Projects...

I must admit....I don't really care for long term projects especially when it pertains to obscure vehicles!

Vehicle.....1980 International Harvester Scout II with a Nissan SD-33T Diesel.

Been putting it off for awhile, But this is a good customer I make a lot of money off, Warned him I charge by the hour on "projects"....But he wasn't phased a bit.

Got the original engine to run after installing a new battery & running another battery in series with some jumper cables. Had a dead miss on #2 & a ton of blow-by out of the vent tube....So bad it would steadily drip oil.
Couldn't access #2 glow plug hole with a Compression/Leakdown test whip as the Injection pump is in the way. So I pulled the glow plug & put my finger over the hole....I could hold my finger tight against the hole!

Pulled the cylinder head to assess the damage, #2 Piston is cracked, All 6 Liners have sufficient wear with good lip at the ridge.

Sent the head off to get it magnafluxed, Had cracks between every Valve & cracks in the Pre-Chambers.

Told the customer that the engine is basically scrap iron, Recommended a Repower using a GM LSx or a Cummins 4BT if he really insisted on keeping it Diesel.

He insists on keeping it original, I put the task of finding an engine on him! Couple months go by & he shows up with a supposed good runner that he had to drive to Colorado Springs to get.

Of coarse I'm going to pull the cylinder head & have it magnafluxed, The Bores/Liners/Pistons look great! Unfortunately....This head also has cracks between the Valves. I don't know enough about these engines to know if these cracks are harmless or not?

KuWmvHV.jpg

KzJONMv.jpg

E02l8AW.jpg

bs4k5nx.jpg

I don't think I've had much to do with the 6 cyl version, the the 4 cyl SD22 was pretty common here. I used to work on some 240C Taxis here with them. Very reliable. A vacuum governor - you need to put oil in the injector pump, and drain the oil from the vacuum chamber is what I remember doing to them. Look for a TD42, one of the best small diesels ever built.

I don't think I've had much to do with the 6 cyl version, the the 4 cyl SD22 was pretty common here. I used to work on some 240C Taxis here with them. Very reliable. A vacuum governor - you need to put oil in the injector pump, and drain the oil from the vacuum chamber is what I remember doing to them. Look for a TD42, one of the best small diesels ever built.

Small diesels were never very popular here in the States.

I don’t have any experience with that particular engine but it’s my experience that cracks in those areas in 4bt heads are common. I have a skid steer running around that has multiple cracks but not to a water jacket in the head of a 4 cylinder non turbo Case/Cummins engine. You wouldn’t even know it.

Usually when I run into a head crack issue I send it out, no matter if gas or diesel. I had a link but they dont do Nissan diesel heads, I would thing there are a few shops that do this kind of work.
I found a service manual for that engine with a revision if you need it.

Last edited:
He's insane. I would have put a cummins in that thing and never looked back.
That’s what I love about Martin Bros - the romance of an old ride - but stiff frame - rack and pinion - new suspension - and heck yeah = a serious power train !

Sounds like you may need to have a long talk with your customer. He sounds like he’s dead set on keeping it original. The other engine offered was the 345 cid IH V8. One of those would be a hard find too. For chugging around the farm the 4BT would be a good choice.

That seems pretty cool. I can sympathize with wanting to keep it original. Hopefully the second engine will be rebuildable.

Also seems like a candidate for a Cummins R2.8 repower....

Last edited:
interesting as always, thanks for posting! not a pro BUT diesels high cylinder pressures come to mind + i remember the issues GM had when they slapped diesel heads on a block with gasser internals!!!

I'm with @Creekside on this one. I have seen cracks on heads of diesel engines even big displacement ones that aren't a problem.

is it worth a call to the local Nissan dealer asking them if this is a common problem?

just my $0.02

interesting as always, thanks for posting! not a pro BUT diesels high cylinder pressures come to mind + i remember the issues GM had when they slapped diesel heads on a block with gasser internals!!!
When did GM do that?

The Oldsmobile diesel block had a higher nickel content, thicker webs, upgraded from two bolt to four bolt mains, and forged rods and pistons.

Highly sought after blocks for building engines these days, they shared only bolt patterns and dimensions with the gasser 350 Olds.

Back