New project, true 'barn find'

Status
Not open for further replies.
1932 Maytag 92 "Multi-Motor"

2 stroke, 3/4 hp, ~1,000 rpm, runs on a 16:1 mix

Decided to try playing w/ something different. I became fascinated w/ these after going to a fly-in that also had an antique engine show.

It is almost all original, but was missing some parts and not running when I got it. I took it apart and went through it, keeping as much of the original (or old restoration's) finish and patina as possible and sourcing some repro plug wire, an original type plug and newer points. After a carb rebuild and some effort w/ the timing, I finally got her running well today. Lots of smoke...
maytagcrop.jpg

Originally Posted By: expat
How does the wife think about using it?

I told her that now she doesn't have to do the laundry by hand anymore and can spend more time on the vacuuming and bathrooms....my Wife is a litigator...guess the response :)

Here's a shot of the carb, it also shows the start gear, crank bearing oiler and drain, and flywheel which is dome shaped and covers the points, coil and governor. These are not hit-n-miss, but governed using an adjustable bob weight that opens the points at the set rpm.

The different shades show the parts that I refinished. I only refinished places where the paint was very bad or there was some rust as I tried to keep it as original as I could. The camera brings out the color differences, they are not that noticeable in natural light.

maytagcarbcrop.jpg

We have one like that we restored. It still has the exhaust pipe you run outside the house. It is a hit and miss engine and the more pressure you put on the flywheel the faster it will run, its neat.

You are absolutely correct that this is a hit & miss type. I should not try to think and post while on a boring conference call... For some reason, when I thought about it, the classic Deere type 4 stroke hit & miss came to mind.

I will try to take and post a video at some point, but there are many on YouTube including some of the twin version of this engine. Need to find one of those next.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
was that used in commercial washing machines?

Nope. It was used in home washing machines. Remember, much of rural america wasn't electrified until after WWII. If you didn't have electricity and wanted a washing machine, you needed one run by a gasoline engine.

running the tank dry w/ sta-bil before I put it away for the Winter. Ran great for about an hour straight, had a nice "fog" in the driveway....if only all of my projects came out this well.

Smokstak is good place, lot of knowledge there. I was surprised how much of a cult following there is for these machines. I think I have the bug, I may start looking for a Deere Model E next.

maytagrun2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back