New Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 SN PDS -2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
There is little doubt that the Japanese OEMs and their partners have "dumped all kinds of money into formulating their high VI oils". The fact that the product is cost effective to the consumer holds no relationship to what it actually cost to develop or to produce.

I'm just trying to determine why we see such wide swings in VIs from the regular branded offering by the big companies versus those we see from the OEMs. Is there a tradeoff? They are obviously not identical lubes. As for price, one does tend to equate a lower cost product with one that costs less to produce; that certainly isn't an unreasonable assumption.
wink.gif

I'd agree with this if the distribution models where the same, but they aren't. I don't think oil sales are a big consideration for Mazda or Toyota, but they certainly are for SOPUS and Mobil, etc. There also aren't a lot of associated costs in the distribution and marketing of their lubricants. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were much less margin in the OEM lubricants.

We can see why a company like PC would want to have a high VI and good extreme cold weather specifications. While they're an oil company and not a car manufacturer worried about fuel economy or concerns for in house engines, they have at least a feasible reason for what they produce - Canadian winter. That may or may not be the case, but on the face of it, it fits.

So, why wouldn't something like Pennzoil synthetic 0w-20 have a better VI than it does? This is the discrepancy I'm trying to reconcile. I would think there is some kind of tradeoff. Cost? Easier to meet certain other specifications?

Or perhaps there's simply no reason, and that's just the way it's done. After all, Imperial Oil says Mobil Super 1000 is designed with Canadian winters in mind, though their extreme cold weather specs are not impressive.

Obviously it's all speculation, but my guess is that cost plays a part. After all, putting a commercial on during the Superbowl extolling the virtues of a high viscosity index is a pretty hard sell to effectively communicate to the average buyer in 20 or 30 seconds; "40% cleaner" just sounds easier to digest. I just don't think a having a high VI is an important sales consideration for oil manufacturers, and ultimately they're in the business of selling oil. Note to those who will automatically create a strawman argument out of what I just said: I'm not saying that they're making a lousy product. I am saying that the composition of the product is a result of many factors, profit margin being one of them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
So, why wouldn't something like Pennzoil synthetic 0w-20 have a better VI than it does? This is the discrepancy I'm trying to reconcile

Could it be that a superior base stock like GTL doesn't need them to the extent that lower quality base stocks do?
I don't expect an honest answer on this board.

Define "need"? It's able to meet the requirement of a 0W20 oil without using the more advanced viscosity improvers used in high-VI oils, so sure--it would appear that they don't "need" them. Could a more advanced base stock benefit from those more advanced viscosity improvers? Maybe! It depends what parameters are most important to you. For someone doing a lot of extended highway driving with a direct injection turbo, it's probably not that important or even preferred; for the 3-10 mile trips which comprise most driving, the lighter viscosity at start-up seems like it would have some benefit.

Just knowing how dealers work in terms of their parts departments and markups on parts, I don't think their oil, namely speaking Toyota or Honda 0W20 is costing them much. When a dealer can take a $2 part that you'd find in a local parts store and sell it for $10, do you really think they're giving oil away or losing money on it? I bet the oil is cheap, and sold with a nice markup. Please note I said cheap, not bad. They probably want it produced cheaply so they will be able to sell it at a competitive price and still make a nice profit. To think its better than something from Pennsoil, Castrol, Mobil, Amsoil, Red Line, etc. would be wrong. JMO

Thanks FoxS.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the NOACK of M1 0W-40 is a shade under 9.0; 8.8 or 8.9 if I'm not mistaken.

It is 8.8%.

Quote:
Define "need"? It's able to meet the requirement of a 0W20 oil without using the more advanced viscosity improvers used in high-VI oils, so sure--it would appear that they don't "need" them.

What is the spec or requirement for the amount of VI in 0w20?
Define need. Really?
The question was self explanatory. Does a better base stock need high VI to achieve the same performance as a lesser base stock using higher VI.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Define "need"? It's able to meet the requirement of a 0W20 oil without using the more advanced viscosity improvers used in high-VI oils, so sure--it would appear that they don't "need" them.

What is the spec or requirement for the amount of VI in 0w20?
Define need. Really?
The question was self explanatory. Does a better base stock need high VI to achieve the same performance as a lesser base stock using higher VI.

Sorry, the question isn't really self explanatory--that's why I asked! "Same performance"? by definition oils of different VI do not offer the same performance--the higher VI oil is thinner at startup. So, they're not "the same". As far as "better", I guess it depends on what parameters are important to you.

How the majors decide to offer 0w20 is a commercial decision. Toyota et al spec 0w20 SN GF5 so Pennzoil meet that spec as cheaply as possible with the caveat that they need to have enough detergent to keep the cleaning claim as that's their marketing angle. They do this because they are a profit making entity and 99.999% of customers couldn't care less about the spec beyond it saying 0w20 on the bottle. Same as dealers and garages who have to buy 0w20 in bulk.

Being cheap doesn't mean it's bad. They'll just tweak what they already use for other grades as that will most likely be the cheapest way of offering the new grade.

They're not thinking about Caterhams VI requirement and they're not thinking about somebody else's Noack requirement. They're just thinking of $.

If moly was the holy grail, would that make it holy moly?

And if they ever got to having an oil at the right viscosity regardless of temperature, it would be difficult containing an oil spill. There would be a lot of different "holy" phrases being said at that point.

Just knowing how dealers work in terms of their parts departments and markups on parts, I don't think their oil, namely speaking Toyota or Honda 0W20 is costing them much. [/quote]

The dealer cost was around $4.50 a quart last time I was buying it. Dealers selling it for $9.99 are making a lot of money on it--dealers selling it at $4.99 are making a lot less.... But that said, there's no telling how much of the cost (either R&D or production) is being rolled into the price that is charged to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When a dealer can take a $2 part that you'd find in a local parts store and sell it for $10, do you really think they're giving oil away or losing money on it? I bet the oil is cheap, and sold with a nice markup. Please note I said cheap, not bad. They probably want it produced cheaply so they will be able to sell it at a competitive price and still make a nice profit. To think its better than something from Pennsoil, Castrol, Mobil, Amsoil, Red Line, etc. would be wrong. JMO

There are lot of problems with that analogy. First off, that $10.00 part can probably be had for $5.00 at another dealer, since dealer pricing varies greatly (unlike parts stores). Some dealers keystone everything, others sell for a fraction over cost and make it up in volume. Secondly, the $2.00 part is probably being sold at a higher margin since it's a Chinese piece of junk. Lastly, do you actively see dealers actively pushing the high-VI 0W20 oils? Except for a couple, I certainly don't. Many Toyota dealers don't even use it, as there are cheaper, higher margin alternatives available. Ultimately, I'd rather look at the properties of the oil and make a purchasing decision vs. worrying about what other companies don't do. JMO...

Originally Posted By: JOD
The dealer cost was around $4.50 a quart last time I was buying it. Dealers selling it for $9.99 are making a lot of money on it--dealers selling it at $4.99 are making a lot less.... But that said, there's no telling how much of the cost (either R&D or production) is being rolled into the price that is charged to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When a dealer can take a $2 part that you'd find in a local parts store and sell it for $10, do you really think they're giving oil away or losing money on it? I bet the oil is cheap, and sold with a nice markup. Please note I said cheap, not bad. They probably want it produced cheaply so they will be able to sell it at a competitive price and still make a nice profit. To think its better than something from Pennsoil, Castrol, Mobil, Amsoil, Red Line, etc. would be wrong. JMO

There are lot of problems with that analogy. First off, that $10.00 part can probably be had for $5.00 at another dealer, since dealer pricing varies greatly (unlike parts stores). Some dealers keystone everything, others sell for a fraction over cost and make it up in volume. Secondly, the $2.00 part is probably being sold at a higher margin since it's a Chinese piece of junk. Lastly, do you actively see dealers actively pushing the high-VI 0W20 oils? Except for a couple, I certainly don't. Many Toyota dealers don't even use it, as there are cheaper, higher margin alternatives available. Ultimately, I'd rather look at the properties of the oil and make a purchasing decision vs. worrying about what other companies don't do. JMO...

You gave your opinion, I gave mine, that's all. Until we know the cost it takes to make a qt of the oil no one really knows. Knowing how dealers operate, and I do, they want to maximize profit, and probably opted for a cheaper product. Yes costs can vary from dealer to dealer as well as part store to part store, no argument there. The oil companies had just the answer for them with their blend. JMO Maybe it does protect better during the first start of the day and while the engine reaches operating temps. That's where 40% or wear occurs. Maybe the major players are worried more about the other 60% of wear. It's a trade off isn't it? I'd rather have less wear. I was one of the countless people here who saw no fuel savings with the thinner high VI oil.

This new member nailed it here! At least in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
How the majors decide to offer 0w20 is a commercial decision. Toyota et al spec 0w20 SN GF5 so Pennzoil meet that spec as cheaply as possible with the caveat that they need to have enough detergent to keep the cleaning claim as that's their marketing angle. They do this because they are a profit making entity and 99.999% of customers couldn't care less about the spec beyond it saying 0w20 on the bottle. Same as dealers and garages who have to buy 0w20 in bulk.

Being cheap doesn't mean it's bad. They'll just tweak what they already use for other grades as that will most likely be the cheapest way of offering the new grade.

They're not thinking about Caterhams VI requirement and they're not thinking about somebody else's Noack requirement. They're just thinking of $.

Bagged it here again! In my opinion.

If moly was the holy grail, would that make it holy moly?

And if they ever got to having an oil at the right viscosity regardless of temperature, it would be difficult containing an oil spill. There would be a lot of different "holy" phrases being said at that point.

"Same performance"? by definition oils of different VI do not offer the same performance--the higher VI oil is thinner at startup.

Okay fine. So a high quality base stock like GTL/PAO/Ester doesn't have better cold flow properties than a GP I II or III before the VI are added? Is that what you are saying?

This is my point and my question. Does high VI allow a inferior base stock to have similar performance characteristics as a high end base stock.

I know you lust after this stuff, so if you ever come up to Ontario let me know and we'll see if we can't get you some.

Yes, it seems that NO distributors in this country (even the ones who handle Elf, Total, and other obscure {here} Euro brands) are willing to touch this stuff, sadly enough.
frown.gif

I'd agree with this if the distribution models where the same, but they aren't. I don't think oil sales are a big consideration for Mazda or Toyota, but they certainly are for SOPUS and Mobil, etc. There also aren't a lot of associated costs in the distribution and marketing of their lubricants. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were much less margin in the OEM lubricants.

That's true, but another issue is that the OEM oils aren't manufactured by the OEMs themselves. They do go to oil companies to have the product produced. So, it's certainly not that XOM et al don't know how to produce such an oil. I do realize, however, that things like Sustina are obviously formulated for a different VI than those from SOPUS, for instance.

Obviously it's all speculation, but my guess is that cost plays a part.

Certainly. But, in comparison, it's not like it's exactly cheap for XOM and SOPUS to be using Group IV and the latest Group III+ base stocks, either. Of course, as you point out, the distribution model for OEM oils isn't the same as the others.

Obviously, some oil companies are going for the high VI stuff and marketing it to the general public, like Eneos. I suppose if Ford and Chrysler began to push for higher VIs, we might see changes at SOPUS, XOM, and so forth.

Nonetheless, this still doesn't tell us if there are any technical tradeoffs from going to a very high VI, or, more accurately, depending upon which ways they get the very high VI. Or are the tradeoffs simply cost considerations?

Thanks FoxS.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the NOACK of M1 0W-40 is a shade under 9.0; 8.8 or 8.9 if I'm not mistaken.

If so, then that is GREAT, since Red Line 0W-40 is 9.0%, albeit with a much better 197 VI, but a less desirable (to you) 4.0 HTHSV.
The RL is MY choice for 'thickening up' a mix (for whatever reasons) due to many factors, except cost of course.

Wait, Redline has a VI of ~200?

I thought it was a boutique oil provider immune to such fads.

Wait, Redline has a VI of ~200?

I thought it was a boutique oil provider immune to such fads.

It is ONLY their 0W-40 that has that high a VI. (Which is why CATERHAM believes this is very good stuff, and one of the few RL products he 'endorses', even for the cost.)

Obviously, they are adding VIIs to it (albeit NOT CATERHAM'S fave Asteric PMA type, as far as we know), and using a particularly high VI ester base stock component as well.

There is little doubt that the Japanese OEMs and their partners have "dumped all kinds of money into formulating their high VI oils". The fact that the product is cost effective to the consumer holds no relationship to what it actually cost to develop or to produce.

As for price, one does tend to equate a lower cost product with one that costs less to produce; that certainly isn't an unreasonable assumption.

Could it be that the OEMs are forcing the oil companies to develop/blend these oils at a set price point for sale to them, regardless of what the costs are (a la Wal Mart coercing their various vendors to sell to them at a low price IF they want the contract to sell their products in their stores)??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back