Feline Nutrition

Kitty needs to eat cat food not chicken breasts only. They are fortified with taurine and nutrients they need.

I have two cats and they split a can of purina one twice a day (wet), and are left a minimal amount of purina one dry. Always new stainless steel dishes washed in the dishwasher. Fresh water twice a day, out of a dishwasher cleaned dish.

I give greenies once in a while they are not big snackers though.

merrick duck.jpg

MERRICK-Limited-Ingredient-Diet-Grain-Free-Real-Turkey-Pate-Recipe-Canned-Cat-Food.jpg

Thankfully, my Wife is severely allergic to cats so we will never have one of those uppity creatures.

Cats that do that, and living in the wild, probably only live 6-8 years whereas a lot of cats go 15+ years indoors with guaranteed food and shelter.
Exactly. A entire species thriving and individual organisms thriving cannot always be measured the same. The animals we have domesticated have not thrived because of any other reason than their adaptability to humans. In my opinion, the best diet for dogs and cats is a mixture of commercially available, dry food and wet food, and occasional table scraps.

try diamond active cat or chicken soup brand chicken and rice,,,mix a bit of water and cottage cheese in it,been doing this a long time,,sometimes a can tuna mixed in also

Cat food that comes from Cheweys. I just deal with what is left out the back end of the cat.. I'm the official poop box attendant. It's called Premier Five Star cat box service. Catering only to the sophisticated cat. Our motto is "No Turd Left Behind"

Dry food tends to be problematic because cats don't necessarily drink enough and then they dehydrate. That leads easily to kidney failure. Good canned wet food is alright so you don't have to cook for your cats.
I agree 100% to me personally dry food for any animal is dangerous.
It’s super heated, dried out, processed meat that creates cancer causing chemicals even for humans. The protein from this kibble is altered so drastically from what it was originally.

Canned food is much less processed stuck in a can and cooked in the can.
I think your recipes for your cat are perfect as we do much the same with our dog

We rotate on a daily basis, different canned foods from different manufactures in case something is lacking in one that isn’t in the other or one has too much of one thing which the other one won’t have.

We top it off with rotisserie chicken or human, canned Alaskan salmon or many other things.

The human being would not be healthy if they ate the same product day in and day out from the same manufacturer, the pet is no different.
I’m kind of passionate about the subject and super thrilled to see somebody post what you did if that’s worth anything at all

I have had cats since the late 1950'. Pet food is simultaneously worse than ever and better than ever!

Dry food is likely causing allergies. GMO is doing no one any favour.

Supplement wet meals with a quality dry food that is grain free. If you find one let me know.
Don't feed a lot. Dry kibble is calories rich. In contrast wet food is over 75% water.

Give a majority diet of wet food, I like Merrick Real Duck and limited Ingredient Turkey
In Pate grind only

have plenty of cool fresh water available.

Play and exercise is important. Play and hunt before feeding, Grooming at rest after.

No Milk No fish.

I haven't tried eggs.

p.s.: I would stay away from IAM's and Hill's Science Death, uh I mean Diet.

ALSO STAY AWAY FROM food that has cellulose and wood pulp as fibre!

- Ken
Rain free is not necessarily carb, free. Dry food can and usually is packed with carbs from things such as rice, potatoes, please etc. I use Dr. Elsie's very low carb dry food with wet food also

We've been having issues with our 11 yo indoor male losing wgt, 12 down to 8 lbs. Still very active. Blood work good at vet 1. Vet 2 Thyroid was at low end (or high, I forget) and we asked her to put him on meds cuz he was driving us nuts crying for food every 2 hours. Also de bugged him, tapeworms. It's been a month, and he's at 8.5 lbs. We are getting 4 hours between feeds now, and he doen't feel so bony. He has always gotten a rush after chowing down, rips thru the house 90 mph, jumps all the way on top of the shower door. Anyway tried various wet foods (he has gum disease and has lost teeth so can't eat dry food anymore) from the vet and now just HEB cat food, the only big cans left. They like it and we give the other cat dental chews. Some tuna 2x a month or so.
IMG_1686.JPG

Back