New Pennzoil Platinum PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
You can buy 5 quarts of PP for $20 now. M1 is $23.

$22...

Depends where you live, but most Walmart's are now charging $22.00 for 5-quart container of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Patman
What about a year or two ago when everyone was getting PP for 99 cents a quart?

Different circumstances. PP is now well established, while not as much so two years ago.

I suspect Wal-Mart is the single largest retailer for PP, along with many other oil brands.

Walmart obviously has enough clout with oil companies to get them to put their product in 5-quart containers when all the AutoZones, Advance Auto Parts, etc. still have 4-quart containers (with a few exceptions). Now that Mobil 1 is a major sponsor of BITOG, I figured it would only be a matter of time before the pendulum would start to swing again. Perhaps the unabashed PP love affair of so many BITOG members is finally ending? Or at least maybe the honeymoon's over? People always love to throw in behind the sales challenger and bash the sales champion. I'm not saying PP isn't as good as M1 in its chemistry and performance. However, M1, I have to believe, smokes PP in synthetic oil sales nationwide, making it the king of the hill that everyone else wants to knock off. Just an observation from a fan of neither of these oils (although I would be willing to try them).

I couldn't find his post but we had a Pennzoil member on BITOG (not Johnny) who said that they often switch base oils based on supply and suppliers. Depends on the market. FWIW.

Originally Posted By: erogers
However, M1, I have to believe, smokes PP in synthetic oil sales nationwide, making it the king of the hill that everyone else wants to knock off. Just an observation from a fan of neither of these oils (although I would be willing to try them).

The only way PP or any other brand of synthetic oil will displace Mobil 1 as the market leader in synthetic sales will be if ExxonMobil goes out of business. They have such a huge market share lead, none of us will see it happen in our lifetime.

Here is a pic of the PP badge on the jugs at Walmart in Canada. No mention of Walmart on these ones.
PPfront.jpg

PPBack.jpg

I think that it's possible that there are just variations in the spec as a result of the latest of the testing that is regularly done. It would be interesting to find copies of all of the tech specs over the years to see the variations.
I have only been able to come up with three tech sheets for Platinum. Aug, 05, Feb 08, and Apr 09. All list 5W-30 SM GF-4 oil. The tests with the most variations are

Test Aug 05 Feb 08 Apr 09

Pour point°C -45 -45 -39

MRV °C 6,600(-35) 15,700(-35) 14,800(-35)

CCS °C 4,410(-30) 5,200(-35) 5,150(-35)

Nowack % 12.5 11.6 12.5

I know that there were sheets out between 05 and 08 and I seem to recall that at least one (07 I think) also listed the pour point at -39 but can not recall the Nowack.

Does anyone have all of the Tech sheets for Pennzoil Platinum?

doesn't look like that large of a difference . If doing short O.C.s' due to warranty shouldn't be a concern . Maybe someone will post a U.O.A. of the new PLATINUM in time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back