New Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 SN PDS -2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
dailydriver, you already got the NOACK figure of the Sustina 0W-20 which is 13%. I suspect it's 13-14% for all of the OEM 0W-20s. I don't think it is technically possible to formulate a very high light 0W-20 oil that use a 4cSt base oil with a NOACK percentage much below that.

True, I forgot about that.

I am in contact with, and in the process of getting the FULL specs on the Mazda branded, Idemitsu GF-5 with moly 0W-20, and will post them when they get back to me (most likely after all of the holidays
frown.gif
) for all to peruse.
wink.gif

Since we are on NOACK; the figures for the MPT 30K oils is; 5.6% for their 0W-30 (with a VERY high 3.5 HTHSV, I found out), and ~6.5% for their 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
CATERHAM said:
I am in contact with, and in the process of getting the FULL specs on the Mazda branded, Idemitsu GF-5 with moly 0W-20, and will post them when they get back to me (most likely after all of the holidays
frown.gif
) for all to peruse.
wink.gif

Looking forward to that. Honda/Acura Canada is still just getting the Idemistsu GF-4 oil which I find odd at this late date.

Quote:

Since we are on NOACK; the figures for the MPT 30K oils is; 5.6% for their 0W-30 (with a VERY high 3.5 HTHSV, I found out), and ~6.5% for their 0W-40.

That's because they're using heavy base oils with no VIIs.
RL 5W-30 with a similar VI has a NOACK of 6%.
More impressive is the FUCHS Titan GT1 0W-20. A 172 VI with no additional VIIs and a very low 6% NOACK for a HTHSV 2.75cP oil.
The oils still too heavy for my likely but impressive nonetheless. I know you lust after this stuff, so if you ever come up to Ontario let me know and we'll see if we can't get you some.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway

Utter nonsense.
All GF-5 oils whether they be high VI or otherwise must meet the same deposit control standards.

Not true. 0w20 oil does not have to meet the TEOST 33C requirements.

"Note: No TEOST 33C limit for SAE 0W-20"
http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/testing/

Fair enough, the simulated turbocharger deposit test.
Of course this tread is about 0W-20 oils.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes i believe the numbers for PU NOAK in all grades are correct. High VI oils are said to cause deposits under certain circumstances and when that is combined with a lousy NOAK value its not looking good.

I think I'd agree with that. While it's great to have at least a "reasonable" VI, I don't think I'd want to have the highest possibly VI as a tradeoff of other important specifications.

I might agree with the point that using a 0w-20 has certain benefits when a 5w-20 is specified, but let's be reasonable. CATERHAM likes the high VI, but he doesn't push his OCIs, either. As for how important NOACK is with 20 grades in DI, I guess we'll have to see. Maybe the manufacturers will revert to 30 grades for DI anyhow.
wink.gif

As for those speaking about 15% NOACK and where it is and isn't acceptable, do check the ACEA specifications and dexos1. I think it's 13% for most ACEA specs and probably around 14% for dexos1.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
I am no expert, nor know how to calculate the #..
but i am wondering, is VI a more important indicator for 0w-xx oil then 5w-x0 or 10w-x0 oil? my thinking is, because the 0w oil is so thin at the low temperature, it's become vital to make sure it can have some sort to "thickness" at higher temperature. it's probably not an issue for 5w or even 10w to maintain film thickness (or whatever the BITOGer's expert calling it) at high temperature. and so, the VI is an more of an issue for 0w oil. is my thinking make sense?
and if this NOACK # on PP 0w20 is real, then the # for Pennzoil Platinum 5w20/30 can be real as well, yes? remember there were debate on PU's Noack # at that time, I don't recall many believe the number on the product info sheet.

You can use a number of online tools to calculate VI from the kinematic viscosities at 40*C and 100*C. This one from Widman is popular.

I wouldn't say that VI is more important in 0w20 oils than it is in any other grade. It's an important metric to consider for all grades along with other fluid properties and performance metrics including NOACK.

The real questions are which oil has adequate HTHS viscosity and the best cold start properties for your engine and service scenario throughout the OCI? And, which oil has the best additive package to serve your engine and service scenario? Those questions are not easy to answer.

For instance, M1 0w20 substantially outperforms Toyota Genuine 0w20 (made by Exxon/Mobil) at extremely cold temperatures, while TGMO is better at more moderate temperatures. So for someone who occasionally must start their car at -30*C, but usually starts their car at around -8*C, which one is better? How much cold start wear does M1 save you at -30*C vs TGMO at 0*C? Is it 5:1? 2:1? 1:1? Nobody really knows. How about ease of starting? Is your engine's starter marginal at those temps? These issues are compounded by the fact that most of the qualification tests do not specify performance for aged oil.

Many engines are now coming with direct fuel injection, some also with turbochargers. These engines tend to be hard on oil, especially the turbocharged ones. They show high amounts of fuel dilution and deposits on intake valves and combustion chambers formed at least partially of oil ingested through the PCV system. In these engines, oils with low NOACK volatility have shown to resist fuel dilution and valve deposits better than high-NOACK oils. Low NOACK oils also tend to have low VI. For those engines, I'd choose a low-NOACK oil like Pennzoil Ultra, VI be darned.

EDIT: Seriously? I have to say "darned" around here instead of the more common word to avoid the censor? I certainly understand censoring the F and S words, but really?

Last edited:
Hi Garak

Correct. Noack is lower in standards like dexos but my point is that Pennzoil, widely trusted, and in some cases trusted above the manufacturer, has PYB Noack at just under 15% across 20, 30 and 40 weight oils specified for many many domestic and Asian autos.

Now if a lower Noack is more desirable, that requirement is in fact being driven by manufacturers. Some require a lower Noack than others. Might we say that GM is wrong because they don't go as low as the Europeans? No, we just say they are going as low as required for their engines. Why might the same not be true of Asian OEMs who are still below the Noack levels that most have adhered to for a while and still below the excellent PYB

Utter nonsense.
All GF-5 oils whether they be high VI or otherwise must meet the same deposit control standards.

Not true. 0w20 oil does not have to meet the TEOST 33C requirements.

"Note: No TEOST 33C limit for SAE 0W-20"
http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/testing/

Here's the TEOST 33C test protocol: LINK

First off, folks can make a determination as to whether or not this set is relevant to their use. Given that I can't think of any turbos that currently spec 0W20, I'm having a hard time seeing it. I'm sure some will interpret this to mean that an oil that meets this spec is "better", since some people don't understand the basic principle of "suitability"--but that fact is, if you don't have a turbo, the results on this test aren't relevant unless you've got some serious mechanical issues going on...

Secondly, there's zero evidence that high VI oils leave more deposits, yet this gets tossed around as fact. I do find the relativism of proof to be pretty funny though: "just because it's published in some magazine doesn't make it proof" suddenly becomes "someone post a while back on an internet forum"... It's an interesting way to look at things...

While this thread may be about 0w20, you consistently recommend your favorite high VI 0w20 oils to people with 5w20 applications. You've said many times you don't think there's any reason for synthetic 5w20 to exist.

Would you recommend a high VI 0w20 to the owner of a new Ford 1.6l Ecoboost? Be honest. I suspect you would have before I pointed out the TOEST requirements.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Correct. Noack is lower in standards like dexos but my point is that Pennzoil, widely trusted, and in some cases trusted above the manufacturer, has PYB Noack at just under 15% across 20, 30 and 40 weight oils specified for many many domestic and Asian autos.

I'm not sure, but aside from the DI and other deposit issues, there may be some relation between length of OCI and desirability of a lower NOACK. I've also read on here from a very knowledgeable source that with certain direct injection engines, it may be beneficial to not change the oil too early. So, I guess I'm not sure. It's clear that a NOACK of around 15% meets most specs, while a NOACK of 13% meets almost all of them, and the oil companies and manufacturers by and large have been happy with that, with a few producing products with much lower scores. The same applies to VI, though, too. Plenty of oils have mediocre VIs, with a few having extremely high ones, and the oil companies and manufacturers have been happy with it, too.

We also do tend to see lower NOACKs in older grades, such as 10w-30, versus the 5w-30 or 0w-30.

And the PYB 5w20 Noack at 14.7% is lower than the PYB 5w30 and 10w40 Noack

And Pennzoil say the 5w20 is suitable for Ford Honda Toyota Chrysler Nissan

And that 5w30 is suitable for the remaining Asian and US brands

And that's with Noack at the same levels as their 10w40 which is suitable for older vehicles and some high temp applications

So Pennzoil certainly thinks Noack at just under 15% is fine pretty much everywhere except German engines it seems

A NOACK of less than 15% is perfectly acceptable for a conventional oil.

So to recap PYB would have a similar NOACK, similar drain interval, similar HTHS viscosity and cost half as much.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

A NOACK of less than 15% is perfectly acceptable for a conventional oil.

So to recap PYB would have a similar NOACK, similar drain interval, similar HTHS viscosity and cost half as much.

Toyota allow twice the oci on synthetic on most of their vehicles

And of course there is the high VI that they are recommending for improved fuel economy

So if you're focusing on the cost aspect, PYB could be more expensive

Originally Posted By: JOD

First off, folks can make a determination as to whether or not this set is relevant to their use. Given that I can't think of any turbos that currently spec 0W20, I'm having a hard time seeing it. I'm sure some will interpret this to mean that an oil that meets this spec is "better", since some people don't understand the basic principle of "suitability"--but that fact is, if you don't have a turbo, the results on this test aren't relevant unless you've got some serious mechanical issues going on...

Secondly, there's zero evidence that high VI oils leave more deposits, yet this gets tossed around as fact. I do find the relativism of proof to be pretty funny though: "just because it's published in some magazine doesn't make it proof" suddenly becomes "someone post a while back on an internet forum"... It's an interesting way to look at things...

This is a bit of a wall of text, my apologies.

Many assume that 0w20 can be safely used in any 5w20 application, so the fact that the requirements for 0w20 are less strict should become more common knowledge. Ford's new Ecoboost 1.6l specs 5w20 and probably shouldn't use 0w20 because of TEOST.

Turbochargers aren't the only place where oil sees high temperatures which can lead to deposits. VW TDI engines starting in ~1999 specified synthetic oil not because of the turbo, but because the rings were very close to the top of the piston to maximize compression, thus subjecting the oil to high temperatures and potential deposit formation. In more recent times I'm thinking particularly of Ford products with direct injection. Ford's proprietary spec is substantially stricter than GF-5, more like ACEA A1/B1 and none of the high VI 0w20 oils claim to meet A1/B1, though I think Fuchs Titan GT1 is "recommended for".

Speaking of ACEA standards, you're correct that there's no evidence that the high VI oils cause more deposits, but as I said, none of them claim ACEA A1/B1, while most of the lower VI 0w20 oils from major makers do. The biggest areas of divergence between GF-5 and A1/B1 are in piston deposits, wear and sludge, with A1/B1 substantially more strict. Is it possible, even probable, that the high VI oils actually meet the ACEA standards, but their makers choose not to certify them? Maybe, but all things equal, I'd select the oil that meets both GF-5 and A1/B1.

We should be clear that we're talking about more than one kind of deposit here, there are piston deposits, varnish/sludge and other deposits within the lubricated parts of the engine, and there are the oil's contribution to intake manifold, intake valve and combustion chamber deposits. The former is quite well controlled by the certification requirements, the latter is not.

Some question the relevance of NOACK, but if it weren't an important performance metric in many engines, ILSAC wouldn't have put it in the qualification program, and GM wouldn't have put even tighter requirements on Dexos oils. Any oil components which volitize will end up in the intake through the PCV system and will degrade the effective octane of the intake charge and possibly form deposits on the intake valves and combustion chambers. SOPUS chooses to use deposit formation as a differentiating factor for their top tier Ultra product vs other SOPUS products and their competitors. NOACK is part of that and SOPUS has stated that they also designed Ultra to burn cleanly which helps prevent combustion deposits.

Many of us who are crazy enough to read and post about motor oil on the internet are looking for performance beyond the minimum requirements of the specifications. As you correctly state, “better” would imply that one product is at least as good as another in every performance metric. Unfortunately that situation only happens in the real world if cost is not considered a performance metric. High quality oils represent the opportunity to allocate excess performance to areas which are most important to us. While there may be no direct evidence that high-VI oils cause more deposits, there is also no evidence that they reduce startup wear. Even if they do, that wear may not be relevant to the vehicle owner, as I said above, engines have outlasted bodywork since the days of GF-2 conventional 5w30. The only way we know high VI oils outperform their lower VI counterparts is in fuel economy, and the benefits there are incredibly small.

I say all of this having made a substantial effort to use the high VI Idemitsu oil in my Honda. I'm not opposed to ultra-high VI oils, I just think we need to be realistic about the benefits, mostly a teeny-weeny improvement in city fuel economy. They’re not the answer to every question, though many around here seem to think they are. They were originally designed for hybrid cars, which I suspect see substantially more variation in oil temperatures than regular cars due to stop-start and pure EV modes. This variation in temperature combined with the hybrid’s focus on fuel economy makes intermediate temperature viscosity unusually important in that application. Other combinations of car, owner and driving call for other oils.

Nicely argued gpshumway

+1 very well written and explained, in fact the best I've seen to date on this topic! It could also explain why Amsoil, Red Line, SOPUS, and others aren't jumping on the high VI bandwagon yet. They could very easily do so if they felt it was beneficial. It has been said many times before on this site, there is always a trade off. IMO the trade off might be slight increase in fuel economy, at the expense of a slight decrease in engine protection. Does it matter in the real world? Maybe, maybe not. I'm less concerned with mpg, and more concerned with engine protection and wear reduction.

The other thing we keep hearing about is start up wear protection. There was a thread saying 40% of wear occurs at start up and while the engine is reaching operating temps. I'd rather reduce the other 60% of wear, since there always seems to be a trade off. Maybe these oil companies not pushing the high VI oils are after that. Factual data and engine tear downs proving either side of this argument have not been shown here, lots of opinions. JMO

Originally Posted By: JOD

This is a bit of a wall of text, my apologies.

Many assume that 0w20 can be safely used in any 5w20 application, so the fact that the requirements for 0w20 are less strict should become more common knowledge. Ford's new Ecoboost 1.6l specs 5w20 and probably shouldn't use 0w20 because of TEOST.

Turbochargers aren't the only place where oil sees high temperatures which can lead to deposits. VW TDI engines starting in ~1999 specified synthetic oil not because of the turbo, but because the rings were very close to the top of the piston to maximize compression, thus subjecting the oil to high temperatures and potential deposit formation. In more recent times I'm thinking particularly of Ford products with direct injection. Ford's proprietary spec is substantially stricter than GF-5, more like ACEA A1/B1 and none of the high VI 0w20 oils claim to meet A1/B1, though I think Fuchs Titan GT1 is "recommended for".

Speaking of ACEA standards, you're correct that there's no evidence that the high VI oils cause more deposits, but as I said, none of them claim ACEA A1/B1, while most of the lower VI 0w20 oils from major makers do. The biggest areas of divergence between GF-5 and A1/B1 are in piston deposits, wear and sludge, with A1/B1 substantially more strict. Is it possible, even probable, that the high VI oils actually meet the ACEA standards, but their makers choose not to certify them? Maybe, but all things equal, I'd select the oil that meets both GF-5 and A1/B1.

We should be clear that we're talking about more than one kind of deposit here, there are piston deposits, varnish/sludge and other deposits within the lubricated parts of the engine, and there are the oil's contribution to intake manifold, intake valve and combustion chamber deposits. The former is quite well controlled by the certification requirements, the latter is not.

Some question the relevance of NOACK, but if it weren't an important performance metric in many engines, ILSAC wouldn't have put it in the qualification program, and GM wouldn't have put even tighter requirements on Dexos oils. Any oil components which volitize will end up in the intake through the PCV system and will degrade the effective octane of the intake charge and possibly form deposits on the intake valves and combustion chambers. SOPUS chooses to use deposit formation as a differentiating factor for their top tier Ultra product vs other SOPUS products and their competitors. NOACK is part of that and SOPUS has stated that they also designed Ultra to burn cleanly which helps prevent combustion deposits.

Many of us who are crazy enough to read and post about motor oil on the internet are looking for performance beyond the minimum requirements of the specifications. As you correctly state, “better” would imply that one product is at least as good as another in every performance metric. Unfortunately that situation only happens in the real world if cost is not considered a performance metric. High quality oils represent the opportunity to allocate excess performance to areas which are most important to us. While there may be no direct evidence that high-VI oils cause more deposits, there is also no evidence that they reduce startup wear. Even if they do, that wear may not be relevant to the vehicle owner, as I said above, engines have outlasted bodywork since the days of GF-2 conventional 5w30. The only way we know high VI oils outperform their lower VI counterparts is in fuel economy, and the benefits there are incredibly small.

I say all of this having made a substantial effort to use the high VI Idemitsu oil in my Honda. I'm not opposed to ultra-high VI oils, I just think we need to be realistic about the benefits, mostly a teeny-weeny improvement in city fuel economy. They’re not the answer to every question, though many around here seem to think they are. They were originally designed for hybrid cars, which I suspect see substantially more variation in oil temperatures than regular cars due to stop-start and pure EV modes. This variation in temperature combined with the hybrid’s focus on fuel economy makes intermediate temperature viscosity unusually important in that application. Other combinations of car, owner and driving call for other oils.

Exceptionally well-written post. Clear and concise. Bravo sir
thumbsup2.gif

Nicely argued gpshumway

+1

This is why Mobil 1 0w20 and PP 0w20 etc. are better for turbo's and more high performanc eriented engines than the TGMO and Mazda 0w20.

Mobil 1 0w20 meets ACEA-08/10 and at one time met GM 4718M.

TGMO doesn't. Now many cars may not need an oil like that because their engines will never see those temps, but it's an example of where VI alone doesn't give you the entire picture.

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the requirements of
ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back