New Shell F/S packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Formula Shell 5w30 SN Plus on the left.

SHELL.jpg

Last edited:
I think Home Depot and Sams Club are the few places that a person can buy such oil.

I dont really understand their marketing strategy.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I think Home Depot and Sams Club are the few places that a person can buy such oil.

Someone is also distributing to shops. My local mechanic uses full syn formula shell for their standard oil changes.

Menards also carries it at times.

Yes, I tend to see this stuff at odd places per your observation.
They carry this and Wolf's Head at my locally owned discount store.
HD and Menards on occasion as well.

It seems like they're trying to avoid the wall of competition at Wally's and to market towards the opportunistic sale to a consumer that is at a store with the intent to purchase some completely different product.
21.gif

I've seen the conventional Formula Shell at HD but not the synthetic version. Although I've read on here about Menards have the full syn. They're about to open a new store here any day. Been under construction for awhile.

I'm a creepy oil change shop owner.
Buy from PPC Lubricants.
Price is Right.
Off to ruin cars, Later

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Where do you buy it from and the price?

15.gif

A few days ago I was asking if there was still any Shell branded motor oil sold in the US other than Rotella. I haven't seen it. At this point it sounds like Shell is all in with promoting Pennzoil as its flagship brand in the US, with some Quaker State.

Way back when I remember buying the old FormulaShell conventional because it was cheap. Something like 99 cents a quart at Target. I know this is way different, but back then it seemed like a good bargain for use in mild conditions.

When opened 20 years ago I was a branded Texaco center (Star Lube). I loved the Havoline products and support through Texaco.
Texaco turned to Shell and Sopus. Shell support was non existent.
Shell was a bargain compared to the PZ or QS products.
Slowly but surely the Shell products creeped up in price to near the other Sopus oils (PZ/QS).
I an no longer a branded center but do, still, sell a lot of Shell products.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
A few days ago I was asking if there was still any Shell branded motor oil sold in the US other than Rotella. I haven't seen it. At this point it sounds like Shell is all in with promoting Pennzoil as its flagship brand in the US, with some Quaker State.

Way back when I remember buying the old FormulaShell conventional because it was cheap. Something like 99 cents a quart at Target. I know this is way different, but back then it seemed like a good bargain for use in mild conditions.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
When opened 20 years ago I was a branded Texaco center (Star Lube). I loved the Havoline products and support through Texaco.
Texaco turned to Shell and Sopus. Shell support was non existent.
Shell was a bargain compared to the PZ or QS products.
Slowly but surely the Shell products creeped up in price to near the other Sopus oils (PZ/QS).
I an no longer a branded center but do, still, sell a lot of Shell products.

I remember when Shell and Texaco went into the big Equilon joint venture. The current Shell Martinez refinery was renamed at least until the joint venture more or less dissolved. I saw that name on Havoline, Shell, Pennzoil, and QS bottles. I also remember when I could find Havoline 5W-30 for 69 cents a quart at WM. Not sure why because it was still heavily advertised, and not typically a sign of a bargain brand.

I think SOPUS is selling Formula Shell as a "budget" oil to HD, C-Stores and Costco and as bulk to mechanics and quick lubes. Chevron is rebranding their passenger car line to Havoline, but oddly enough Chevron Supreme oil is still a thing.

Bulk Shell is a bit less expensive than PZ/QS.
The cased products are much cheaper.
Shell does zero to promote the brand even on the gas side.

Shell consistently has the highest gas prices around here. Maybe the promotion is regional, but we see a lot of ads for Shell gas around here.

Most, if not all, of the Texaco stations in NJ/PA were rebranded to Shell years ago.
These stations were acquired by a Co from Russia and rebranded as Amerigas/Conoco/Etc.
They are sh!tholes compared to the old Shell/Texaco stations that were Company owned and operated.

Shell consistently has the highest gas prices around here. Maybe the promotion is regional, but we see a lot of ads for Shell gas around here.

Most, if not all, of the Texaco stations in NJ/PA were rebranded to Shell years ago.
These stations were acquired by a Co from Russia and rebranded as Amerigas/Conoco/Etc.
They are sh!tholes compared to the old Shell/Texaco stations that were Company owned and operated.

I've seen some oddball stuff around here. For the most part Texaco went away decades ago in my part of California - maybe late 80s since there was any sizable presence. However, there were all these little holdouts. There was a prominent Texaco station along I-880 in Oakland that stayed that way until it became independent. Also one old-fashioned service station (I think they even had full service) on the campus of Stanford University before it rebranded as Valero before being razed. Of course the one thing that this basically made obvious was that brand name on the gas station didn't necessarily correspond to who refines the fuel.

I don't know exactly how it all went down, but we had some big national brands that just went away. Both Exxon and Mobil were essentially gone from most of Northern California until they started coming back about 3 years ago. BP had a huge presence around here - so much that I got a BP credit card. But once they went away (maybe 1998) I didn't have anywhere to use my BP rewards credit. Since I hadn't cashed them in for a while I got a $20 BP gas card and sent it to a friend in Southern California who could still use it.

There are also brands that have never been around here, such as Phillips 66, Conoco, or Sunoco.

There's a Standard station in SF - it's there so Chevron can continue holding the "rights" to the Standard Oil name on the West Coast(Chevron was known as Standard Oil of California, the name change happened after the breakup of Standard Oil). I remember BP as a kid, there was one off I-80 in San Pablo.

Mobil was a SoCal thing, and Exxon existed in NorCal before XOM sold their Benicia refinery to Valero. Now, XOM did enter a licensing agreement with Tesoro, just after BP sold the rights and IP of Arco to them. And now Tesoro is part of Marathon Oil. A few 76 stations in Oakland changed over to Mobil.

Originally Posted by nthach
There's a Standard station in SF - it's there so Chevron can continue holding the "rights" to the Standard Oil name on the West Coast(Chevron was known as Standard Oil of California, the name change happened after the breakup of Standard Oil). I remember BP as a kid, there was one off I-80 in San Pablo.

Mobil was a SoCal thing, and Exxon existed in NorCal before XOM sold their Benicia refinery to Valero. Now, XOM did enter a licensing agreement with Tesoro, just after BP sold the rights and IP of Arco to them. And now Tesoro is part of Marathon Oil. A few 76 stations in Oakland changed over to Mobil.

I actually remember plenty of Mobil gas stations in Northern California until about the mid-90s. They had that stainless steel gas pump design with the round shape. There was an old Mobil station near where I grew up where an independent just kept them as long as they could before getting ones with a digital readout.

[Linked Image]

As a kid I always had my own explanation for how things work. I thought that all fuel was right there above ground in the pump. When I saw some slim designs where the upper part was about the same width but the base was narrow, I couldn't figure how they managed to store all that fuel.

I remember Standard well and know exactly which gas station you're referring to. The one on Van Ness across the street from the Holiday Inn.

[Linked Image]

I live in Contra Costa County, so I've been through the long stream of refinery ownership/name changes and the occasional closure. I remember when Pacific Refining in Hercules closed down and created a huge brownfield problem. Or the Unocal refinery that became Tosco, then ConocoPhillips, then Phillips 66. Also the Shell Martinez refinery which became Equilon Martinez before going back to the old name. And the Golden Eagle Refinery seemed to have a history of accidents which ended up spiking the price of gasoline in California.

Strangely enough I don't really see the Tesoro retail name any more. I was looking up some of the newer Exxon and Mobil stations around here, and they're actually listed as Tesoro station in the station name.

https://www.exxon.com/en/gas-station/oakland-ca-tesoro63049-200320282
[Linked Image]

TESORO # 63049
3400 SAN PABLO AVE

OAKLAND , CA 94608

A lot of this is all convoluted now. I guess the Valero retail brand is separate from the Valero refining operations. Also BP relicensing the ARCO name, with BP retaining ownership of ampm and licensing that to Tesoro (or whatever they're called now) in some areas.

BJ's had it for a while here, but not anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back