5W20 Under 45 Degrees F. ?

Why not just tell us the nearest big city and state?

Stay far away from any 5w20 with your Hyunkia four cylinder. Even in the colder Michigan winter, I run a blend of 10w30 and 0w40 in my 2.4 GDI.

Our Kia uses Amsoil Euro 0w30. It's thick.... right around 12.3 cst@100.
Thicker is better for these engines. Look what member Accent Abuser is doing with his.... and he runs 10w40 or 5w50 in cold Boston winters. Last I read, he was entering around 210,000 on his odometer and the engine hasn't been replaced.
Interesting blend (10W30 / 0W40) … 50/50 or some other ratio ?

I started my old BMW using 10W-60 in sub-zero F temperatures several times. Parked outside. It’s not an issue even worth discussing at 45 F.

Record for Minnesota is -60F

And back to OPs topic, You'll be just fine with 5w-30 at those temps
We have had concrete crews here from Minnesota for several weeks - they look like happy campers working in coastal Texas this time of year … Doing great work too (sidewalks, curbs, lot entries, etc) … 👍

We started vehicles this week using 5w30 with -22 degrees Fahrenheit with no issues.
I was checking oil on mom's 2004 Camry with 2AZ-FE. Took some pictures as the manual and oil cap recommendations.

Energy conserving API SL 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. :oops: 😁 ;) You can substitute 10W-30 if needed but then switch back at next change. Her window sticker also said to replace at at 123k but she only has 121k. Date of course recommended October of 2022 also as next change but oil is still full and crystal clear on dipstick.
IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

Back