New Pennzoil Platinum PDS

I wonder if the specs for the euro grades underwent a similar transformation. I can't find the euro grade PDS that they mention in that document...

JAG

I'm not liking the volatilities. 12.5% for 5W-30. That's barely under the limit for ACEA A5/B5. 14% for 0W-20. That's barely under the limit for API SM and ACEA A1/B1. Synpower viscosity grades are less volatile for all XW-20 and XW-30 grades.

Ben99GT

I can't find the Euro PDS either. Here is the previous PP PDS though:

Ben99GT

CCS have improved slightly. It looks like 5W-30 was hit the hardest. I wonder if they removed/reduced PAO in that grade?

[censored]! I was going to start using PP again, but now that they want to cheapen it I'll go elsewhere. I might even try Mobil 1 0w30... I'd really like to find some Castrol Edge on clearance.

Whoaah....how is it "cheapened"? I agree the volatility is higher than some other oils but that is just one factor. PP meets many stringent specs. It's a great oil!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The previous specs of PP vs QSHP. I wonder if they're rebottling Quaker State Horse Power?
Maybe...

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
GF-5 allows higher volitility.
It does?

Ben99GT

Originally Posted By: buster
Whoaah....how is it "cheapened"? I agree the volatility is higher than some other oils but that is just one factor. PP meets many stringent specs. It's a great oil!
I for one am not claiming it is no longer a great oil, it's just when I see volatility and pour point degrade simultaneously it just makes me wonder if Wal-Mart was a consideration in the reformulation. No doubt the minor change in specs will have little to no consequence in the real world.

JHZR2

Staff member
Im noticing that for the 5w-30, the cold temperature pumping specs are superior in the newer oil, and it is slightly more viscous at temperature, with a very slight bump in HT/HS. Pour point tells little to nothing practical. Volatilit is important, but how the oil works and serves, indicated via UOA wear rates, TBN retention, viscosity staying in grade and oxidation remaining in check would be more important... and Id sa the oil will wear better thanks to the slightly higher HTHS.

I've still got 10 quarts of PP 5W30 that was bottled in April 2007, so I'm good (assuming the oil is still OK after sitting for 2+ years).

Quote:
Pour point tells little to nothing practical. Volatilit is important, but how the oil works and serves, indicated via UOA wear rates, TBN retention, viscosity staying in grade and oxidation remaining in check would be more important... and Id sa the oil will wear better thanks to the slightly higher HTHS.
+1

wonder if SHELL or QUAKER STATE synthetics have done the same since they too are S.O.P.U.S..

Last edited: