New Pistons - Oil consumption better but, not great?

This!

Why would OP tell sister valve covers were lose? This is why a lot of people do not like to do favors for family. This would have cost OP a significant amount of money if he had it done at a shop. He should be grateful to his BIL!

If I left something loose I’d be incredibly embarrassed, not upset. I’d go over my work again with a fine-toothed comb to ensure I didn’t miss anything outwardly obvious. OPs BIL sounds like he might have a bit lazy knowing he wasn’t getting paid for the job or maybe he’s not lazy but did the job between other jobs and didn’t give it his full attention.

With that said, the OP should have told the BIL directly if he has an issue with something. Kind of annoying that we’re all left here guessing what the dude did re: honing and such.

My LTFT is a little high as well. It varies, but sometimes gets up to about +10. Could that have anything to do with it? If it's an exhaust leak, (cat was replaced) it could be giving a false lean reading and adding too much fuel.
Have you cleaned you MAF recently. Was your front o2 sensor replaced along with the cat?

If I left something loose I’d be incredibly embarrassed, not upset. I’d go over my work again with a fine-toothed comb to ensure I didn’t miss anything outwardly obvious. OPs BIL sounds like he might have a bit lazy knowing he wasn’t getting paid for the job or maybe he’s not lazy but did the job between other jobs and didn’t give it his full attention.

With that said, the OP should have told the BIL directly if he has an issue with something. Kind of annoying that we’re all left here guessing what the dude did re: honing and such.
To be fair, I didn't ask my sister to tell him. I was going to tell him myself, I just mentioned it to her as a point of interest.

I'm wondering if they don't want the cylinders honed because of possible lack of proper cleaning after. I am assuming this piston replacement was done with the block still in the car. Usually after honing the block would be put in the cleaner before assembly. But an in car hone with a dingleberry hone usually just gets some garden hose water and some sprays of WD40, at least for any of the LS based engines my friends and I have built.

The manual stated not to hone the cylinders in this engine. Seems to me the OP would have been much better off if he'd swapped the engine instead of doing all that work with little gain. Junkyard engines from totaled cars aren't that expensive. Many times it's worth it to avoid the headache.

Any pics of the beast? Had an 05 and miss it in many respects.
Here she is:
Linda.jpg

I'm sure you haven't since the rebuild but did you try different brands/weights of oil prior to the rebuild. I've had engines in the past that would burn more of one brand oil than of another of the same weight. If things don't improve with time/miles it might be worth trying.

I'm wondering if they don't want the cylinders honed because of possible lack of proper cleaning after. I am assuming this piston replacement was done with the block still in the car. Usually after honing the block would be put in the cleaner before assembly. But an in car hone with a dingleberry hone usually just gets some garden hose water and some sprays of WD40, at least for any of the LS based engines my friends and I have built.
I've done it. Soap and water with a brush, rinse clean . Wipe with carb cleaner until a paper towel looks clean after wiping. Then a mix of sheafers 132 and motor oil on the cylinder walls.

The manual stated not to hone the cylinders in this engine.
With a stipulation that the factory home marks were still showing. What would a dealership shop do if the home marks weren't still good enough - replace the block or hone it? - the TSB doesn't say. And good enough original home marks is pretty much up to the guy visually looking at it which could vary all over the place.

I would, but I'm afraid to. He got really mad at me when I told my sister some bolts on the valve cover were loose. He did rebuild the engine for free minus parts.
Let him get mad then. Just because the job was free it doesn't mean he can get away with sloppy work and waste your money. Wait and see maybe a couple of more months before you approach him, maybe consumption will improve. It might be too late to try some WOT uphill- downhill break in procedures but what the heck. As far as oil choice goes PUP 5w20 is on the thin side and probably not helping the issue. I would maybe go with something like a QS 5w30 just for now. Regardless, it can't hurt to try, it just might work. Cheers.

I don't think so, look at it this way if the original hone marks are still in the complete bore and no ridge then the bore is going to be okay.
If it was out of round or tapered the crosshatch would be worn in places, that alone would tell me anyway there is something no kosher with this cylinder and probably needs either a re-bore or a hone or both.

The problem I am seeing in this thread is the lack of differentiating between a hone and a glaze busting. Honing a cylinder is a very precise process using specialized machinery that has specific pressures on the tooling and a feed rate that provides the correct finish, this cannot be done with some cheap tooling and an electric drill.

Using a ball hone for glaze busting was at one time very common but it can make a bugger out of an otherwise nice bore. Cylinder glazing is rare today. This is a real honing machine with tooling. At most if all the crosshatch is there clean it with WD40 and lightly with 00 steel wool.
The best example of this are the Subaru engines, they have a piston to bore clearance of only...

Corresponding Grade A and B pistons will have a piston to wall clearance range of . 0023”- . 0031”. The piston to wall clearance gauge point for all Subaru graded pistons is 0.850” from the bottom of the oil ring.

The A and B pistons are very slightly different size so its not hard to imagine the damage a improperly used hone can do.
If the cylinder bores are not pristine on any engine then a machine shop should be consulted and let the folks with the right tooling and experience do it.
As far as the original finish varying all over the place, it is not, the hatch is either there on the whole bore or it isn't, period, if it isnt machine shop time unless you have one of these and know how to use it (I don't own one but I do know how to use it).

Sunnen hone.jpg

hones.jpg

Edit: This is what Sunnen has to say about ring break in. Another myth seemingly busted (as far as most new engines are concerned anyway.

If desired, a second honing operation using specialized tools can follow initial honing to create a plateau finish in which the peaks are uniformly clipped at a consistent level while leaving the valleys untouched. Most engine cylinders today are honed with this plateau surface finish, which increases the bearing area of the bore surface. This means conventional piston ring “break-in” processes are not required and the microscopic peaks that are honed off before the engine is assembled do not end up in the engine oil upon startup.

Last edited:
Does any of us truly know if the cylinder walls are plated? Until we truly know these cylinder walls are standard cast iron, we have to assume you can't hone them, and the piston rings need to be the correct rings for plated cylinders.

Does any of us truly know if the cylinder walls are plated? Until we truly know these cylinder walls are standard cast iron, we have to assume you can't hone them, and the piston rings need to be the correct rings for plated cylinders.
They are said to have a "microfilm lining."

I'm sure you haven't since the rebuild but did you try different brands/weights of oil prior to the rebuild. I've had engines in the past that would burn more of one brand oil than of another of the same weight. If things don't improve with time/miles it might be worth trying.
Come to think of it, I had maxlife synthetic in during the break in and it burned less than the PUP in there now. I figured the opposite would be true, but maybe my car likes Valvoline better. It is certainly a high mileage car other than the pistons.

Back