New Pennzoil Platinum PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Whoaah....how is it "cheapened"? I agree the volatility is higher than some other oils but that is just one factor.

PP meets many stringent specs. It's a great oil!

Thank you!!! The reason why I love reading your posts. It unbiased. People on this site look at numbers more than real life testing. I would rather use a cheap oil that produces great results then one that looks good on paper and produces good results.

Wow, that's just great, I recently switched from M1 to PP after reading the great things about it on this site, and getting it for $20 per 5Q jug at W-mart.

The front label on the jug is specific for W-Mart, since there is mention about returning the used oil for recycling to W-mart on it. This is printed directly on the main label, not an add-on sticker, so there IS retailer-specific bottling going on for PP.....

I hope the oil in the jugs is the same for all retailers, and W-mart isn't passing off some Bentonville AK concoction of haggled stuff....The back label says distributed by Sopus Products of Houston. There is also a date of April 2, 2009 on the bottle.

http://www.pennzoil-quakerstate.com/techdata/l7_msds_fs.htm

There is retailer specific labeling, not bottling. Pennzoil isn't going to make a lesser version of Platinum for Walmart. If they did, they'd make the lesser version for everyone.

I wouldn't worry about the changes. If anything, SOPUS most likely improved the formulation. I have 8 jugs left of the old formulation to go through and wouldn't hesitate to use the new stuff when I run out.

I'm still going to run PP in my Mustang.

I do not for one second think there is a Wal-Mart specific formulation, just a label on the Wal-Mart specific 5-quart jug.

I bought 6 jugs of 5w30 PP at Walmart here in Canada for $21 a pop. Hard to beat the price, as most dino oils are $20 a jug here.

It's barely changed people. It was never a particularly incredible oil on paper, it just does very well consistently via UOA. Unless the TBN dropped 20%, I'm not concerned with what I'm seeing.

I agree with Joe. You can find weaknesses in any oil. Platinum uses high quality base oils and a very good additive package.

I think it's funny that some are not using it because volatility is a tad higher, yet when you look at some of the tests PP passes, it's clearly a great oil. ACEA A1/B1, A5,B5, GM 4718M & Acura HTO-06.

I still think it's a little coincidental that the new PDS comes out right around the same time there's a roll back on Wal-Mart prices.

But I also agree that the changes will make very little to no real world differences to 99% of drivers.

The Mustang will continue to see PP, but this latest PDS just shows PP going in a direction that is exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for.

The real question is why would Pennzoil change their formulation on such a good oil? If it is truly because of pricing, then I would much rather be using M1 for the same price.

-ttvr4

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I still think it's a little coincidental that the new PDS comes out right around the same time there's a roll back on Wal-Mart prices.

What about a year or two ago when everyone was getting PP for 99 cents a quart? That's a lot cheaper than it is now at Walmart, and yet they didn't reformulate for that.

I for one don't believe they cheapened it up, nor do I believe that Walmart could possibly have that much influence over them. Walmart might be able to squeeze more money out of vendors that sell 95% of their product in their stores, but I'm sure Pennzoil Platinum sales at Walmart are only a drop in the bucket compared to all the other places it's sold. So Pennzoil wouldn't buckle under any of Walmart's lower price pressure tactics.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

What about a year or two ago when everyone was getting PP for 99 cents a quart? That's a lot cheaper than it is now at Walmart, and yet they didn't reformulate for that.

I for one don't believe they cheapened it up, nor do I believe that Walmart could possibly have that much influence over them. Walmart might be able to squeeze more money out of vendors that sell 95% of their product in their stores, but I'm sure Pennzoil Platinum sales at Walmart are only a drop in the bucket compared to all the other places it's sold. So Pennzoil wouldn't buckle under any of Walmart's lower price pressure tactics.

I agree. I'm sure Kragen, Autozone, etc. pushes more oil than WalMart. Maybe Pennzoil is cutting cost by reformulating PP? Who knows...

-ttvr4

Originally Posted By: KilgoreBass
The front label on the jug is specific for W-Mart, since there is mention about returning the used oil for recycling to W-mart on it. This is printed directly on the main label, not an add-on sticker, so there IS retailer-specific bottling going on for PP.....

Same as the labels for Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge (not sure about other Castrol 5-quart jugs).

Walmart is the 800-lb gorilla of retail, and they deal directly with the manufacturers (no distributors or "middle men") on many products, which is one reason they have such good prices.

As already mentioned, this does not in any way mean that the products are different than found at other retailers.

I have a feeling Wal-Mart sells more Pennzoil product than any single retail source. Wal-Mart would be a big retail customer for any oil company. I'm not saying they'd bottle a special batch for Wal-Mart, but I bet they jump through a few hoops if pushed. JMO

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
I agree. I'm sure Kragen, Autozone, etc. pushes more oil than WalMart. Maybe Pennzoil is cutting cost by reformulating PP? Who knows...

-ttvr4

That is pure bunk on both counts. Walmart sells more motor oil than any other retailer by far (not counting oil change shops).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back