New smaller design for Motorcraft FL-400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart yesterday, and noticed that the FL-400S is significanly shorter. It says "new size same performance".
I may need to change over to a Wix/NG for my next change on my Windstar. Anyone else seen this yet ? It still appeared to be a Purolator with the threaded end bypass.

I will continue to use it in my jeep. My feeling is it is to save metal in the making of the filters. I have no doubt performance has not been compromised. Cost cutting and saving a resource is not always a bad thing.

It is interesting they say New size, same performance, would be nice to know if anythging changed. It could be either better media to make up for possibly, possibly since I have no cut one open and do not know, less media since it is smaller in size or that the new size has no effect on performance and it uses the same media.

I rented a Flex last week (3.5L V6). Walmart reference chart said FL-400S but owners manual calls for FL-500S.

Did not see any FL-500S at Walmart but I suspect it's larger.

Hopefully bdcardinal will post.

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
I rented a Flex last week (3.5L V6). Walmart reference chart said FL-400S but owners manual calls for FL-500S.

Did not see any FL-500S at Walmart but I suspect it's larger.

Hopefully bdcardinal will post.

Probably a situation where simply more than one filter will work perfectly.

I can use two different filters on my Silverado. One is an inch longer than the other. On mine, it specifies the shorter one. I use the longer one, which is specified for the same engine in earlier years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back