New Phone Advice

I'm hoping my timing is good since yesterdays release of new IPhone and watch. I had Apple years ago but overall like Android better. My kids and family are all Apple and I'm ready to jump into Apple again. My Samsung 9 + has been beaten to submission. I am not running a business via phone but do care about the imaging and I have concerns over storage size. I have close to 1600 songs (ITunes) and want to access them when hiking or kayaking in remote locations with spotty or no service.

THoughts? What model Apple is recommended?

iPhone 14 Pro Max 128 GB or 256 GB + a USB flash drive for your songs to convert your iPhone into an iPod.

Cool beans, I didn;t realize you could dock a USB on IPhone. Last I knew you needed a "thingy" to allow corded headphones.

A flash drive is not necessary to put songs on an iPhone. I'd venture to say that's the hard way because iPhones have a proprietary port (Lightning).

Should be able to plug the phone into your computer and let it sync.

If you want a bad### camera, get a 14 Pro (or Pro Max), be ready to spend $1000, more if you want extra storage. IMO, 256GB is a minimum since storage is not expandable. You may be able to catch deals on the 13 Pro (or Pro Max) since it's last years model. I'm continued to be impressed with my 13 Pro Max camera.

If you don't care so much about the premier device, look at the 14 or 14 plus or the 13. They have great cameras, just not the premier camera. There's nothing wrong with the 12 either.

The budget minded option is no doubt the iPhone SE, however, it has the smallest screen size of all the options. It's based on the iPhone 8, but has modern chips.

If you're looking to pay cash, look at Apple's refurbished section where you can get an iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max. It's not a spectacular deal, but it's a deal in the Apple world.

For cost reasons (not suggesting it's a concern), always avoid the "latest" model. In a week or so, that will be the iPhone 14. When the 13 had been out for a while, I upgraded to a 12 and am perfectly happy with it. It does have the previous generation CPU but it's a non-issue for someone that just makes phone calls, texts, takes pictures, browses the web, etc, etc. The SE, as someone else mentioned, is actually a good choice and also has the latest CPU.

You have the standard size vs "Plus" models to pick and that will be a 100% personal preference. I like the screen size but holding it (I don't have small hands either) and the weight when it's in my pockets are too much for my tastes.

1600 songs is nothing when it comes to storage requirement/space, at least not on any modern phone. If your songs averaged 4-5 mb each, that's only 6-8 gb of space. The smallest iPhone storage is probably 64gb.

I agree with @Hall when it comes to buying the previous generation phone. Unless the newest one has a feature that's an absolute game changer for you, it's generally not the best value. I say this as an Android user who has taken that approach every couple years through about 5-6 devices.

Well, its all up to you, if the latest features of the phone 14 and watch 8 are worth it to you go for it.
This is a pretty darn good upgrade for those that see value in those safety features.

I can clarify and agree with some posts when I say I will not be going for the 14. I was thinking 13 Pro would be appropriate or a 12. I'm a serious amateur photographer and have higher-end photo equip (Z9, Z7, Z6 and a large lens kit) and I would say if my Samsung 9 is adequate I expect slightly better on a newer phone.

THanks for the advice. It is helping.

The 13 Pro is a solid choice that will provide many years of service through software updates. Apple is known for supporting devices with software and security updates for several years.

iOS 16 is due to come out soon and will support phones that were released in Sept 2017. They even just released a security patch for phones released in 2013.

I can clarify and agree with some posts when I say I will not be going for the 14. I was thinking 13 Pro would be appropriate or a 12. I'm a serious amateur photographer and have higher-end photo equip (Z9, Z7, Z6 and a large lens kit) and I would say if my Samsung 9 is adequate I expect slightly better on a newer phone.

THanks for the advice. It is helping.

For cost reasons (not suggesting it's a concern), always avoid the "latest" model. In a week or so, that will be the iPhone 14. When the 13 had been out for a while, I upgraded to a 12 and am perfectly happy with it. It does have the previous generation CPU but it's a non-issue for someone that just makes phone calls, texts, takes pictures, browses the web, etc, etc. The SE, as someone else mentioned, is actually a good choice and also has the latest CPU.

You have the standard size vs "Plus" models to pick and that will be a 100% personal preference. I like the screen size but holding it (I don't have small hands either) and the weight when it's in my pockets are too much for my tastes.

1600 songs is nothing when it comes to storage requirement/space, at least not on any modern phone. If your songs averaged 4-5 mb each, that's only 6-8 gb of space. The smallest iPhone storage is probably 64gb.
Right, I somehow made a calculation mistake there.

Probably the 256-GB version is the sweet spot, being only $100 more expensive than the 128-GB version. Since he is going to take a lot of pictures, I wouldn't go with the 128-GB version, even though you can store them on Google Photos with a Google One account ($99 a year for 2 TB).

As I also mentioned previously, you can also attach a USB flash drive to transfer photos into it.

I think for the average person/user, more storage (for photos) isn't always a good thing. They simply get too many, they don't back them up, etc. If their phone pukes, they've lost, in some cases, years of photos. Why years ? Because those photos only exist on their phone, then they get a new phone and they get more storage, then a new phone and more storage. My iPhone 12 has 128gb of storage but only 4gb of photos. I routinely delete them all though because they're continually backed up to Google Photos. 80% of users won't do this though....

I think for the average person/user, more storage (for photos) isn't always a good thing. They simply get too many, they don't back them up, etc. If their phone pukes, they've lost, in some cases, years of photos. Why years ? Because those photos only exist on their phone, then they get a new phone and they get more storage, then a new phone and more storage. My iPhone 12 has 128gb of storage but only 4gb of photos. I routinely delete them all though because they're continually backed up to Google Photos. 80% of users won't do this though....
While you raise a valid point, not the case with me.

My thoughts is you need a phone with a SD card and phone jack.
I am part of the "degoogle" movement.
I DON'T recommend Apple, but SE does have jack. you SD for the pictures and your gigs of HD music.

If I was buying now I’d hold out for the 14 Pro/Pro Max. But we recently got the 13 pro and pro max and they’re more than powerful enough, though the new cameras seem nice.

To save $100 on a $1,000 phone that I will probably use for six–eight years or more, which comes to about $1 a month, I won't buy an outdated version that doesn't have the latest 5G frequency bands, has an inferior camera, etc. I will drink one less beer a year. ;)

Back