iPhone transfer without software update

Not a smartphone enthusiast, but use them.
I'm trying to transfer to transfer my data and settings from an 6s+ running ios15 to an SE II running ios16.
Transfering via new phone setup wizard wants to update it to ios17 (right here, right now - no option to decline or do it later) - which I don't want.
Disabling internet or wifi is a show stopper for the above process.

Being ticked off at the lack of choices (but hey, it's OK to harass me on numerous screens with touch ID, Siri and other money makers), I decide to use iTunes (another love story), take backup of the old phone and when it comes to restoring - same crap, you need to set up the phone as new and update to the latest version. Anyone have an idea how it knows it's not the latest version? (computer running iTunes not on internet).

Ideas are welcome, thanks!

via iCloud or iTunes backups

Since the SE runs a newer version of iOS, that shouldn't trigger any demands to update. But make sure the backup is encrypted with a password to capture all the data. Unencryptred backups omit some.

If it insists on doing an update before taking the restore, there may be no other avenues, but my fuzzy recollection is that it can be skipped.

Last edited:
*If you do not want to update, try this:

Set up the new iPhone SE as a new phone, manually by bypassing all of the options to set it up, INCLUDING iCloud info... once you log into iCloud, you than would have to update the IOS... Once the SE is set up as a new device WITHOUT iCloud, THEN sign in to iCloud and download the IOS 17 update if wanted. Once the update is completed, go to settings, erase all content, and then start over. and set up as a new device then sign into iCloud and sync everything over.

*Option 2 without signing into iCloud:

Quick Start can transfer your data from one iPhone to another without using iCloud. If both the source and the destination iPhone use iOS 12.4 or later versions, QuickStart will allow you to transfer your data using the iPhone Migration option.

Put both devices together, switch Bluetooth on your old iPhone, and then follow these steps to wirelessly set up your new iPhone and transfer all data to your new device.

Step 1. Switch on Bluetooth on your previous iPhone and turn on your new iPhone.

Step 2. Place the new iPhone near your old iPhone, and then you will see the Quick Start screen pop up on your source iPhone, showing the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new iPhone.

Step 3. Make sure that's the Apple ID you want to use, and click "Continue."

Step 4. Afterward, you can see an animation on the new iPhone. Hold the old iPhone over the new one, and center the animation in the viewfinder; then, you can see a message saying, "Finish on New iPhone".

Step 5. Enter the passcode of the previous iPhone on the new iPhone.

Step 6. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up FaceID or Touch ID on the new device.

Step 7. Now click "Transfer from iPhone" to start transferring all data from one iPhone to another.

Is iOS 17 still in beta?

Yes using a smart phone the internet and any chipped debit or credit card your footprint is well out there in the cyber world. I mean this in a friendly way but you’re way over thinking this.

You’re actually doing more harm possibly to yourself by not having the latest software/updates you could be missing out on security updates and leaving yourself vulnerable.

BLUF: OP, I’m an expert in the fields of information security and digital forensics. I’d recommend just updating the OS to the newest release and enabling Touch ID; both of these recommendations are for your data protection and your privacy.

Longer explanation: Back in early September, Magnet forensics released an update to a popular imaging tool that forensic examiners use called GrayKey; indicating that it now had support for iOS up to 16.6. Source: https://www.magnetforensics.com/blog/graykey-supports-ios-16-6/

A month later, Apple patched a vulnerability that was affecting all iOS versions up to 16.6 that was being exploited by “attackers” (aka forensic examiners) with physical access to the phones. They also stopped signing multiple versions of iOS 16.X which blocks users from being able to downgrade from iOS 17.
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213972

I’d put money on the “setup a new phone” was probably the service being exploited to gain access to the users’ data. By forcing the older devices to update, it forces the security patch.

You might not like being forced to update, but it’s part of living in the iOS ecosystem, and like it or not, it’s for your protection and privacy.

If you (for some reason), want more of an ability to choose to leave yourself vulnerable to different attacks going forward, go Android now before it gets even more uncomfortable for you.

All that said, I’m on iOS 17.0.3 on an iPhone 12 (3 years old, like your iPhone SE2) with no issues to report.

BLUF: OP, I’m an expert in the fields of information security and digital forensics. I’d recommend just updating the OS to the newest release and enabling Touch ID; both of these recommendations are for your data protection and your privacy.

Longer explanation: Back in early September, Magnet forensics released an update to a popular imaging tool that forensic examiners use called GrayKey; indicating that it now had support for iOS up to 16.6. Source: https://www.magnetforensics.com/blog/graykey-supports-ios-16-6/

A month later, Apple patched a vulnerability that was affecting all iOS versions up to 16.6 that was being exploited by “attackers” (aka forensic examiners) with physical access to the phones. They also stopped signing multiple versions of iOS 16.X which blocks users from being able to downgrade from iOS 17.
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213972

I’d put money on the “setup a new phone” was probably the service being exploited to gain access to the users’ data. By forcing the older devices to update, it forces the security patch.

You might not like being forced to update, but it’s part of living in the iOS ecosystem, and like it or not, it’s for your protection and privacy.

If you (for some reason), want more of an ability to choose to leave yourself vulnerable to different attacks going forward, go Android now before it gets even more uncomfortable for you.

All that said, I’m on iOS 17.0.3 on an iPhone 12 (3 years old, like your iPhone SE2) with no issues to report.
iPhone XR running 17.0.3 feels like it he 1st day I bought this nearly 5 yr old model.

Not a smartphone enthusiast, but use them.
I'm trying to transfer to transfer my data and settings from an 6s+ running ios15 to an SE II running ios16.
Transfering via new phone setup wizard wants to update it to ios17 (right here, right now - no option to decline or do it later) - which I don't want.
Disabling internet or wifi is a show stopper for the above process.

Being ticked off at the lack of choices (but hey, it's OK to harass me on numerous screens with touch ID, Siri and other money makers), I decide to use iTunes (another love story), take backup of the old phone and when it comes to restoring - same crap, you need to set up the phone as new and update to the latest version. Anyone have an idea how it knows it's not the latest version? (computer running iTunes not on internet).

Ideas are welcome, thanks!
I just went through that process. It wanted to update to 17. I can't remember exactly what I did but the new phone upgraded to 16.5 and transfered the data. I didn't get the text messages though. Talked to Apple and he said to connect it to iCloud and it should transfer the messages. It never did. My contacts were slow to come over but they did. I used the 2 phones beside each other method.

I didn’t think it was beta still that’s what confused me. 🙄
Im confused too :unsure: but it looks like you're not, yeah, you're good, not beta. I do tend to delay updating anything major until further updates to a big upgrade come around, there are always glitches. 17.0.3 should be good but when 17.0.0 came out, one could consider that beta ;) (even though officially it isnt)
With all that said, glad your XR runs like a champ... and Ill get out of here now because not sure anything I am saying makes any sense

Don't want to be a beta tester, and I'm a believer in democracy.

17.0.0 I'll agree with you

17.0.1 I'll 50% agree with you, this is where I usually upgrade

We're on 17.0.3 now, it should be pretty solid now, especially an Apple device.

HOWEVER, there is always the possibility of finding a bug later on down the line. That's how it is with all software.

I was dealing with my dad once where he asked me to look over his iPhone for some issues and I figured I'd just approve all the pending updates while I was at it. Got yelled at because he wasn't happy that he had to relearn how to use some apps that hadn't been updated in maybe a year. But now I think he just lets the updates happens and lives with it.

I did hear one comment on a message board about people who are willing to pay a premium for Apple devices that haven't been updated in a while. Where the oldest versions of iOS somehow carry a premium. Seems a bit odd to me, but who knows why some people like stuff that's old.

I was dealing with my dad once where he asked me to look over his iPhone for some issues and I figured I'd just approve all the pending updates while I was at it. Got yelled at because he wasn't happy that he had to relearn how to use some apps that hadn't been updated in maybe a year. But now I think he just lets the updates happens and lives with it.

I did hear one comment on a message board about people who are willing to pay a premium for Apple devices that haven't been updated in a while. Where the oldest versions of iOS somehow carry a premium. Seems a bit odd to me, but who knows why some people like stuff that's old.
There is a racing game I used to play a little too regularly. There was a belief amongst many people that Apple was quicker and that the device mattered as well as the OS level mattered. Some people found their spot and felt updating would slow them down.

Back