New Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys. i have decided to switch to synthetic in my truck. (03 ford ranger 4.0 sohc 43,000mi).

i am new to the synthetic world. i have been running Motorcraft 5w30 syn blend, but this last oil change i put in valv. maxlife dino 5w30. i am not to happy with it actually. it is making my engine run wierd. low rpms at idle and start up etc.. generally feeling sludgy and lacking power!
frown.gif

im going to change it out for synthetic this week and stick with synthetic for the life of the truck.

anyways, is there anything special i need to do to switch to synthetic? ive run syn blends so i wouldnt think so but who knows i guess.
dunno.gif

mainly what im asking is what is the best synthetic 5w30 oil out there for my application? i dont want redline or amsoil or anything outrageous. just a good synthetic i can find at the auto store or wal-mart. i was thinking Pennzoil Plat. what yall think?? alot of people talk bad about Pennzoil on this site from what ive seen...

thanks in advance for any input at all! sorry this was lengthy
smile.gif

-Bo

p.s.- i dont know if this will help you guys or not?

i change my oil every 3k with the dino, and i plan on changing it every 5-7k with synthetic. dont know if that will help in oil selection
dunno.gif

Shouldn't need anything.

I suggest a true synthetic like:

Redline
Mobil1
Esso XD3 (If you are in Canada)

rotella t is going to be too thick for my engine unfortuantely! id rather not use redline.

what are the thoughts on Penn. Platinum??

Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec are almost 6 bucks a quart around here in mid-illinois so thats why i thought about the Pennzoil. but if thats no good i will probably get Mobil 1.

thanks for the input guys!

quote:

alot of people talk bad about Pennzoil on this site from what ive seen...

Anybody here bad mouthing Pennzoil is lacking in mental faculty. Educate yourself, read a bunch of the UOAs, and you'll see that Pennzoil produces top notch lubricants equivalent to any of the other major brands.

BoDuke26, Try Royal Purple...Purple is royalty and your SO will like the colour2...
grin.gif

BoDuke26,

I'm running Platinum in my 2005 Toyota 3.3L V6 and I've had no problems using it. I ran Pennzoil dino 5w30 for 4k miles after my first oil change at 1k. The UOA showed good results.

As a former resident of your area, I know your engine will appreciate Platinum, especially in the winter time.

I don't have any experience with Penz. Plat. and I don't have any experience with your vehicle but here's what I can tell you...

I have an '00 Grand Am GT with 100K miles on it. The 3.4L engine is famous for the leaky intake manifold gasket. Mine has never leaked however, they did replace it for me under warranty. I have used Mobil1 in my engine since 15K. Now, 85K miles later, when I look inside the valve covers I see parts that look like they are factory new. There isn't a spot of sludge or any varnish anywhere that I can see.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the Penz. Plat. but I know Mobil1 is a true synthetic that you can get in a 5-quart jug for around $20 at Wal-Mart. I also know that Mobil1 has served my engine VERY well. I'm in Indiana so our weather is probably very similiar.

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with Mobil1.

Mobil 1 in 5qt jugs at wallyworld or Pennz Platinum on sale after rebates are both great deals. I used M1 only for 100k miles and will be switching to PP due to the great after rebate prices. These are both great full synthetic oils available off the shelf.

BoDuke26 wrote,
anyways, is there anything special i need to do to switch to synthetic? ive run syn blends so i wouldnt think so but who knows i guess.

First drain the old oil.
Replace the drain plug.
Pour the new oil in.
tongue.gif

Works for me.

Wayne

ive heard mobil 1 causes alot of startup noise, or makes the engine generally run louder. any truth to this? and why? also, whats with the time release deal from pennzoil? is that just a marketing thing? thanks

I feel that the mobil one has resulted in louder mechanical noise than other oils I have used in my last few cars and trucks. Not at startup, I only noticed it when hot. I have run this oil in many vehicles for over 200K and have not seen any engine performance or noise change over that time. I think it is a great oil. The cars and trucks I have noticed the increased noise in were 2 Toyota 4.7l V8 tundras, and 2 Nissan 3.0l V6 Maxima's

I don't have enough miles on my new 3.5L Nissan V6 to switch. give me a couple weeks.

My '00 GA that I referred to above is somewhat loud w/Mobil1. Although, I had a 7K mile UOA that came back looking great. I haven't tried any other oils yet since I know that Mobil1 is doing it's job of protecting the internals.

while i believe that M1 is an excellent oil, it did cause a lot of valve train noise in my truck. (2000 dakota, 3.9l) i went with GC, and the motor runs better and quieter than ever, with no change in mileage. i highly recommend GC. but all motors are different, and some will "like" GC best,or M1, or amsoil, etc. try a couple of different oils, and see which one your motor "likes" best, and stick with it for 7,000-10,000 mi. good luck.

It is all about thickness/viscosity. Mobil 1 is thin. GC is thick. High Mileage oils are thick. Comparing GC to M1 5W30 is comparing different weights of oil. GC to M1 0W40 would be a much more direct comparison.

I'd stick with the Max life until you get a sale price on Penn Plat. Penn Plat probably will be doing sales the rest of the year to build market share from M1. They are same priced at Walmart around here at $21 a jug. I thought 5-30 M1 noisey in my gm 3.1.

Almost all additives packs are time or heat release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back