New-to-me Subaru, what oil to go with?

A little off topic but about the HG and EJ. Ppl say to change the coolant, but do you suggest putting in the OEM conditioner bottle? I hear it's a debate.

A little off topic but about the HG and EJ. Ppl say to change the coolant, but do you suggest putting in the OEM conditioner bottle? I hear it's a debate.

If you have the EJ 2.5L (WWP-99 Subaru Owner Notification Letter) It was a recall where the dealership added this conditioner to the affected vehicles. I have an EJ20k and I did not put that in when I changed the coolant. Still going strong at 166k kms.

2000-2002 Legacy & Outback
1999-2000 Impreza
1999-2002 Forester

Once headgaskets have been done, run the Walmart special 50/50 mix if you have a n/a ej25.

As far as oil "burning", it's one of the biggest misdiagnosed issues in the Subaru community.

I have fixed the "oil burning" just by making sure the pcv system is up to par. From the pcv valve, to the hoses, to clogged ports in the valve covers.

Other than that, pick your favorite 5-30 from Walmart and run it for 5k and change the timing components every 60k.

Back