New Quaker State Ultimate Protection

Unlike Mobil, that has put out dozens of videos of testing done on their end to ensure the oils are capable, Shell has done nothing at all. They're fine oils for most intervals but to all of a sudden recommend 20k miles I need a bit more.
How do you know they have done nothing at all? Mobil may choose to publish videos about their research, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit. Oil companies research and develop all the time and are very private about it. Shell could have been working on this for years, so I don't know if you can legit say that it is "all of a sudden."

That being said, marketing can be crap most of the time and so this could very well just be a label change to improve sales on the same formula.

How do you know they have done nothing at all? Mobil may choose to publish videos about their research, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit. Oil companies research and develop all the time and are very private about it. Shell could have been working on this for years, so I don't know if you can legit say that it is "all of a sudden."

That being said, marketing can be crap most of the time and so this could very well just be a label change to improve sales on the same formula.
I just expect more. Mobil's been doing this for quite some time.

I get it. Maybe Shell will release something similar about the QS soon. I hope they do. (y)
I would guess that PUP is capable. Just not sure about the others. How clean will they keep the engine? Do they contain any higher end base oils and AO's for the longer drain intervals etc.? Shell is a top-notch formulator I'd like to just see something that led them to this 20k claim.

I would guess that PUP is capable. Just not sure about the others. How clean will they keep the engine? Do they contain any higher end base oils and AO's for the longer drain intervals etc.? Shell is a top-notch formulator I'd like to just see something that led them to this 20k claim.
So, buster; what’s the bottom line? Could you possibly do 10k on this oil while using UOA’s and being vigilant?

Just thinking out loud

So, buster; what’s the bottom line? Could you possibly do 10k on this oil while using UOA’s and being vigilant?

Just thinking out loud
I have no idea. Depends on the usual - engine type, climate, type of service use etc.

I'm not knocking the oil, just find it interesting they all of a sudden slap a 20k mile rating on it.

I loved the old Mobil 1 presentation photos of piston deposits, where the M1 piston photo was overexposed about 5 stops compared to the "other oil" to make it falsely appear cleaner.

. What a crock! . Turned me off BIGTIME.

Excerpt from pg 13/30 of Mobil 2008 slideshow presentation (Mobil 1 Technology Riccardo mtg 5-27-2008 -

m1 piston deposit.png

I loved the old Mobil 1 presentation photos of piston deposits, where the M1 piston photo was overexposed about 5 stops compared to the "other oil" to make it falsely appear cleaner.

Excerpt from pg 13/30 of Mobil 2008 slideshow presentation (Mobil 1 Technology Riccardo mtg 5-27-2008 -

View attachment 149056
Looks like the darn flash cube forgot to fire on the bottom pic.

I do not think SOPUS has done the best marketing for their synthetic oils : Why would I use (if it can be found) PUP over PPP ? QS does a little better with explaining new QSUP vs. QSFS but still not exactly sure what I get by spending $2.00 more for jug with QSUP ?

View attachment 149056
Valvoline , Castrol or SOPUS = Market General Fully Synthetic ?

View attachment 149056
Shell did something similar, using only one (the worst) piston from the six (also over-exposed) to compare to their best to claim superiority
(take the top-right Mobil Piston and compare it to the bottom ones):

PUM1.jpg

Then maybe SOPUS is the badder bad-boy as I don't think the Mobil 1 presentation was for general consumer consumption.
The pic I used on the bottom there, with the grey background, is from the Mobil website from a very long time ago, so that was consumer-facing. It's basically the same photo from their internal stuff.

Then maybe SOPUS is the badder bad-boy as I don't think the Mobil 1 presentation was for general consumer consumption.
Shell/Valvoline/Castrol are the worst offenders IMO. Mobil usually doesn't call out competitors. They just show videos of testing etc. Pennzoil also used regular M1 and compared it to Ultra, not PP.

Shell/Valvoline/Castrol are the worst offenders IMO. Mobil usually doesn't call out competitors. They just show videos of testing etc. Pennzoil also used regular M1 and compared it to Ultra, not PP.
When you are "perceived" as number one you become a target.

I find most all majors ho-hum "adequate" and quite comparable - each with a few "gems" in their collection.

Aftermarket warranty company’s are a joke
My son bought a used Mustang from a Ford dealer and purchased an aftermarket warranty
No long after his purchase he installed true dual exhaust
During his warranty period the trans goes out
He makes a claim
Claim was denied because the dual exhaust caused the trans failure !!😳😳😳
Next thing you know? The type of windshield washer and blinker fluid will determine if your engine fails...lol

Back