New pet

Cute kitty! Glad you gave her a good home!

Some cats just don't scratch. Two of ours never scratch anything. They have to get their nails clipped often because they turn into razors!

The 3rd cat likes to dig the carpet.

None of them have ever peed in anything but the litter box.

Now hairballs .... That's a different story!

Sorry you lost you a friend , but you gained one in return . Cats take time before they truly reveal themselves .
Oops , should be , " Sorry you lost a friend " . Was one of those days .

Good luck with your new pal. We had a gray tabby female named Smoky in the 1960's. Out hunting one day, she got her rear leg caught in a neighbor's muskrat trap. After surgery and about four weeks in the vet hospital (it was cheap back then), she returned home and lived a decent life except for walking like Chester on Gunsmoke.

She’s warmed up a bit since arriving here. Though she spends 90% of her day behind our bed. At night if I drag her out she will stay out with my wife and I.

Attachments

• 0FB5D4B0-0B5F-4592-9CED-006A269CEC37.jpeg
    0FB5D4B0-0B5F-4592-9CED-006A269CEC37.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9FB92EF0-973A-43DF-82DD-FD4526FC9A94.jpeg
    9FB92EF0-973A-43DF-82DD-FD4526FC9A94.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 28
She’s warmed up a bit since arriving here.

She's just taking her time deciding which one of you will be the primary servant. Best way to get her to come around is to ignore her.

Our last cat was a rescue I wasn't really on board with. I ignored her and wife kinda fussed over her. Of course she picked me to sit beside and follow. It's what evil cats do.

She's just taking her time deciding which one of you will be the primary servant. Best way to get her to come around is to ignore her.

Our last cat was a rescue I wasn't really on board with. I ignored her and wife kinda fussed over her. Of course she picked me to sit beside and follow. It's what evil cats do.
She has hid all day today. Hoping this changes soon.

I know there are plenty of cat owners on here, how long did it take for your cats to feel comfortable roaming around the house?

Depends on the individual cat, and the household. It normally takes at least a week. In your case your cat is still trying to figure out what is going on, because they have no idea why they just moved. They might be depressed and/or confused. It should help a lot if you try to play with them. Try using a piece of string, or something, to get them out of their hiding spot. That worked for me once.

How is she doing by now? IME, females usually take a little longer to adjust and feel comfortable in a new home.

If you get her a scratching post, get this type. It’s the best post I ever bought. I have 2 of them and they are over 5 years old and still in good shape, and the cat uses it all the time. They are nice and tall at 32” so the cat and stretch when using it. The carpeted posts are junk. They fall apart quickly and make a mess with carpet fibers all over the place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000634MH8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_PM8W1YYC2B1R5XE883ET

Attachments

• 5AC51D01-C87B-47BB-A9D6-CC78103E17A3.jpeg
    5AC51D01-C87B-47BB-A9D6-CC78103E17A3.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 10
  • F2D35A8C-4377-4866-938E-C54D5B6E0CD6.jpeg
    F2D35A8C-4377-4866-938E-C54D5B6E0CD6.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Have to be concerned of the pieces of carpet that the cat may eat . We had a cat that loved plastic bags . If you weren't paying attention he would grab it from your hand and run off with it . Didn't get it back that easily .

She's much more comfortable now, but does hide from our close to 2 year old (understandably).
Kids, especially that age, are a little much for adult cats sometimes. Even if your kid understands not petting too hard and not pulling tails, just the energy/excitement may make the cat nope out. It may be good to try playing with a laser (obviously make sure your kid knows to avoid eyes), and maybe a feather toy. Tossable toys can be good too. Encourage gentle petting, and teach them to back off if the cat seems agitated (tail flipping is the #1 sign usually).

Also some cats just like being under beds, that's not an uncommon spot for them to claim, though their demeanor will tell you what's going on. Crouched/hunkered down and tensed up means anxiety/fear, laid out/relaxed means they probably just found their own space.

Back