New Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still when it comes down to it, if you are paying a premium price, get a TRUE synthetic, not a group 3 hydrocrack.

Get what you pay for.

BoDuke,

How many miles have you given the MaxLife? I would give it at least a a couple thousand miles before switching it out. I have had my vehicle act like yours just changing from 5W to 10W-30, same brand. After a couple thousand or so miles, it seemed right back to its usual self. I think it is a combination of the new oil shearing, and the ECU becomming acclimated to the new oil. It could also be external factors like weather, winter gas, and/or tire pressure.

i noticed an immediate drop in performance with the maxlife. i gave it about 2k. i drained it today and filled er up with Pennzoil Platinum. ive noticed a huge difference! This stuff is great!

ive used Motorcraft for the full 43,000 minus the last 2k w/ the maxlife. but when i put the pennzoil in, my truck loved it. its like a brand new peppy little truck. its crazy! i would highly suggest it to anyone.

i think the maxlife, although still a 5w30 was probably a bit too thick. and i guess my truck just didnt like it! but i put my drained oil to good use anyways (waste oil heater), so everythings cool!

...plus i got the Pennzoil Platinum for 2.08/qt & the maxlife for 2.03/qt! not too bad...

-Bo

quote:

i dont want redline or amsoil or anything outrageous.

The reason I use Amsoil is for a one year OCI.

I think I fall in the norm of 12K per year. I look at the best of both worlds, less engine deposit, better fuel MPG, cost saving and time saving in one year OCI.

I wouldn't consider any other choice. Just an Amsoil user...

i dont know about the whole amsoil thing...

no offense to anyone who uses it. i just dont know if i would ever use it.

how much does that stuff cost anyways?? throw me an apprx. number on 5qts. of a synthetic 5w30...

just curious i guess...

thanks

-Bo

quote:

Originally posted by BoDuke26:
i dont know about the whole amsoil thing...

no offense to anyone who uses it. i just dont know if i would ever use it.

how much does that stuff cost anyways?? throw me an apprx. number on 5qts. of a synthetic 5w30...

Price it out for yourself on Amsoil's Storefront:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx

Although I think you get a slightly cheaper price if you become a preferred customer.

BoDuke26,

I'm on the first fill with M1 10/30 in a 2000 GC 3.3. Engine has 78K miles on it and 5400 miles on the M1. No startup noises, same as previous fills, 3 years of GTX, 2 years of ST Syn, all 10/30. I'll probably use M1 5/30 next fall but don't expect anything diferent for results.

It is a pain sometimes to find amsoil. Just get whatever syn you see at the local store and try them till you get a UOA you like.

quote:

Mobil 1 in 5qt jugs at wallyworld or Pennz Platinum on sale after rebates are both great deals.

That's what I use. Max Life tends to be somewhat "thick" compared to others at the same weight. On a newer vehicle you might see a difference in sluggishness.

Just found the site & joined. Great people here & great info !!

I have PP in my '03 GMC for the last 5k miles (nervous since I usually drain 3-3.5k dino, but run M1 Syn in Winter). Can get cold in Mn...

I LOVE the PP, engine runs quieter, the mileage went up 0.2 mpg in equivalent conditions vs GM dino.

Am draining today - putting in M1 EP & a WIX for the first time for both...

Any comments on the M1 EP/WIX combo on how long to leave it in there...? Would bug me over 6k!!

I run the GMC hard, cold climate driving (up to Lake of the Woods Ice Fishing) :) and want to keep 'er a long time if that helps.....

Yeah, I just got back from Wally World and M1 EP is $5.99 a quart and regular is $5.79. PP is still $4.52, a relative bargain. And don't forget the deal going on at Advance Auto: a little over $2.00 a quart after rebate. Since I go with 5000 mile OCI, I might switch to Mobil 7500, which is also somewhere in the $2.00 to $3.00 range.

I'd shift to Amsoil ASL 5W-30 synthetic Oil & their filter also. Then after 2000-3000 miles, change the oil filter agin and add a quart or what ever it takes to bring bac to the full mark.

BlazerLT, they can be compared because they will have very similar results in the end. There is plenty of info on this site that shows group3's as being extremely close if not the same to pao in performance...

quote:

Too bad PP is not a real synthetic.

Pennzoil Platinum is a full synthetic. It is EOP.

It is not a Grp III hydrocracked conventional oil - no one on this board has ever presented any info that indicates it is a Grp III.

quote:

I dont know about the whole amsoil thing...

The "thing" is the marketing and distribution (will not elaborate, others have)

Try to separate that from the product. I would be using it had I not purchased 4 cases of redline @ the advance auto clearance. When the RL is gone, I'll use amsoil.

Stick with the reps on this board. They are balanced and reasonable contributors and in my mind have ameliorated my opinion of Amsoil, not lessened it.

I'm tired of posting the links...

Please review the links in this thread.

Terry Dyson has hinted in the past that Pennzoil finally launched their new synthetic base oil, after a couple years in the development phase, & this has been confirmed by Johnny.

Other than some off-target speculation, we have never seen anything on this board that indicates Pennzoil Platinum is Grp III..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back