New PF64 Ecore Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
The internals are the same as we've seen in other threads and the part number has changed from 12640445 to 12696048. Appearance and diameter are the same, but the new design is 5 mm shorter. Made in the USA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Corvette guys are freaking out over this! They've been buying up all the old ones they can find, not realized they aren't all that great either (we saw one on here with torn media, and who knows how many more are out there)

I always recommend the Wix/NAPA Gold, and if they can find it, the new Fram XG12060.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Weren't the Corvette guys supposed to go to the UPF64R?

It has never been listed as the acceptable alternative to the PF64 actually.

Originally Posted by PR1955
Actually, it is listed as an optional "specialty" filter for Corvettes

Where did you see this? I know there is a TSB telling Corvette owners to use a filter with a 22 psi bypass on it and there is no mention of the UPF64R in that TSB, only the PF64.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...h-new-oil-pump-control-systems-1363.html

Also, in my 2018 owner's manual it only lists the PF64, no mention of the UPF64R at all.

Last edited:
I'd be very leery running the UPF64R on the Corvette. We don't know for sure but have heard it's bypass setting is 35psi, so that's definitely not something I'd be comfortable running on my Corvette that's for sure. I'd rather run a filter with a bypass setting lower than 22 psi than to run one that's higher.

Besides, there is nothing special whatsoever about the UPF64R. It's not like the old Ultraguard Gold AC Delco filters from years ago (like the UPF44) where it was a fully synthetic media and a nice sturdy can with a high burst strength. It's just another poorly made cellulose media filter to avoid IMO.

Originally Posted by Patman
Besides, there is nothing special whatsoever about the UPF64R. It's not like the old Ultraguard Gold AC Delco filters from years ago (like the UPF44) where it was a fully synthetic media and a nice sturdy can with a high burst strength. It's just another poorly made cellulose media filter to avoid IMO.

I ran some of those wire backed full synthetic Ultraguards on my Z06. Back in those days when they first came out, I think the AC Delco Ultraguard was the on the forefront of high efficiency, high flow full synthetic media oil filters.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I ran some of those wire backed full synthetic Ultraguards on my Z06. Back in those days when they first came out, I think the AC Delco Ultraguard was the on the forefront of high efficiency, high flow full synthetic media oil filters.

Those were great filters! I ran them on my 98 Corvette as well. Before that I remember AC Delco had a special filter for the LT1 engine called the PF35L and it used better filtering media too, I ran that on my 95 Trans Am.

All AC DELCO e'core filter will show an E after product # that is PF63 E . Have not seen a PF64 with an E trailing . Please elaborate ?

The PF64 is not an "E-Core" filter. If it's 5mm shorter, then all they are doing is reducing the filtering media. It's not a big deal if you change the oil frequently like I do. I change the oil in my LT4 every 3K-4K miles and any oil filter will do it's job for that duration of mileage. The PF64 is a good filter and I will continue to run it until I may go with the new Fram XG12060 filter when it's readily available.

I got some of the new PF64 oil filters and they are indeed e-core filters internally compared to the older better designed filters. I don't know why they went to the crap e-core design and think it will be ok on the LT4 engine. I will be returning these new filters and seeing if I can find some of the older PF64 filters or go with the new Fram Ultra XG12060 filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
One of the new PF64 already dissected by 53' this subforum, linked. As noted in that thread, it's basically a hybrid design. While it uses the ecore cage, everything else ACD classic metal design.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...4/1/ac-delco-professional-pf-64-cut-open

I saw the pics and while the end caps are metal, I'd rather have the old design which seems more sturdy. I don't like that cheap plastic cage design. It doesn't inspire confidence. I just picked up a bunch of the new Fram Ultra XG12060 for $7.00 each and those are way better than anything AC Delco has. I can run the new XG12060 on my LT4 as it now satisfies the higher pressure specs GM has outlined.

I made no comparison to the previous ACDelco classic design. As a point of information, simply providing a link for those that read here showing the internals of the topic fiilter. 'Imo', it's preferable to the GM ecore which does use poppet type bypass (no combo valve) and personally I don't find the construction objectionable. That said, as I don't use them really couldn't care less.

I cut a newly arrived PF63E and placed alongside of those that did the 5WITS test …
Think they are fine for the money …

E620EC89-6675-4334-B329-4C39C1427B72.jpeg

These filters aren't the bargain they used to be when they were $3 or less (and back then they were built much better too). At the price they charge now, there is no reason to use these filters over a Wix/NAPA Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back