing the Ford broken spark plugs lol 😂. We have this one guy at my shop he is new just started Monday and today bought a Matco box I told him he was crazy he only done an oil change today and has 3 kids at home I said you were better off keeping that Husky for awhile till things pick up. If they don’t pick up by the end of the year I am going to have to do something cause I can barely make it on this all my bills are due my insurance and my car payments to my parents are due too.

Love the new box. We are lucky, we are pretty steady with customer pay work. Lots of warranty and recalls as always. We still aren't at same month numbers from last year, but it is probably within 80%.

Love the new box. We are lucky, we are pretty steady with customer pay work. Lots of warranty and recalls as always. We still aren't at same month numbers from last year, but it is probably within 80%.
You are definitely lucky then. I wish everything for me would speed up again. We haven’t had a lot of warranty come in either surprisingly. One thing I don’t miss though is the customers using all of our hand cleaner in the bathroom because our dealership is so small we don’t have our own wash area and stuff so we share the customer one they put our dispenser on the wall and the customers use it and so sometimes we don’t have any left. The boss put a note on there but that didn’t help 😂. We had 6 cars yesterday for 9 of us and who knows what will be next week. Today they told me and a few others not to even come in because they didn’t have a single appointment. The body shop has been the same way too nothing hardly for them either.

You are definitely lucky then. I wish everything for me would speed up again. We haven’t had a lot of warranty come in either surprisingly. One thing I don’t miss though is the customers using all of our hand cleaner in the bathroom because our dealership is so small we don’t have our own wash area and stuff so we share the customer one they put our dispenser on the wall and the customers use it and so sometimes we don’t have any left. The boss put a note on there but that didn’t help 😂. We had 6 cars yesterday for 9 of us and who knows what will be next week. Today they told me and a few others not to even come in because they didn’t have a single appointment. The body shop has been the same way too nothing hardly for them either.
If parts would stop being on backorder that would help a lot.

Back